Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Top LCD screen is illuminated but no info - is something wrong?

I'm looking at a K3 and one of the pictures shows the top LCD screen illuminated but there's no data. If the top screen of a K3 is illuminated but there's no info showing (battery level, aperture etc) does that indicate that there's something wrong with the screen? There's another picture that shows the back screen illuminated and showing all the usual info but there's nothing showing both screens lit up at the same time.

07-16-2020, 01:13 AM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi carlb,

You should look at the K3 manual on page 17 Memo and page 26, you can set two lighting levels of your choice in the menu or off.
In addition, when you press the shutter release button, the two displays turn off temporarily until you take the picture.
Let us know if this is what you wanted to say.

Greetings, Mario
07-16-2020, 01:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi carlb,

You should look at the K3 manual on page 17 Memo and page 26, you can set two lighting levels of your choice in the menu or off.
In addition, when you press the shutter release button, the two displays turn off temporarily until you take the picture.
Let us know if this is what you wanted to say.

Greetings, Mario
Thanks Mario but that doesn't appear to be what I'm referring to. The picture that the seller has posted shows the top screen illuminated and the various lines between the different areas of the screen but it doesn't show any figures for aperture, speed etc or even the remaining power in the battery. So it looks like the camera is switched on but there's no information being displayed. I would have thought that if the camera is switched on then at least the battery power level would be displayed there. That's why I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the display........or is what I see in the photo perfectly normal.
07-16-2020, 03:13 AM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
The picture that the seller has posted shows the top screen illuminated and the various lines between the different areas of the screen but it doesn't show any figures for aperture, speed etc or even the remaining power in the battery. So it looks like the camera is switched on but there's no information being displayed. I would have thought that if the camera is switched on then at least the battery power level would be displayed there. That's why I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the display........or is what I see in the photo perfectly normal.
Hi,

But I don't know where you saw it, I own the K3II and I know that you can see the same data on the upper display as on the rear display except for the 4-way selector.
The top display can be activated from menu C3 in three modes, Off and On in Two modes (from menu C3). for more completeness I enclose links to show you the two displays.
This is what I understood. This is what is displayed by the K3 or K3II.

Review of K3

Upper Display

Mario

Last edited by maw; 07-16-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: added link
07-16-2020, 03:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Thanks Mario but that doesn't appear to be what I'm referring to. The picture that the seller has posted shows the top screen illuminated and the various lines between the different areas of the screen but it doesn't show any figures for aperture, speed etc or even the remaining power in the battery. So it looks like the camera is switched on but there's no information being displayed. I would have thought that if the camera is switched on then at least the battery power level would be displayed there. That's why I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the display........or is what I see in the photo perfectly normal.
If you post a copy of the photo we can all see what you see.

07-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi,

But I don't know where you saw it, I own the K3II and I know that you can see the same data on the upper display as on the rear display except for the 4-way selector.
The top display can be activated from menu C3 in three modes, Off and On in Two modes (from menu C3). for more completeness I enclose links to show you the two displays.
This is what I understood. This is what is displayed by the K3 or K3II.

Review of K3

Upper Display

Mario
The picture looks like the picture of the display you posted but without any figures or symbols displayed.
07-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
What you describe is what you see when the camera is off. The light that you assume is the backlight of the LCD is just light from above the camera (to make the picture?). I just tried it myself and under the right circumstances it looks like the camera is on showing the backlight but in reality it is off. If the camera was on and turned to pause mode you would see the battery indicator. If it shows only the lines in the lcd it means that the camera is off but that there is a battery in the camera. If you remove the battery those lines disappear as well.
Thank you