Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 Focusing screen options

Looking for a possible replacement for the (new to me K3), as it seems to have the exact same screen as my beloved K5 which I despise lol

I typically use AF lenses but would like to get back to using some of my MF legacy lenses.
Wouldn't mind a split focus but looking for suggestions that would work well for both AF and MF lenses.

Thanks,

08-03-2020, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one option that helped is the magnifying veiwer, OME-53...

it works so well, I have one on all four of my DSLR's...
08-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one option that helped is the magnifying veiwer, OME-53...

it works so well, I have one on all four of my DSLR's...
I do have the 2x Magnifier (the flippy kind) that works well, but not when I wear glasses.
The OME-53 looks tempting since I cant see much without my glasses
08-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I do have the 2x Magnifier (the flippy kind) that works well, but not when I wear glasses.
The OME-53 looks tempting since I cant see much without my glasses
The O-ME53 provides fairly poor eye-relief (ability to see full frame) with my eyeglasses, but may be different with your prescription.

Steve

08-04-2020, 01:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in my film days, I loved the central microprism of my K2, and hated the split image system when I was forced to replace my stolen K2 with an ME.

Here is the goto place (as I understand it) for replacement focusing screens these days: https://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=4dc637eb6dbfeb324a0a3d2b74992640

If you do a search with the words "focusing screen" in the "search the forums" box near the top right of any Pentax Forums screen, you will see that there have been a number of threads on this topic,with the expected variations of preferences and experiences!!!

I have found my eyes now to be pretty unreliable using the standar clear focusing screens, with my experience of the K50 and now the KP., and am teetering on the edge of ordering the Ec-A Focusing Screen (with central microprism) that worked so well for me in the middle-late 1970s with the Pentax K2.
08-04-2020, 02:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Putting a split focus into the K3 will break disable the spotmeter function, but those are the breaks.

There is a Canon focusing screen that will work in the K3 but AFAIK you have to remove the tab (for handling it) before it will fit. This makes it little tricky to insert and there is no indication which side is up so you have to keep track of that.

You can also file down a focusing screen from a dead film body. There is a thread about that somewhere on this site. You print a little template, stick it on and grind away with a suitable power tool. When you do it right, it will even have the little tab.