Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2021, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
There are a few more areas where the KP bests the K-70 and the K-3. Check out the Camera Comparison tool.
Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Note the Prime IV processor, 27 point AF, and huge advantage of the KP in ISO. I own a KP & K3. Images from the KP at ISO 6400 are as clean as those from the K-3 at ISO 1600. The KP shutter is quiet like the K-3 and, also like the K-3, it takes a battery grip.

---------- Post added 01-13-21 at 07:49 AM ----------

CR - Have you checked your firmware version to see if itís the latest?
Yeah I installed the latest firmware the moment after I opened the package...

And the cheapest used KP I can find is 599 dollars. I bought the K-3 for around 400 so I don't want to go much beyond that.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Christian - can you get an extended warranty from Amazon?
It's a small third party vendor that sells from the Amazon warehouse - which is why returning is easy. But in this case there is no extended warranty, if it was Amazon itself I think I could get it.

01-13-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
pretty sure there is a typo or mistake in that post

the " sensor " is not where the " Super Protect Coating " is applied - it is on the front element of a Pentax lens:

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - What's New | PentaxForums.com Reviews
This time I am afraid you are not correct, Allen. It's stated in the K-70 manual. I believe the KP also has the Super Protect on the sensor, as I think the K-70 was the first one to feature it.

I know you like your reference so I'll give you the Pentax K-70 Q&A from the Ricoh page: PENTAX K-70 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING

And its relevant entry is:

QuoteQuote:
Q: Does the K-70 have any features that help prevent dust from collecting on the image sensor?

Yes. The SP coating on the image sensor helps prevent dust from collecting on the image sensor. Furthermore, DR (the Dust Removal mechanism: activate image sensor) removes dust from the sensor unit.
I love how the Pentax engineers are always thinking about how they can make our lives easier... dust on the sensor is annoying so any help in that regard is always welcome, it's small things like these that make me happy to shoot Pentax.
01-13-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My K-3 has almost 150,000 actions on the shutter. It also has been dropped from 3 feet, at least 5 times once almost 5 feet from the top of a tripod it wasn't correctly secured to. There's not a dent in it and it works the same as the day it arrived years ago.

This is one perils or second hand camera purchases. There's nothing to stop someone from noticing something is failing, then selling it before it fails completely, hoping the new user will be a few years before the disaster happens, effectively letting him/her off the hook. Your complaint is with the seller, not the camera.
Spot on, Norm. I have no beef whatsoever with the K-3, in fact I'm loving it and right now even if I return the K-3 that I have - and which is working totally fine now - I'm tending towards getting another K-3.
01-13-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
This time I am afraid you are not correct, Allen. It's stated in the K-70 manual. I believe the KP also has the Super Protect on the sensor, as I think the K-70 was the first one to feature it.

I know you like your reference so I'll give you the Pentax K-70 Q&A from the Ricoh page: PENTAX K-70 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING

And its relevant entry is:

I love how the Pentax engineers are always thinking about how they can make our lives easier... dust on the sensor is annoying so any help in that regard is always welcome, it's small things like these that make me happy to shoot Pentax.

well, I did say

" pretty sure "

so thanks for adding to my knowledge

I have marked my post to indicate my error

01-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
...and I'm back in the USA...

So since my update on 12/16, and my system resets, the camera has been working flawlessly... even the one stop overexposure issue seems to have fixed itself.

I have until the end of the month to send it to Amazon, but I'm now considering keeping it... I guess it must have been a software glitch? How likely are these problems to come back?

In short, for those who don't want to read the whole thread, the camera in December started locking up repeatedly, until it turned on but the shutter would not work anymore (but e-dials and buttons all still worked). Switching to live view could not get the shutter to work and sometimes it would lock up the entire camera.

After some system resets everything started to work again, the shutter felt better but still a bit "lazy" but that also seemed to go away and now I think it fires exactly like it should... been working with no issues at all since Dec 15...
Back in 2016 the day after I got my K1, my K3 acting up. All the photos had wildly inaccurate colors. The shot looked like what you would get if you "solarized" your film back in the good old days. Nothing worked. All settings looked fine. Pulled and changed batters etc. Finally I bit the bullet and did a system reset. It has worked fine ever since. It could have been that the dryer thinner air in the plane allowed a little static discharge somewhere that corrupted a few bytes in your computer program. Who knows. I think my K3 was pissed that I got the K1.
01-16-2021, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Back in 2016 the day after I got my K1, my K3 acting up. All the photos had wildly inaccurate colors. The shot looked like what you would get if you "solarized" your film back in the good old days. Nothing worked. All settings looked fine. Pulled and changed batters etc. Finally I bit the bullet and did a system reset. It has worked fine ever since. It could have been that the dryer thinner air in the plane allowed a little static discharge somewhere that corrupted a few bytes in your computer program. Who knows. I think my K3 was pissed that I got the K1.
gaweidert, I had a very similar problem with my K-3 about 3.5 years ago when I was up in Chicago for the last Tall Ships event. Couldn't find any wrong settings to account for it, resetting the K-3 took care of the problem. Its been fine since. The attached photo is an example of the "color shifting" it was doing, it seemed to cycle thru a variety tints.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo