Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
dewolf

K-3 vs K-3II AF

Has anyone who has owned both models of the K-3 noticed an improvement in the auto-focus on the K-3II ?
Planning on purchasing a used one in the near future. Apparently new ones are hard to find and quite pricey.
My question is in regards to getting a lock and having less hunting.

Thanks

Dewolf

01-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There were improvements to continuous AF and speed to refocus between shots in that mode. The detailed review on this site has a section on those improvements with the conclusion that the improvement is real, but "slight".

Pentax K-3 II Review - Autofocus and Performance | PentaxForums.com Reviews

This forum thread might also be helpful.

Japanese blogger tests K-3 II AF.C performance against K-3: Measurable improvement - PentaxForums.com

I am curious as to whether respondents to this thread purchased their K-3II with that feature in mind.

Steve
01-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
dewolf

Thanks Steve
I do a lot of birds in flight, and I get reasonable results on the first 2-3 frames, then the AFC seems to be to slow and everything shifts out of focus.
Even if the improvement is slight, it could still benefit me .
01-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The real leap in AF performance is expected to come from the forthcoming K-3iii (due for release in the next few months). But I guess that is out of budget?

I can't comment on the K-3ii v K-3, but have to say that the KP AF seems a little better than my old K-3. (Don't know why - all three use SAFOX 11 and have the same number and configuration of focus points.) It doesn't have the burst rate or buffer size, of course, but it is worth considering. Even for birds in flight, 7fps is pretty good. And the high ISO improvement is a big plus for wildlife photography. I sold my K-3 because I found the KP was better all round. If you like extra heft and more battery life, you can add the battery grip.

Last edited by Des; 01-23-2021 at 03:39 PM.
01-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Has anyone who has owned both models of the K-3 noticed an improvement in the auto-focus on the K-3II ?
Planning on purchasing a used one in the near future. My question is in regards to getting a lock and having less hunting.
Physically they'e identical (SAFOX 11, 27 focus points (25 cross type)), differences are only in firmware/software/functions.
Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 III - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Why not wait for the new K-3 III which arrives this year?
It will have the newest and most developed AF from Pentax.
K-3 III Article Collection - PentaxForums.com
Product stories of new PENTAX K-3 Mark III, APS-C flagship model | RICOH IMAGING
01-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
dewolf

I would love to wait for the K-3 III but I have no way to save that kind of money.
That is why I got a used K-3 at all. It takes a long time to save for me, 8k a year doesn't go far.
Paying for rides to get somewhere to shoot is a bugger lol.
My present K-3 does a decent job initial on tracking, but birds are fast, faster than the AF, many times i cheat bu front focusing while they are coming at me
then spray and pray when they come into focus lol.
Even with my spinal and neurological conditions I can manage to get some good take homes.
It would just be " nice " to have a little better When I purchased the camera from the forum it was a very low shutter count, around 300 images.
It is quickly approaching 200k since that purchase on Mar 14, 2017.
I keep it clean, I gave her a name, and we go out on dates as often as possible.
I could however afford a used K-3 II, perhaps...
Tonight I gave her a good sensor/mirror,af module and contact cleaning.
I change lenses a lot, so dust is bound to get in the way sometimes.
She's like me, twice a year we get a bath, whether we need it or not
My K-5IIs however is far past it's shutter life, and I miss the different soft suble captures it made with its larger photosites.
There is IMO a notable difference, but the K-3 just seems a more lifelike and in depth image.
Sorry, I ramble a lot lol
01-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My present K-3 does a decent job initial on tracking, but birds are fast, faster than the AF, many times i cheat bu front focusing while they are coming at me
then spray and pray when they come into focus lol.
It would just be " nice " to have a little better
Your DA* 300 SDM isn't the fastest focusing lens
Did you try the SDM conversion to screwdrive?

The DA 55-300mm PLM lens is the fastest AF lens from and for Pentax currently. But not as sharp and fast aperture like the DA*.

01-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
dewolf

I have the older version of the 55/300, and it was remarkably sharp at 300mm for the price.
And yes the DA* is slow lol, The conversion did speed things up a little, and made faster adjustments if the subject was out of the set range.
But I did find it hunted a bit more if I was to far off, which occasionally happens.
I have pretty good control over my smaller fine movements, but sometimes a major twitch send me way off track.
I do switch back and forth on the conversion, which is easy since I have the K-5II. The conversion wouldnt work directly on the K-3
so I have to mount the lens on the K-5 to make the switch. But I keep the software on the k-5 flash card
I think making the lens motors faster would be almost as important as getting a better AF
01-23-2021, 06:27 PM - 7 Likes   #9
dewolf

when it works however, it works pretty well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

when it works however, it works pretty well.
Wow! I'd say so!

Steve
01-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Planning on purchasing a used one in the near future. Apparently new ones are hard to find and quite pricey.
My question is in regards to getting a lock and having less hunting.

Thanks

Dewolf
Tbere's not a single advantage in terms of Af performance between K3 and K-3 II as far as I'm concern. I had K-3 II and I've tested it a lot side by side with the K3 of a friend on BIF and sport.

The differences are in features rather than af or image quality.
03-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #12
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Tbere's not a single advantage in terms of Af performance between K3 and K-3 II as far as I'm concern. I had K-3 II and I've tested it a lot side by side with the K3 of a friend on BIF and sport.

The differences are in features rather than af or image quality.
Well, that being said, and all else that was said, I think my funds would be better served upgrading my lenas to something with a little more reach perhaps, maybe a 400mm.
The old K-3 still does a nice job and the k3 iii will be out of reach.

Thanks folks
03-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if your budget allows it

take a look at a D FA 150-450mm

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW telephoto zoom lens was announced at the CP+ tradeshow in February, 2015 in connection with the announcement of a Pentax 24x36mm full-frame DSLR to be introduced late in 2015. Together with the HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 zoom lens these are the first Pentax lenses to cover the 24x36mm full-frame format since the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR lens, which was introduced back in 2009.

While this lens is designed for the 24x36mm full-frame format it can also be used on cameras with the APS-C sensor format. This lens has four autofocus buttons on the lens barrel. These buttons together with the enhanced Quick-shift system provide for a lens that is fast in use and pegs it as a lens designed for sports and wild life. These AF buttons can be used with the K-3 (after a firmware update) and newer cameras. The lens sports rounded diaphragm blades for smooth Bokeh.

It is a variable aperture zoom which helps keep weight and size down.

The key features of this lens are:
* All-weather protection (AW)
* HD coating
* SP coating of the front element
* One super-low dispersion element and three ED elements
* AF buttons on lens barrel
* Enhanced Quick-shift function via a three-way switch on the barrel
* Focus limiter
* Tripod mount

The lens hood has the for Pentax traditional removable piece that allows for easy adjustment of an attached polarizing filter.

The lens has a built-in DC type autofocus motor and no provision for screw drive autofocus. Autofocus is thus not possible with the K100D/K110D and *istD series cameras. Autofocus is not available with film cameras

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-f45-56-ed-dc-aw.html

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 (APS-C)
Introduction
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-prelim/introduction.html
03-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #14
dewolf

ouch lol, yea I have a very small budget. I would love that, but I would have to steal it
03-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

ouch lol, yea I have a very small budget. I would love that, but I would have to steal it
DA 55-300mm PLM - 400€: Fastest AF Tele Lens for your K-3
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database