Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2021, 03:23 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excited about the K3mk3

I know there are discussions all over the place about the K3mk3, I'm super excited about it. I've owned a K3 since about 2014 or 2015, and it's been and still is a great camera. I'm still the weak link in the equation, but having slightly boosted stats is going to be really helpful. I was shooting dogs racing around today, a few extra FPS will be great for this kind of work.

I've really put my K3 through it's paces and it's doing well, looking forward to it's successor, I think it's going to be great!

01-23-2021, 04:03 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really looking forward to seeing the K3iii as well and I think it will be well worth the wait. I also feel that there's going to be a surprise or two in there, even though they have released the specs. Given that the DSLR market seems to be shrinking, I think Ricoh's approach with Pentax of fewer (but high quality) models, and maybe positioning it as a niche player, is actually a wise move. As I've said countless times here - I think Pentax is in good hands.
01-23-2021, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I'm really looking forward to seeing the K3iii as well and I think it will be well worth the wait. I also feel that there's going to be a surprise or two in there, even though they have released the specs. Given that the DSLR market seems to be shrinking, I think Ricoh's approach with Pentax of fewer (but high quality) models, and maybe positioning it as a niche player, is actually a wise move. As I've said countless times here - I think Pentax is in good hands.
I agree! +1
01-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Hi Carl
Its almost like the old saying

" If you can't beat them ... buy them "

Only because they were both players in the slr days.

01-23-2021, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I know there are discussions all over the place about the K3mk3, I'm super excited about it. I've owned a K3 since about 2014 or 2015, and it's been and still is a great camera. I'm still the weak link in the equation, but having slightly boosted stats is going to be really helpful. I was shooting dogs racing around today, a few extra FPS will be great for this kind of work.

I've really put my K3 through it's paces and it's doing well, looking forward to it's successor, I think it's going to be great!

Yes

But your current K3 does a good job also.

Its hard to show a excellent photo and then use it against you want better.

Dave
01-24-2021, 06:02 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
But your current K3 does a good job also.Its hard to show a excellent photo and then use it against you want better.

Well, being excited about and wishing for new gear is not quite the same as saying you absolutely need it for a given job. Sure, with the right settings, technique, and coupled with the right lens, it is possible to pull off pretty decent action shots with the classic K-3. But the keeper rate could be higher, and if your subject is moving at anything more than a leisurely pace towards the camera (think, children or pets at play), it's getting kinda hard to achieve anything much that's critically in focus. (At least, that has been my experience, even if my screw-driven AF lenses were not particularly suited to the task.) For the pic of the dolphin, I prefocused my non-PLM 55-300 and otherwise waited till the animal changed its course to sideways, before I tracked it in a burst of several shots. If the K-3 III actually made this kind of shooting a little easier and more likely to produce in-focus results, that wouldn't be a mean feat, in my book.

01-24-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Well, being excited about and wishing for new gear is not quite the same as saying you absolutely need it for a given job. Sure, with the right settings, technique, and coupled with the right lens, it is possible to pull off pretty decent action shots with the classic K-3. But the keeper rate could be higher, and if your subject is moving at anything more than a leisurely pace towards the camera (think, children or pets at play), it's getting kinda hard to achieve anything much that's critically in focus. (At least, that has been my experience, even if my screw-driven AF lenses were not particularly suited to the task.) For the pic of the dolphin, I prefocused my non-PLM 55-300 and otherwise waited till the animal changed its course to sideways, before I tracked it in a burst of several shots. If the K-3 III actually made this kind of shooting a little easier and more likely to produce in-focus results, that wouldn't be a mean feat, in my book.

What Madaboutpix said. In that particular dog fly by, I think I got 3 or 4 shots in, upping the FPS count would probably help squeeze another shot or two in, which would be handy/increase the rate of getting a keeper.

Nice shot!

01-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

So the difference is the rate you have to work for a photo.
Making you " lazy ' is not always a good thing

I too would like the new K3-3
01-24-2021, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
So the difference is the rate you have to work for a photo.
Making you " lazy ' is not always a good thing

I too would like the new K3-3
It seems like you’re looking to start an argument, I won’t partake. Good day!
01-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

It seems like you’re looking to start an argument, I won’t partake. Good day!
Not at all

Have a good day too
01-25-2021, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the KP and the K3 and can often tell the difference in IQ. The K3 is brilliant but there is that extra level of sharpness on the KP which you should also get on the K3iii. Using the KP didn't make me lazy, quite the opposite in fact. I could now physically see there was more to come from each image so worked harder to maximise potential both on my KP and my K3, and it has made me a better photographer as I no longer settle for decent images. I won't be buying the K3iii, because a)I am skint & 2)my KP is excellent, ... but mostly the first one! I am still excited about its release and for the time being will enjoy seeing it in the hands of pentaxians
01-25-2021, 05:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have the KP and the K3 and can often tell the difference in IQ. The K3 is brilliant but there is that extra level of sharpness on the KP which you should also get on the K3iii. Using the KP didn't make me lazy, quite the opposite in fact. I could now physically see there was more to come from each image so worked harder to maximise potential both on my KP and my K3, and it has made me a better photographer as I no longer settle for decent images. I won't be buying the K3iii, because a)I am skint & 2)my KP is excellent, ... but mostly the first one! I am still excited about its release and for the time being will enjoy seeing it in the hands of pentaxians
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the upgraded sensor. The K3 was a big upgrade for me at the time, it'll be great to get a bump up on performance once again. I came to Pentax from Olympus around 2015. The low light and general everything of the K3 was a great step up. I have no complaints with the K3's performance now, but I'll welcome a subtle step up.

Oh and PIXEL SHIFT MODE. Sorely missing from the K3.

One thing I sorely wish was part of the K3iii UI was the ability to dial up longer exposures. I do a bit of astro, and being able to set it to say a 10 minute exposure would be great.

Last edited by bobbotron; 01-25-2021 at 05:39 AM.
02-02-2021, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to the K-3 III. I'm definitely getting one and will be an early adopter.
The 307,000 pixel RGBir sensor, highlight weighted metering, 1 stop higher ISO capability (compared to the KP), improved AF, and improved AF tracking, 12 fps shooting, bigger brighter more magnified viewfinder. These are ALL items that are needed for wildlife/bird photography as most of the time, you're shooting early in the morning and then again at dawn when the animals are most active. I'm sure there'll be more to the camera as well, but those will just be bonuses to what's already been stated.
02-03-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I'm looking forward to the K-3 III. I'm definitely getting one and will be an early adopter.
The 307,000 pixel RGBir sensor, highlight weighted metering, 1 stop higher ISO capability (compared to the KP), improved AF, and improved AF tracking, 12 fps shooting, bigger brighter more magnified viewfinder. These are ALL items that are needed for wildlife/bird photography as most of the time, you're shooting early in the morning and then again at dawn when the animals are most active. I'm sure there'll be more to the camera as well, but those will just be bonuses to what's already been stated.
Just make sure you review it. I can't afford a K3iii but enjoying it vicariously I can manage
02-03-2021, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Just make sure you review it. I can't afford a K3iii but enjoying it vicariously I can manage
Oh absolutely I'll be reviewing it! Starting with the unboxing, features, set up, shooting, pluses minuses, surprises, comparing to the K-3... There'll be a ton to go over for quite a while. It'll be an interesting journey!