Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Did the K3 use backup battery ?

Hi there,

My K3-1 time clock reset due to no/low battery after I removed the main battery for change, I got this problem only recently, my K3 is 7yrs. old so backup battery ran dry is normal, and my oldest battery was dated 2010 from the K5 (did it use the same battery I forgot), I normally use the battery grip so that I will not have empty battery problem, only recently I removed the grip to reduce weight. In most electronics gadgets the backup battery is easy accessible for replacement so I thought the same on the K3, so I open the bottom cover hopefully can see it and replace myself, no nothing interested me in there, and I don't want to dig further to break it. Since other settings intact they are stored on flash memory, I am not sure the design of K3, or all DSLR does not use backup battery for time clock ? if I were the designer I would use ultracap for the time clock, although easy it is still better no need to correct the time clock every time replace the main battery if it takes more than few seconds.

Attached Images

02-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #2

The backup battery is on the front side of the mainboard. You have to remove the mainboard to access it. It is soldered on.

See these threads
My K-3 keeps forgetting time and date - PentaxForums.com
K-3 Prompts for Date/Time when changing battery - PentaxForums.com
My K3 seems to auto reset its time and date. - PentaxForums.com
Tutorial: Change Back-up Battery Pentax K-30, K-50, K-500 - PentaxForums.com
02-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, that's look not easy to replace it like I thought, but I also want to clean the dirt on the prism may worth to try
05-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You follow those steps as show here:
Tutorial: Change Back-up Battery Pentax K-30, K-50, K-500 - PentaxForums.com
Tutorial: Repair E-Dials Pentax K3 (also K7/5 etc.) - PentaxForums.com
When you have the back off, how to remove the mainboard is quite clear, but a bit of soldering.