Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #1

L bracket for the K3

when using K3 with grip on a tri-pod it's effetely it's upside down , an L bracket seems to be the only option but what type of head do you need and would that go with my velbon sherpa 300 the head on it at the moment is the ph-157q I don't think that will work with a L bracket please advise .

04-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've actually been having similar thoughts regarding my K-1ii that I always use with a grip. I am thinking the solution is an head with an Arca Swiss style attachment, and a generic Arca Swiss style L-bracket to go with it, something like this one from B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/964627-REG/sunwayfoto_dal_1_arca_l_pl...981&
04-12-2021, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an L-bracket for Arca swiss plate on my Sirui K-20X ball head. The ball head included the Arca Swiss plate. A shortcut to the L-bracket similar to mine is below. As I mentioned, it needs to be mounted to an Arca Swiss plate. In case you are interested in ball heads with Arca Swiss plates included, I would recommend the Sirui brand ball heads.

amazon.com: Koolehaoda Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket for Camera Benro Arca Swiss Standard?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Below is a shortcut to a Sirui brand ball head in case you are interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-K-20X-Ball-Head-Black/dp/B004QC1EOO?th=1

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-12-2021 at 02:37 PM.
04-12-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience with an L-bracket on a K-3-II with a battery grip is that you will need an adjustable bracket. The battery grip's tripod socket is not centered and the same L-bracket that works on the camera will not work on the grip (too short). Here's one on Amazon from Three-Legged Thing.

04-12-2021, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by I robert Quote
when using K3 with grip on a tri-pod it's effetely it's upside down , an L bracket seems to be the only option but what type of head do you need and would that go with my velbon sherpa 300 the head on it at the moment is the ph-157q I don't think that will work with a L bracket please advise .
This one mestos: Pentax K3 L-Plate for Grip only ,originally for a K3 including grip, also works for the K1 including grip. Just minor adjustment needed on L-bracket or on battery door. As a grip always comes with an additional AA battery door I didn't mind filing of some material. It is hardly visible.....If you don't know you won't notice.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Hisense A2T  Photo 

Last edited by Haenzel; 04-14-2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: adding picture
04-12-2021, 03:59 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I use a couple of Three legged Thing Universal L Brackets.

This is a K3 setup with battery grip, I do the same with a K1.

When I shoot low to the ground (even tho the screen will invert, The camera controls do not).

Ya, I know, I never said I do anything normal.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-13-2021, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
thank you all for your advice

04-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i found a combination of promediagear PLX4 and the PBX3 works on the K-3 with a grip its two pieces that make a very strong adjustable bracket and has worked well for me. the only drawback is it has to be removed to change the batteries.
04-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

An L bracket on a regular size Swiss Arca plate/ball head works fine.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-14-2021 at 02:28 PM.
04-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
This one mestos: Pentax K3 L-Plate for Grip only ,originally for a K3 including grip, also works for the K1 including grip. Just minor adjustment needed on L-bracket or on battery door. As a grip always comes with an additional AA battery door I didn't mind filing of some material. It is hardly visible.....If you don't know you won't notice.

YES, exactly what I have done on my K-1 grip as well. I also like that the bracket fits very closely to the forme of the Camera, and it also acts like a protective cage for the camera as well.

I still use the Mestos on my K-5 and K-3, infact I have another two of the PD-K3HL l-brackets on there way to me now, as I want one for my K-3iii.

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
i found a combination of promediagear PLX4 and the PBX3 works on the K-3 with a grip its two pieces that make a very strong adjustable bracket and has worked well for me. the only drawback is it has to be removed to change the batteries.
I have also used the Promediagear blackets. It worked well, but , was a little bulky, I really liked it as it could also act as a flash bracket, when you extended out the vertical part, and mount a cold shoe on top.

see here. K-1 L-Bracket... My solution - PentaxForums.com

cmohr

Last edited by cmohr; 04-14-2021 at 03:34 PM. Reason: more info
04-26-2021, 12:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The solution of @ roadboat24 is interesting.
04-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote

When I shoot low to the ground (even tho the screen will invert, The camera controls do not).

Fascinating!

Cheers,
Loyd
05-11-2021, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote

That *is* a great setup. I have two regular L-brackets (one for each K-3 II) and one high L-bracket (I only have one battery grip) from 3LeggedThing, so I could do this as well. Never thought about it. Great idea that I'll have to remember!!
05-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you post a couple of photos taken with this set up?

Cheers,
Loyd