Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anybody ever tried Minolta MD lenses on a Pentax K mount with a Fotodiox adapter ?

I just got this Fotodiox adapter with a few glass elements in the middle. Are Minolta MD lenses good enough for a Pentax K3 sensor ? Did anybody ever tried this combination ?

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-21-2021 at 02:21 AM.
04-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Link to adapter would be helpful??

You might have some issues with focusing to infinity and coupling the auto features of the lens, but if the Minolta lens performs good optically on a Minolta camera, it's optical performance should be good on a Pentax (assuming you achieve good focus).
04-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
unfortunately, the glass elements in that adapter may degrade the images...

nothing wrong at all with Minolta lenses, but difficult to adapt to the k-mount..
04-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

I have a glassless adapter that I use on my Minolta bellows and macro lenses. I haven't bothered with one with glass elements. The glassless ones available from China on eBay have a larger opening than the Fotodiox or eBay ones with lenses. The Fotodiox lens may be removable but you get some vignetting even on a crop sensor at longer (>75mm) extension depending on the lens due to the smaller opening.

The adapters don't cost much (unless it is the "pro" series). Might be worth trying and seeing how you like the results.

04-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just to expand a bit on the above comments, the main issue with adapting Minolta SR mount to Pentax-K is that the flange distance is shorter for Minolta, resulting loss of infinity focus unless a auxiliary glass element is part of the adapter. One can use a glass-free adapter, but it will function as a short extension tube that will disallow focus at a distance.

Steve
04-20-2021, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time I have used a Minolta lens with a Pentax body (in my case a MD Rokkor 1.7/50 with a Pentax K5) was in reversed position.

During my film days I was shooting only with Minolta. Some of their camera bodies were just outstanding (X500, X700, XD-7) and they had good glass, no doubt.
But as others have stated already, adapters with glass elements can change the IQ significantly.
04-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a large collection of Minolta Rokkor lenses waiting for Pentax to release a MILC with short registration distance (i.e. not the K-01). I have read everywhere that the adapters with optical elements in them degrade the image quality, so I have not pursued that. The beautiful Rokkor lenses don't deserve that. When I get tired of waiting for Pentax, I will purchase a MILC from another brand and get the proper adapter for my Rokkor lenses.

---------- Post added 04-20-21 at 12:24 PM ----------

...the question of whether the Minolta lenses are "good enough" for the K3 is the wrong question. You should ask whether the adapter is good enough.

The Minolta lenses are more than good enough.

04-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
I have a large collection of Minolta Rokkor lenses waiting for Pentax to release a MILC with short registration distance (i.e. not the K-01). I have read everywhere that the adapters with optical elements in them degrade the image quality, so I have not pursued that. The beautiful Rokkor lenses don't deserve that. When I get tired of waiting for Pentax, I will purchase a MILC from another brand and get the proper adapter for my Rokkor lenses.

---------- Post added 04-20-21 at 12:24 PM ----------

...the question of whether the Minolta lenses are "good enough" for the K3 is the wrong question. You should ask whether the adapter is good enough.

I tried the waiting part, even by changing the mount on a K-S1 (adaptist), but it just wasn't enough..

so now I have a pair of Fuji bodies...
04-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The best way to adapt other brand lenses, in order to achieve maximum optical quality IMO is by modifying them. simple ring adapted will lose infinity focus al least. lens adapters on the other way will not only deter the optical quality but will also give a crop factor.
I would suggest learning about flange distances and trying to modify one yourself. there are plenty of tutorials online on this.
04-20-2021, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I tried the waiting part, even by changing the mount on a K-S1 (adaptist), but it just wasn't enough..

so now I have a pair of Fuji bodies...
I'm pretty certain I will be joining you in this soon.
04-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used Minolta film cameras from 1967 to 2010. I have 6 bodies plus 25 MC and MD lenses from 16 mm f/2.8 fisheye to 500 mm f/8 catadioptric. My best lenses were the MD 400 mm f/5.6 APO and the MD 100-300 mm f/5.6 zoom. So sad the company abandonned us.

Regards
04-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I'm pretty ignorant on Minolta lenses. I picked up a couple in a group purchase - a Minolta brand 70-210 and a Sigma brand 28-80. Both have little sign of use; optics are absolutely pristine clear; mechanics are smooth. I have no idea if MC or MD.

I did plan to clean house of such items this spring. I never expected much interest in Minolta glass from Pentax users.
04-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'm pretty ignorant on Minolta lenses. I picked up a couple in a group purchase - a Minolta brand 70-210 and a Sigma brand 28-80. Both have little sign of use; optics are absolutely pristine clear; mechanics are smooth. I have no idea if MC or MD.

I did plan to clean house of such items this spring. I never expected much interest in Minolta glass from Pentax users.
It's either an MD lens or an auto-focus (alpha) lens. Table of all Minolta manual focus lenses is here:

MINOLTA Manual Lens List
04-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's either an MD lens or an auto-focus (alpha) lens. Table of all Minolta manual focus lenses is here:

MINOLTA Manual Lens List
Technically MD is a subset of the SR mount.

QuoteQuote:
1. SR - 1958-1966: Plain SR-bayonet featuring automatic diaphragm. Lenses are labelled Rokkor (pre-set) or Auto Rokkor (automatic diaphragm)

2. MC - 1966-1977: Meter coupling added (often called MC mount) allowing full-aperture TTL measurement. Lenses are labelled MC Rokkor.

3. MD - 1977-2001: MD lever added, which allows the reading of the smallest available aperture, often referred to as MD mount. Lenses are labelled MD Rokkor or MD.

4. MD X-600 - 1983-1998: X-600 mount extension reporting the maximum aperture of the lens to the camera body, which then engaged different auto focus confirmation sensors in the camera body.
Investing in a used mirrorless is really the best way to adapt lenses. I bought an X-T20 just to adapt lenses, I'll probably never own a native FX-mount lens. Though some of the Chinese manual focus lenses are tempting.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.
04-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Technically MD is a subset of the SR mount.
Yeah, to clarify, I meant that no SR-mount zoom lenses were made with this focal length range prior to the "MD" generation, so the lens mentioned must be from the "MD" generation of the SR-mount, or an alpha-mount autofocus lens.

QuoteQuote:
Investing in a used mirrorless is really the best way to adapt lenses. I bought an X-T20 just to adapt lenses, I'll probably never own a native FX-mount lens. Though some of the Chinese manual focus lenses are tempting.
Yup, I'm on the same page here. My eventual short-distance registry MILC will probably only ever be used with vintage manual focus lenses.

~ Jon