Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

K-5 was my favourite camera, and I enjoyed it a lot. But after I bought the K3-II, my K5 was mostly getting dust. I can compare K5 against the mk II series, but I suppose most points are the same for the mk I.

Positive points for K3-II (in my opinion/experience)

* greater resolution. Yes, this can be more or less important for you
* better AWB in general compared to the K5
* faster and responsive
* better viewfinder
* better back LCD panel
* 2x SD slots
* lacks A/A filter. K3-II will give you sharper pictures compared to the K5, but you can get moire sometimes. K3-II can simulate AA filter, but in general I have this feature disabled.
* autofocus, improved speed and accuracy. K3-II have more focusing points and new AF algorith, also it has 3 central points that works at f/2,8 apperture. I noticed better accuracy with the K3-II, compared to older Pentax cameras. For example, I can focus with my old tamron 28-75mm with some confidence now. In general focusing is faster and more accurate. I don't use a lot the automatic focusing modes, mostly just the central focusing points.
* Flash support. The K5 (and other cameras) have some problems with my Metz flash in P-TTL. First, in general, they overexpose near 1EV. Second, they just don't work if you bounce the flash. This have been fixed in the K3-II.
* astrotracer & GPS
* there are a lot of other small refinements like better timelapse modes, stabilization... I can't remember all.

Negative points:
- K5 have better ISO and dinamic range, it's not dramatic but there is a noticeable difference.
- K3-II doesn't have pop-up flash

Regards.

04-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
What is your lens collection like at the moment? For pentax?What are the lenses you think live up to sharpness of today's autofocus lenses?
I'm going to be picking up the 21mm, probably the 70mm and something in the middle. I'm coming from Fuji where the options are not limited, but so expensive they might as well be.
04-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm going to be picking up the 21mm, probably the 70mm and something in the middle. I'm coming from Fuji where the options are not limited, but so expensive they might as well be.
you might be able to save some money if you don't mind " experienced " equipment and go for the SDM variants of the DA Limiteds

QuoteQuote:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction
At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe. ....

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have always had good luck buying " experienced " equipment from the members through the forums' marketplace " buy/sell "

it can be sorted by country

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1
04-27-2021, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you might be able to save some money if you don't mind " experienced " equipment and go for the SDM variants of the DA Limiteds

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I have always had good luck buying " experienced " equipment from the members through the forums' marketplace " buy/sell "

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com
Oh I've already found some stuff to pick up (I'm an experienced Pentaxian - just took a little Fuji break for a few years).

05-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No one has mentionned it yet but the shutter sound of the K3 is much quieter, indicating a better damped and more robust shutter box (projected life of 200 000 actuations for the K3 versus 100 000 for the K5).
05-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
No one has mentionned it yet but the shutter sound of the K3 is much quieter, indicating a better damped and more robust shutter box (projected life of 200 000 actuations for the K3 versus 100 000 for the K5).
The k-3 also has a separate motor for priming the shutter before each shot, rather than coupling off the mirror motor. This may well make a difference to the sound, and helps to make the burst rate slightly higher on the K-3. It also has the secondary benefit of allowing the mirror to stay up during live view, as the mirror no longer has to cycle to prime the shutter for each shot, and again to re-engage live-view.
05-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #22
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
That's true and one of the clear benefits when upgrading from K-5 to K-3. Yet, if I remember right, the first time I got K-5, I felt it was rather quiet already. Has anyone measured the difference with a decibel meter?

07-01-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I have a K1 and a K5. I still use my K5, mostly attached to my Sigma 150-500, where it performs yeoman duty. Great pix of wild birds, but birds in flight such as pelicans. I've never been a fans of small songbird pix, give me a duck, a raptor, a pelican.
02-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just as an FYI, my K5iis has astrotracer. Not that I've been extremely tempted by the K3ii. I keep telling myself, "it's ok to have 2 good quality DSLRs. Really, it is."
02-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
. . . . I keep telling myself, "it's ok to have 2 good quality DSLRs. Really, it is."
you are supposed to stop at two

not so loud, my wife could hear you