Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Thinking of getting a K-3 - advantage over the K-5?

I've been looking at the K-3 lately because of the dual SD slots and it's honestly not much larger than the K-5 from what I see in comparisons. I've owned a few K-5 in the past, and the biggest complaint I had was the card writing being painfully slow, even on single shot. Other than that, I've always loved the camera and I'm excited to jump back into Pentax after deciding Fujifilm is fun...for a while, and then it gets boring really fast when you can't afford more than one or two lenses.

04-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this info might be helpful

K 5 vs. K 3

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

the K 3 is a good camera and an improvement over the K 5
04-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The speed of writing also depends on the corrections you have set. My K-7 was "painfully" slow, until I disabled lens correction settings. Even the K-3's are slower with the corrections on. I tried it with my K-3 II. But also the write speed of the SD card is influencing the speed with which the shots are written to the memorycard. After buying a better card I can now set the lens correction on and I hardly notice that that slows the writing to card. Try it, I would say. The K-3 (II) is a great camera.
04-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this info might be helpful

K 5 vs. K 3

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

the K 3 is a good camera and an improvement over the K 5
I see you have the K1 Mk.ll and the K3 lll.

Of course one is a full frame, the other is a ASP-C, and as the old English saying goes..... comparisons are odious. But what comes to mind , if you were to compare the two.

04-23-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I see you have the K1 Mk.ll and the K3 lll.

Of course one is a full frame, the other is a ASP-C, and as the old English saying goes..... comparisons are odious. But what comes to mind , if you were to compare the two.
for me, full frame sensor of the K 1 family is good for some photographic goals

and the ASP-C sensor is good for other photographic goals

so that is why I convinced my wife to allow me to have both full frame DSLR and ASP-C Sensor DSLRs

and of course I just got my hands on the Pentax K 3 III Silver Premium kit today

the K 10d I obtained for the CCD Sensor
04-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have 2 K5's and a K3. I prefer shooting with the K3. AF is a noticable step up and I would say it's the biggest advantage. I prefer the minor button layout changes on the K3 but handling is very similar. I also like having 24mpx vs 16mpx. Image quality isn't dramatically different but the K3 is prone to exaggerate noise if you apply too much sharpening or don't use masking, but I wouldn't call it a noisy sensor. Both are good but as I said the K3 is my go to apsc body and is taken along as backup for my K1. The K5's are nice but I have no reason to shoot with them having a K3 around. They get used by my kids and may go up for sale with the K3III out now.
04-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've been looking at the K-3 lately because of the dual SD slots and it's honestly not much larger than the K-5 from what I see in comparisons. I've owned a few K-5 in the past, and the biggest complaint I had was the card writing being painfully slow, even on single shot. Other than that, I've always loved the camera and I'm excited to jump back into Pentax after deciding Fujifilm is fun...for a while, and then it gets boring really fast when you can't afford more than one or two lenses.
TBH I never noticed my K-5 being “slow”. Faster card? What were you shooting?
Anyway. I had a K-5 and eventually “upgraded “ to the K-3. I would say that the images from the K-3 are more forgiving and the AF was definitely an improvement for BIF.
The K-3 is heavier but the ergonomics are different and will suit people in different ways. Me? I still prefer the handling of the K-5.
I bought the K-1 - whole different ball-game - and gave the K-3 to my wife. A little while later I was missing APSC for different reasons and bought a K-3 again but have also since bought a K-5iis. I will sell the K-3. The K-5 series gives better (IMHO) results for astrophotography and I also believe suits the DA ltd primes better too.
So...... it has to come down to how you want to use the camera. The K5 and the K-3 have advantages over each other so how do you want to use the camera?

04-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I never use my K5 anymore, the K3 was a decent upgrade. I would get the K3II just for the astrotracer.

---------- Post added 04-23-21 at 04:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I never use my K5 anymore, the K3 was a decent upgrade. I would get the K3II just for the astrotracer.
I forgot there is one big negative and that's the battery life. The K5 is awsome. IQ is about the same imo.
04-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just picked up a used K3 II to replace a broken K5 IIs and I find it superior in many areas. Dual card slot, astrotracer used mainly for GPS, faster frame rate, extra pixels, higher ISO. Only thing that annoys me is the rear AF button has moved slightly. I will get used to that in time.
04-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say the main advantages of the K-3 over the K-5 are the dual card slots, improved metering and improved AF performance. The advantage of the increased resolution will depend on your personal needs, as it comes with some possible degradation in low light performance. Handling wise, the cameras are very similar but the grips are slightly different, and personal preference may well depend on your hand size (I prefer the feel of the K-5 but still use a K-3 for other reasons).
04-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
for me, full frame sensor of the K 1 family is good for some photographic goals

and the ASP-C sensor is good for other photographic goals

so that is why I convinced my wife to allow me to have both full frame DSLR and ASP-C Sensor DSLRs

and of course I just got my hands on the Pentax K 3 III Silver Premium kit today

the K 10d I obtained for the CCD Sensor
Thx for the info. BTW, I have had my K10D since November 2007. It has been a wonderful camera.

This was the camera that finally convinced me that digital was the way for me, to pursue my photography, after almost 40 years of film, using 35mm SLRs/ Rangefinders and medium format .

It has many shutter actuations and has traveled with me over a lot of Canada and the USA. Always ready to go and perform well. Still to this day.
04-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #12

What is your lens collection like at the moment? For pentax?What are the lenses you think live up to sharpness of today's autofocus lenses?
04-24-2021, 01:03 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
...was "painfully" slow, until I disabled lens correction settings.
just to be sure: the "lens correction" with distortion etc (so in general in-body heavy processing - never used it), not the AF correction (just checked the menu and saw it's not even called "correction" but "fine adjustment"?
04-24-2021, 05:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Never owned the K-5, but I did drool some with the release of the K-5ii and the removal of anti-aliasing. My Pentax digital SLR progression was K-r, K-30, K-3 (first gen - and won't give up that pop-up flash as a means of wirelessly controlling off-camera P-TTL flash). Especially with the loss of hyperfocal scales on digital lens, I really appreciate the stop-down preview on the shutter collar. Beyond that, the K-3 sensor with both the increased pixel count and lower noise at higher ISO gives me greater cropping options without seriously impacting image quality.
04-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I have 2 K5's and a K3. I prefer shooting with the K3. AF is a noticable step up and I would say it's the biggest advantage. I prefer the minor button layout changes on the K3 but handling is very similar. I also like having 24mpx vs 16mpx. Image quality isn't dramatically different but the K3 is prone to exaggerate noise if you apply too much sharpening or don't use masking, but I wouldn't call it a noisy sensor. Both are good but as I said the K3 is my go to apsc body and is taken along as backup for my K1. The K5's are nice but I have no reason to shoot with them having a K3 around. They get used by my kids and may go up for sale with the K3III out now.
Sounds mostly familiar. I had two K-5's when purchased (used) K-3. Many improvements really (24 Mpix, fps, two card slots etc.) but I was a bit disappointed in the noise level at high ISO. With K-5 I could shoot at ISO 1600 with great confidence, but with K-3 only up to ISO 800 with no need to worry about the noise. Solution? Well, I kept using all three (until I got my K-1), as the K-5's are still very good cameras.