Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color profile????

If you shoot RAW it doesn't matter what color profile do you choose?.
It is only for JPG ?.

04-25-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Picot Produccions Quote
If you shoot RAW it doesn't matter what color profile do you choose?.
It is only for JPG ?.
Correct. However, the jpeg embedded in the Raw file will reflect your choice, but does not in any way inhibit you making a different choice in post-processing.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-25-2021 at 02:34 PM.
04-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Correct. However, the jpeg embedded in the Raw file will reflect your choice, but does not in any way inhibit making a different choice in post-processing.
Thank a lot.
04-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Correct. However, the jpeg embedded in the Raw file will reflect your choice, but does not in any way inhibit you making a different choice in post-processing.
I didnt know this, thank you!

04-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
where is makes the most difference is what systems will be in play after the image is transferred out of the camera. You would think the Adobe color space would be easier if you used Adobe's software for post processing. Lightroom/Photoshop doesn't really care, and doubly so if you are post processing from RAW. I used to use the Adobe color space - and still have thousands of images in that color space. In almost every case I have had to convert to the sRGB space before proceeding. All but a handful of more expensive monitors work in the sRGB space, most consumer to semi-pro printers prefer if not require sRGB, for sure you need to use sRGB for any web site you send images for display.

Deciding on PEF vs DNG for RAW images is a different can of worms.
04-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even when shooting raw I like to select the proper profile for the situation because, a lot of times that embedded jpeg preview will not need any further processing and I can just export it.
04-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe it's just me but if I choose muted and take photos then load into rawtherapee it actually seems muted vs bright and it takes more work to get it to the way I want (if it's an image I need to be bright)

Or maybe I'm imagining things.

04-25-2021, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

There is some confusion here. "Colour profile" is used by different people to mean two very different things: "custom image" (in Pentax language, Picture style in Canon, Picture control in Nikon, Creative style in Sony, etc) or "colour space".

On the K1, "Custom Image" may be chosen from Auto Select, Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Radiant, Muted, Flat, Beach Bypass, Reversal Film, Monochrome and Cross Processing. This comes under "Controlling the Image Finishing Tone" in the manual. These are applied to jpegs (and can't completely be undone), and to the preview jpeg embedded in Raw files (and are therefore just the starting point of your post-process edit). In Raw, you have the full colour data irrespective of choice of custom image. You may set custom image using the 3 o'clock button on the 4-way controller (on the K1). Is this what the OP was referring to?

On the other hand, colour space is either sRGB (mostly used for web applications) or AdobeRGB (a larger colour gamut). These specify which colours are to be stored, and only affect jpeg. They are set in the Camera 2 menu. If you shoot Raw, you get the full colour gamut that the sensor can recognise. This is distinct from the custom image setting, which specifies emphasis or de-emphasis of parts of the available gamut (more vibrant reds for example).

Anyway, in each case, Raw is what the name says, "raw". You get a dump of the lot.
04-26-2021, 05:03 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Maybe it's just me but if I choose muted and take photos then load into rawtherapee it actually seems muted vs bright and it takes more work to get it to the way I want (if it's an image I need to be bright)

Or maybe I'm imagining things.
Maybe your default profile turns on "auto-matched tone curve". Try turning it off and it'll give you a more neutral Raw rendering.
04-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
where is makes the most difference is what systems will be in play after the image is transferred out of the camera. You would think the Adobe color space would be easier if you used Adobe's software for post processing. Lightroom/Photoshop doesn't really care, and doubly so if you are post processing from RAW. I used to use the Adobe color space - and still have thousands of images in that color space. In almost every case I have had to convert to the sRGB space before proceeding. All but a handful of more expensive monitors work in the sRGB space, most consumer to semi-pro printers prefer if not require sRGB, for sure you need to use sRGB for any web site you send images for display.

Deciding on PEF vs DNG for RAW images is a different can of worms.
Many thanks for all of you.
I take my photos in RAW (DNG) then AURORA HDR and some times LUMINAR.

---------- Post added 26-04-21 at 23:02 ----------

There is some confusion here. "Colour profile" is used by different people to mean two very different things: "custom image" (in Pentax language, Picture style in Canon, Picture control in Nikon, Creative style in Sony, etc) or "colour space".

On the K1, "Custom Image" may be chosen from Auto Select, Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Radiant, Muted, Flat, Beach Bypass, Reversal Film, Monochrome and Cross Processing. This comes under "Controlling the Image Finishing Tone" in the manual. These are applied to jpegs (and can't completely be undone), and to the preview jpeg embedded in Raw files (and are therefore just the starting point of your post-process edit). In Raw, you have the full colour data irrespective of choice of custom image. You may set custom image using the 3 o'clock button on the 4-way controller (on the K1). Is this what the OP was referring to?

On the other hand, colour space is either sRGB (mostly used for web applications) or AdobeRGB (a larger colour gamut). These specify which colours are to be stored, and only affect jpeg. They are set in the Camera 2 menu. If you shoot Raw, you get the full colour gamut that the sensor can recognise. This is distinct from the custom image setting, which specifies emphasis or de-emphasis of parts of the available gamut (more vibrant reds for example).

Anyway, in each case, Raw is what the name says, "raw". You get a dump of the lot.
Many thanks.
Your information is as it seemed to me that it worked.
04-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
Maybe your default profile turns on "auto-matched tone curve". Try turning it off and it'll give you a more neutral Raw rendering.
You're right, that might be what's happening
04-27-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot RAW, but I usually have the jpeg color profile set to natural. I just find that gives me a better feel for what I can do with the RAW in post. I particularly do not like Bright.