Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Exposure bracketing through aperture control only

This may sound like an odd question, and maybe there's an obvious answer, but I'd like to set my K-3ii so that it does shoots a series of exposures at a range of apertures, holding ISO constant and adjusting shutter speed as necessary. I've screwed with custom settings so much that I'm not sure any of my program modes currently have anything like their default settings, and most of the time I'm shooting full manual anyway and I'm generally clueless about Sv, Tv and TAv mode FWIW.

05-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

yes! go for it!! seen some folks do it deliberate to stack them and create a dof they want via the variety available
05-02-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimmypage Quote
This may sound like an odd question, and maybe there's an obvious answer, but I'd like to set my K-3ii so that it does shoots a series of exposures at a range of apertures, holding ISO constant and adjusting shutter speed as necessary. I've screwed with custom settings so much that I'm not sure any of my program modes currently have anything like their default settings, and most of the time I'm shooting full manual anyway and I'm generally clueless about Sv, Tv and TAv mode FWIW.
Use fixed ISO (not AUTO ISO)

Use Tv mode and your brackets will be at a range of aperture settings with the same shutter speed.

Conversely use Av mode and your brackets will be at a range of shutter speeds at the same aperture.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 07:23 PM ----------

I'm generally clueless about Sv, Tv and TAv mode FWIW.
The time to learn those modes is now
05-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What they said ^ ^ ^

Steve

05-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Use fixed ISO (not AUTO ISO)

Use Tv mode and your brackets will be at a range of aperture settings with the same shutter speed.

Conversely use Av mode and your brackets will be at a range of shutter speeds at the same aperture.

---------- Post added 05-02-21 at 07:23 PM ----------

Of course this is the answer. I think I overcomplicated things in my head as I sit here testing lenses for CA. What I'm really trying to do should be called "aperture bracketing" and there's no reason a camera should have the ability to do such a thing automatically.

Last edited by jimmypage; 05-02-2021 at 02:03 PM.
05-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What I'm really trying to do should be called "aperture bracketing" and there's no reason a camera should have the ability to do such a thing automatically
I think I may have misread your intention, apologies if I have. What I described in my reply above will give you a bracket of different exposures. This is what is known as exposure-bracketing. I think what you may be trying to get is 3 or 5 shots using a different aperture each time, but with the same exposure each time ?

If that is the case, the simplest way to do that is in Hyper Manual mode. First establish the correct exposure using the meter or the green button. Then press the AE-L button. Now you can take as many pictures as you like, each time changing the aperture as you wish, and the shutter speed will change also to give you say 5 identical exposures but at different apertures and DOF. Alternatively just use AV mode.

I believe the KP has this as a mode, but the above method is the way I have done this for almost 30 years with Pentax cameras.

Last edited by pschlute; 05-02-2021 at 05:39 PM.
05-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What I'm really trying to do should be called "aperture bracketing" and there's no reason a camera should have the ability to do such a thing automatically.
You mean, while keeping EV constant? Once you have tried the suggestion below, perhaps you would like to provide an example of a camera that does so automagically.

I think I know a way to do so semi-automagically. Are you familiar with something called hyper-manual? Here is a short course:
  1. Camera in M-mode
  2. Using your initial aperture for the series use the EV scale to set the corresponding shutter speed for your desired exposure (EV)
  3. Press the AE Lock button. An "*" will display in the viewfinder
  4. Make an exposure
  5. Set aperture to the next value in your series. Note that the shutter speed changes to match.
  6. Repeat the last two steps until you have exposed for all the apertures you are interested in.
  7. Press the AE Lock button again to exit hyper-manual.
Now about that other camera. The gist of your request comes up every once in awhile, but usually in regards to DOF bracketing. The K-3iii supports that Edit: K-3iii and KP support feature, but are the only Pentax camera to do so. Google tells me that they do not have a lot of competition.*

Google Search: Pentax Forums | How to do DOF bracketing

Steve

* Not that the question has not been asked many times on various forums...

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-02-2021 at 03:06 PM.
05-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean, while keeping EV constant? Once you have tried the suggestion below, perhaps you would like to provide an example of a camera that does so automagically.

I think I know a way to do so semi-automagically. Are you familiar with something called hyper-manual? Here is a short course:
  1. Camera in M-mode
  2. Using your initial aperture for the series use the EV scale to set the corresponding shutter speed for your desired exposure (EV)
  3. Press the AE Lock button. An "*" will display in the viewfinder
  4. Make an exposure
  5. Set aperture to the next value in your series. Note that the shutter speed changes to match.
  6. Repeat the last two steps until you have exposed for all the apertures you are interested in.
  7. Press the AE Lock button again to exit hyper-manual.
Now about that other camera. The gist of your request comes up every once in awhile, but usually in regards to DOF bracketing. The K-3iii supports that feature, but is the only Pentax camera to do so. Google tells me that it does not have a lot of competition.*

Steve

* Not that the question has not been asked many times on various forums...
You nailed it exactly. Thank you. DOF bracketing sounds perfect and I'll try to research this a bit more before spamming the forum. I'm relatively new to digital photography and have never used an SLR more advanced than a Minolta X-700 until acquiring a K-50 a few months ago.

05-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You nailed it exactly. Thank you. DOF bracketing sounds perfect and I'll try to research this a bit more before spamming the forum. I'm relatively new to digital photography and have never used an SLR more advanced than a Minolta X-700 until acquiring a K-50 a few months ago.
Do try hyper-manual. It is a cool technique. BTW...the X-700 is a very cool camera.

Steve