Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #1

K-3 date adjustment and lens profile issues

Hi,

Instead of selling my old K-3, I decided to use it for ultra wide angle shots with my Sigma 10-20. I usually shoot with my K1 mkii but miss the really wide angle.

It was sitting in my cabinet for over a year now. I updated the firmware, but every time I turn it on the first thing on the screen is the date adjustment section. No matter what. Any idea on how to get rid of this glitch?

Plus when I edit in PS, it does not read or "remember" the profile of the lens, although in the past it did. Its getting quite annoying now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

05-28-2021, 06:15 AM   #2

Its probably the internal battery depleted, I don't think its user replaceable so prob needs a service / repair
05-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
Its probably the internal battery depleted, I don't think its user replaceable so prob needs a service / repair
Agreed. There is a thread in the Forum on just this topic. Bottom line is to keep a battery in your camera and periodically check the charge. It seems the internal battery has a long shelf-life when not used, but will drain if the camera is left without another power source for a long period.

While it likely won't work with this problem, many camera issues are resolved by inserting a fresh battery and doing a factory reset. What have you got to lose trying that?
05-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wellshot Quote
It was sitting in my cabinet for over a year now. I updated the firmware, but every time I turn it on the first thing on the screen is the date adjustment section. No matter what. Any idea on how to get rid of this glitch?

Plus when I edit in PS, it does not read or "remember" the profile of the lens, although in the past it did. Its getting quite annoying now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: date, Internal battery is depleted. As suggested replacement is a complex diy effort or costly repair.

Re: Photoshop losing lens ID, that’s weird. I can’t think of any way the camera (k3) would impact that assuming it is writing the Exif data. Can you extract the lens ID from Exif on the shots impacted?

05-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tip...

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Agreed. There is a thread in the Forum on just this topic. Bottom line is to keep a battery in your camera and periodically check the charge. It seems the internal battery has a long shelf-life when not used, but will drain if the camera is left without another power source for a long period.

While it likely won't work with this problem, many camera issues are resolved by inserting a fresh battery and doing a factory reset. What have you got to lose trying that?
A RESET of my 'justa' Q which has been sitting battery-less and unused for several years fixed its annoying need to have a fresh date entered every time a recharged battery is inserted.

Works great... M
05-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #6

Doubtful it will help as once these batteries are gone they're gone. From the Seiko spec sheets they have a life of 50 deep discharge/recharge cycles. But it does take time to recharge the battery. I would fully charge the main battery, put it in the camera and let it sit perhaps 24 hour before turning the camera on.
05-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just did a factory reset... nothing seemed to change. I will let the camera sit around for 24 hours with a fully charged battery and try again.

I would be surprised if I went through all these 50 cycles. I wasn't the most avid user back then. Bought it in September 2014 and got my K1 in 2019, so about 5 years of use all in all.

---------- Post added 05-28-21 at 07:55 AM ----------

To be clear I can change the profile manually in PS, actually Camera RAW, but I have to do this every single time.

the lens ID is given when I look at the EXIF info of the DNG file (working on an IMac)--after copying it from the memory card to the HD.

Weird...

05-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Be patient.
I "revived" the battery in an 18 year old *ist DS that had not been used in years by setting the "time to off" to 30 minutes and turning it on 8 times in one day for a total of about 8 hours "on"

It "recharged" the internal battery, at least enough to change batteries without losing the date.
Do leave the batteries in to keep the battery charged and the clock "running".

Maybe the presence of the battery will do the same thing even if off- but may take days!
05-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #9

Depending on the chemistry some rechargeable batteries go bad if left deeply discharged for long periods of time. I think the moral of the story is to keep a charged (partially) main battery in the camera as much as possible.
05-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long term lithium ion battery life is best at 50% charge. Put such a batter in equipment that sits a while. Keeps internal clock batteries happy. Keeps stores battery happy. Check monthly.
05-31-2021, 04:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Be patient.
I "revived" the battery in an 18 year old *ist DS that had not been used in years by setting the "time to off" to 30 minutes and turning it on 8 times in one day for a total of about 8 hours "on"

It "recharged" the internal battery, at least enough to change batteries without losing the date.
Do leave the batteries in to keep the battery charged and the clock "running".

Maybe the presence of the battery will do the same thing even if off- but may take days!
Thanks for this tip. I'm trying this out. Keeping my fingers crossed.