Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #1

Lightning Trigger

Anyone know of a lightning trigger for Pentax K3ll?
Thanks

07-11-2021, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Miops lists compatibility with K3 II
MIOPS Smart+ | World's First Smart Camera Trigger
07-12-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Pluto Trigger, but I have not yet had the right weather conditions to prove it works. The other modes it allows work well, so I am happy with it.
07-12-2021, 04:16 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmjjr Quote
Anyone know of a lightning trigger for Pentax K3ll?
Thanks
G'day,

I don't have a K3 II but have used the same AEO lightning / motion trigger on both my K5 and K-1. It plugs into the remote port which will be the same on the K3 II as the K5 / K-1. There's a few models in their range, this is the trigger I have:AEO Photo | LS 4.0 ProMT

Plenty of newer models around these days, and it's a topic discussed in a few threads if you want some info on other options to consider.

Tas

07-12-2021, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been a topic from time to time, although now I don’t think it has been discussed for a few years. I looked at what was available, and took a different approach, where I modified a remote flash trigger to trip the shutter. You need a little electronics background to do it, because the sensitivity needs to be readjusted.

I have also thought about using an AM radio to trip the shutter on static. The idea being that as a lightning strike is developing, there are discharges that will cause radio interference before the first main strike. This would allow to get closer to the full strike, than tripping the shutter on the first main strike, and hoping to get an image of a restrike.
07-12-2021, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Second MIOPS Smart+ Trigger.
07-12-2021, 06:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies-will investigate

07-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I use the Pluto Trigger, but I have not yet had the right weather conditions to prove it works. The other modes it allows work well, so I am happy with it.
I had a Pluto trigger. Never could get it to work right. Would never fire for lightning. Tried it on both my K-1and K-3ii. Ended up sending it back. Thought of getting a Miops but never bothered.
07-12-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The K-3iii uses the same type of wired remote fitting and protocol (shared with many Canon models) as previous model Pentax dSLRs. As far as the camera is concerned, the signal from the trigger (relayed through a dongle) is the same as a shutter press.

Steve
07-12-2021, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

paref
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-3iii uses the same type of wired remote fitting and protocol (shared with many Canon models) as previous model Pentax dSLRs. As far as the camera is concerned, the signal from the trigger (relayed through a dongle) is the same as a shutter press.

Steve
correct. the only difference is the response time of the trigger, compared to human reaction time. The best approach is to stop down all the way with ISO set as low as possible, and just lock the shutter open. if you are going to get a flash you have just as much chance with this approach.

the other thing to remember when using the trigger is to make sure the trigger goes directly to the shutter release and not the AF contact. or turn AF off so that your preset focus is not lost
07-12-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the other thing to remember when using the trigger is to make sure the trigger goes directly to the shutter release and not the AF contact. or turn AF off so that your preset focus is not lost
Yes, the wired remote fitting supports both full and half-press and one of the first rules of using a remote is to turn off the AF.

Steve
07-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
correct. the only difference is the response time of the trigger, compared to human reaction time.
And even then, you are still about a tenth of a second "behind" - that is the response time of the camera from an electronic (or finger press) "fire" command until something actually happens: Shutter Lag - K-3 and K-1 measurements - PentaxForums.com

I like your ideas about just leaving the shutter open until a flash occurs, as well as the thought that an AM radio static burst might be a slightly earlier precursor.

Not to mention the idea of modifying a remote flash trigger! Genius! I'd love more details on that (send me a PM if you will).
07-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a now-discontinued version of this:
Lightning Activated Shutter Triggers from Ubertronix | B&H Explora