Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2021, 04:41 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New (to me) NOS K3 Silver!

I'm excited by my latest acquisition, a K3 Silver with only 19 shutter actuations! I got it from Japan and it arrived quickly. I've not idea if it was misplaced in a storeroom or was a display model that never got moved.

I've only shot a few test images with it (shutter count is now a whopping 28!) I really was planning on a K1 and when I found this I had some trouble deciding if I should wait to get a K1 or if the K3ii/K3iii were that much better for me and then just decided that $500 for this like new was a deal regardless of the other options!

I am not sure how much better I like it (or not) than my K5, but one of my main interests was the improved AF and higher torque AF motor. I just got a 60EP and it worked w/ the K5, but I definitely think the AF lock is faster w/ the K3.

I've moderately large hands and the K3 is heavier than the K5. I'm actually really glad it came with the battery grip. It didn't feel that secure (or maybe just not as comfortable) without the BG mounted. I've not put batteries in the grip yet, and I know that will add yet more mass! It is definitely a tank and I think every bit as heavy as my Nikon F3HP with MD14 drive!

All in all, so far I really think I'll like it. Now I just have to go play with it and see how we do together.

So far I've shot one or two images with each of the following:
FA 50 1.4
Panagor 90mm macro
Tamron 60EP 300
60EP with Tamron 2x AF converter (exposure fine, autofocus works but focus is off. I need to try on K5 and also try w/ a 360B in all manual)

I need to flash the software, it is running 1.00! Any recommendations or just go to the latest V1.43?

Cheers,
Tom

09-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Cool! I found the K3 to be a nice improvement in AF over the K5 and better in most ways. I still use mine along side my K1.
09-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
If memory serves me correct. When you go to update the firmware it will start with the very first one and continue till the newest one.
09-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Popeye.Tom Quote

I need to flash the software, it is running 1.00! Any recommendations or just go to the latest V1.43?
Tom
IMO, Just go with the latest one.

Things needs to be careful is the shutter speed. I shoot a lot handheld at night and when I move from K5 to K3, I had to use a bit higher shutter speed until I get used to with the camera. Maybe take about a week of everyday usage. Its sensor has a higher pixel density, so it is a lot less forgiven with hand movements.
And with some ultrawide angle lens such as DA15 which you don't have in your lineup, corner performance will be noticeable to worsen because of the field curvature effect. A simple fix is to device space from the center to the left or right edge in to 3 parts and check the focus at around the 1/3 from the edge. It can help average sharpness across the frame.

Enjoy your new camera

-edit-
by the way, if you have flu card, be careful a bit. It seems to cause random mirror lock up when use with highest shutter burst on some battery when it is not full on my K3.
And it suck up battery's juice real fast if you leave it on all the time.

09-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
$500 for a Premium K-3? Great deal!
09-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by basquist02 Quote
If memory serves me correct. When you go to update the firmware it will start with the very first one and continue till the newest one.
You are correct, all the firmware update versions are inclusive of prior updates. The most recent few improve support for specific new lenses and like we have to go back to V1.40 to get one that includes "Improved stability for general performance."

Mostly I think these firmware builds for my K-5 have been pretty robust. In general business application and computer OS patches, not all releases are good and some introduce new bugs or break things.

Since I've not heard of any new versions introducing instabilities, I'm going for V1.43!
09-03-2021, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A few test pics

Thanks for all the replies! Here are a few images, still just testing. T

Few configuration changes from defaults: Aperture ring enabled, shutter "in focus", white balance normal and I'm not using max resolution . Need to learn how to use the U1, U2, U3 saved settings!

Tamron 60EP, off hand standing on back porch. And two with the FA-50/1.4 AF seems to be good with these lenses and the others I've tried.

The one combo that fails is the 60EP when used with the Tamron 2x Pz-AF BBAR MC7 adapter (oooh, 600mm f5.6) I've not tried this on the K-5 or even used the 2x with any other lens. I'll play more and see.

I am in S. Oregon & the saw horse pic has some sun, but two of the madrone tree and dog really had no sun due to the wildfire smoke. All in all, I like the IQ and now I have to go try to find some subjects that have more of "more!" These are all so brown, red and grey with all my drought and fire! I think I need a photo safari to the coast!

Cheers,
Tom

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You got a good camera at a very good price.

In my experience the only area where they K5 will still outshine the K3 is in high ISO situations. The K3 is actually a step backwards in that regard. Heck I think that my K5 was actually as good as if not better than my K1 in that regard.
09-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You got a good camera at a very good price.

In my experience the only area where they K5 will still outshine the K3 is in high ISO situations. The K3 is actually a step backwards in that regard. Heck I think that my K5 was actually as good as if not better than my K1 in that regard.
K5 beats it in dynamic range as well but falls short on the tech. Live view for example is just basically unusable for the k-5 series.

Anyways 500 dollars for a NOS one? Incredible deal if I'd say so myself. Excellent camera.