Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxgroebel Quote
A more probable explanation is that the four-way gets hit when the camera is dangling in the strap, or when I pick it up.
Switch strap style? I am a fan of OP/TECH USA cross-body sling straps. I nice big neoprene pad on my left shoulder. If I clip just the right side of the camera body, the camera is always at my right hand and moves smoothly up to my face. If I want to avoid a swinging camera, I use both clips and give the strap length adjuster a tug.

The other thought about 'dangling in the strap', is do you leave your camera turned on between use? To save battery, I nearly always turn the body on (it is ready by the time the body gets to my face) just before I shoot, and turn it off as I am lowering it to the bottom of the sling. I don't even look performing these actions. If you do this and your settings are still off, friend, it isn't the strap causing the issue.

10-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A more probable explanation is that the four-way gets hit when the camera is dangling in the strap, or when I pick it up.
This is not something I generally do unless shooting an event and in that case, the camera is almost always "in hand".

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The other thought about 'dangling in the strap', is do you leave your camera turned on between use?
As with you, my camera is usually turned off except when actively shooting, meaning camera-in-hand or on-tripod. Battery life is dear enough. If the camera is on-strap, the strap is around my neck.

Steve
10-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Just switch off the camera when not in use.
10-14-2021, 02:10 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all your tips. In particular you, mlag, for your thread on the subject. The DCU trick is actually helpful. And it works, at least to some extent, also with jpeg. If you have mislaid the DCU disk (which) I have, there is a clever work-around. Re: How to install Digital Camera Utility 5 without CD.: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

10-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,
Is it just that I am stupid?
The four-way controlller on the K-3II plays tricks on me all the time. It is sooo easy to touch it inadvertently and to change, in particular, the image finishing tone. This has ruined hundreds of picture for me.
The conventional wisdom is of course that I should always shoot raw or raw+, so that I can correct the finishing tone afterwards. But that is a time-consuming, clumsy and round-about way. Besides it doesn't help against other unintentional changes that can happen, although less frequently; drive mode, flash mode and white balance.
Isn't there a way of securing the tone settings, so that they don't change unless I decide to?
Do I have to glue a lid over the four-way control?
I understand that the K-1 has a similar four-way control, so it wouldn't help to get another camera.
I sometimes feel like going back to my good old K20D.
Max
Do you walk around with it switched on bouncing on your belly? The only time I had unplanned adjustments to settings was when I walked around with it switched on. My normal practice is to turn the camera off when not actually producing pictures. I have never inadvertently touched and activated controls when actually taking pictures.
10-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The only time I had unplanned adjustments to settings was when I walked around with it switched on. My normal practice is to turn the camera off when not actually producing pictures.
I guess this is why I've never had the problem, as most of the time I switch the camera off between shots. On the occasions I don't - for instance, if I'm expecting something to happen imminently and want to be ready to capture it - the camera is in my hand...
10-17-2021, 11:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I guess this is why I've never had the problem, as most of the time I switch the camera off between shots. On the occasions I don't - for instance, if I'm expecting something to happen imminently and want to be ready to capture it - the camera is in my hand...
Agree.

There seem to be others here who advocate keeping it on, partly to save power on the startup process and partly time.

I wonder how many minutes on passive on time is consumed by one turn off turn on cycle.

10-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks again. Of course I normally switch off, and without knowing it. But sometimes I forget.