Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2021, 04:33 AM   #1

K-3II - a real pain in the neck

Hi,
Is it just that I am stupid?
The four-way controlller on the K-3II plays tricks on me all the time. It is sooo easy to touch it inadvertently and to change, in particular, the image finishing tone. This has ruined hundreds of picture for me.
The conventional wisdom is of course that I should always shoot raw or raw+, so that I can correct the finishing tone afterwards. But that is a time-consuming, clumsy and round-about way. Besides it doesn't help against other unintentional changes that can happen, although less frequently; drive mode, flash mode and white balance.
Isn't there a way of securing the tone settings, so that they don't change unless I decide to?
Do I have to glue a lid over the four-way control?
I understand that the K-1 has a similar four-way control, so it wouldn't help to get another camera.
I sometimes feel like going back to my good old K20D.
Max

10-09-2021, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the K-1 and K-3 III you can disable the four way controller.

On the K-3 II my advice would be to save your favorite settings as s user mode so that you easily can revert to those settings by twisting the mode dial back and forth from e.g. U1.

Another option is to set the four way controller to control the AF point by hitting the bottom right button on the back. This trick only works if the camera is set to an AF mode, that allows for moving the focusing point(s).
10-09-2021, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've owned my K-3 since I bought it new in 2014 and I can't remember a time when I've ever in advertently hit the 4 way controller buttons. You must be holding the camera incorrectly or you have super human thumbs. Try changing the way you place your thumb on the camera body, that is supposed to go right below the AF button and just to the left of the raised edge of the right side of the camera which makes up part of the SD card door. Or if you have the previously mentioned super human thumb you're out of luck.
10-09-2021, 06:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've owned my K-3 since I bought it new in 2014 and I can't remember a time when I've ever in advertently hit the 4 way controller buttons.
Same here... I've never inadvertently changed anything with the four-way control buttons.

Question for the OP... Is it your thumb that's pressing the buttons by accident? I wonder if the way you're holding the camera needs to change. It can be tricky if you've been holding it the same way for some time, but it is possible to break old habits and introduce new ones. I've done it myself...

10-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've hit the buttons before on the K-3 II. Not a lot, but it happens.
10-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the early days, I did manage to change capture settings inadvertendly on my K-7 - but mostly through nervous fingers or lack of familiarity with the camera (i.e. user error). On my K-3, that has rarely happened. On neither of those cameras, it has happened just because I was holding or moving about with the camera. It has also happened less since I started keeping the four-way controller mostly in "Change AF Point" mode, which I only leave when I know that I want to change capture settings.

To my mind, the four-way controller is not the worst way to arrange a great number of controls on the back of a digital camera economically. Ricoh even retained it on the K-3 III, although it was cleverly supplemented with that joy stick.
10-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm right-eyed so my face doesn't get near the 4-way controller, but I'm guessing if it's not your thumb accidentally pressing the buttons, you're left-eyed. This might cause more accidental presses.

On the K-1 you can change an option in the menu to make the 4-way controller default to moving the focus points, much like the K10D and K20D operated. That's how my K-1 is set, so getting a newer model would help you prevent this.

10-09-2021, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #8

It could just be a matter of changing your hold and practicing until "muscle memory" kicks in.
10-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-3ii and I am left eyed. I have never inadvertently pressed the four way controller buttons. However my face constantly smears up the lcd viewing screen. If it were a touch screen I would have a mess on my hands if I couldn't disable it.
10-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the tips. I shall think carefully about them.
I register that some of you have had the same experience. So had five guys in an earlier thread.
I am not superhuman, though I am still 200 cm (almost 6 ft 7). But I don't think that has made my thumbs grow. A more probable explanation is that the four-way gets hit when the camera is dangling in the strap, or when I pick it up.
Thanks again
Max
10-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have had the 4-way controller unintentionally shift settings. Not often, but enough to notice, and I've had to occasionally recover an image from incorrect settings, I've not found any pattern to when it happens, and don't believe it's from my "operating" hold of the camera, but rather random touches or bumps when carrying, changing settings/lenses, etc.
10-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my K-1, I've set it to shift the focus point with the 4-way controller, which with center spot focus point enabled, won't do a thing until I change the operation of the 4-way controller to the functions printed on the buttons (or whatever they are set to). Would something like this be a solution for the K-3 II?
10-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I haven't had difficulty with my four way controller on my K-3 II.
10-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've owned my K-3 since I bought it new in 2014 and I can't remember a time when I've ever in advertantly hit the 4 way controller buttons. You must be holding the camera incorrectly or you have super human thumbs.
I too bought my K-3 new in 2014 and accidental 4-way controller changes were not uncommon for a long time, most being accomplished using some part of my super human thumb.* Usually, it was limited to a change in custom image selection and of little consequence since I shoot almost exclusively DNG, though sometimes I would find myself in an unexpected drive mode or WB setting.

I guess that is why I have felt strongly for some time that drive mode setting changes should require a confirmatory "OK". Part of my long-term solution has been to modify the "memory" settings to limit settings that carry over between power cycles such that thumb fumble does not carry over to the next session.

With time, the thumb got trained and accidents are quite rare now.

Steve

* I have a pretty amazing hand size...spidery, not beefy...
10-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
Forum Member

you're not alone

I started recently a similar thread : getting unwanted results from back menu buttons - PentaxForums.com

And : also a K3II, in most occasions after carrying it around a bit between shooting sessions.