Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

missing K3 parts

Just by chance during a recent photo session, I looked down at my K3 and noticed that the mode dial lock mechanism in the center of the dial was gone and the mode dial was hanging loose, ready to fall off. Is this a part that I can ask to purchase from Pentax (or somebody) and replace myself? I don' see any fancy connection points in the open hole. It seems like a serious flaw to have, especially when I have always treated this K3 gently.

11-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #2

Ricoh Imaging US / North America will not sell parts to anyone but their authorized Service Center (Precision Camera in the US). The Centers will not sell you parts either.

You would have to scrounge the parts from a parts body.
11-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Sadly, Not a Number is correct.
12-18-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
repaired mode lock

To fix my problem, I simply cut a small circle of clear flexible plastic and rubber cemented it to the top of the mode post, then rubber cemented the mode dial on top of that. It seems to be holding well and there will be a bit of water proofing with the plastic in there.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by trailer Quote
To fix my problem, I simply cut a small circle of clear flexible plastic and rubber cemented it to the top of the mode post, then rubber cemented the mode dial on top of that. It seems to be holding well and there will be a bit of water proofing with the plastic in there.
Same thing happened to me, my mistake probably as I put the camera in my backpack without any covering (kids were terrible on that trip and it has made me mindless and careless).

@trailer, did your solution worked those two years? Or should I try to find out other solution? Find that part is impossible and local pentax will not even respond to my emails (not that I expected that they will sell a part on discontinued camera..).
Thanks!