Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #1

Considering Upgrade From K-S1

Afternoon everyone!

I have owned a Pentax K-S1 for a few years now. Over the last 3 years I have really started working with it seriously, I'm primarily a film guy. I've upgraded lenses from the ones that came with the kit. I'm shooting sports more, grandkids you know, and I find the K-S1 lacking a bit in that arena. Would the K-3 give me better results? Most of the issues I see are with focus not adapting quickly enough. I'm not willing to put in the $ right now to go to the top of the line bodies.

Thanks,
Doug

01-08-2022, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might look for a used K1 as I've seen a couple come up at very reasonable prices, and if you're coming over from Film its a natural. K3 III is where it's at for sports and fast-moving little people.
01-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had good results shooting my teenagersí soccer games with my KP and the HD DA 55-300 (non-PLM). Before that I used a KS2 with the same lens, so the K70 would work, too IMHO as the 70 and S2 are very similar.
01-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by duglew60 Quote
Would the K-3 give me better results? Most of the issues I see are with focus not adapting quickly enough.
I have the K-S2 which has the same sensor, same processor, same AF system, same frame rate as the K-S1. I also used to have a K-3 and now have a KP.

Compared to the K-S1/K-S2, the K-3 (and K-3 mark ii) has a faster processor, faster frame rate, 27 AF points rather than 11 and a better AF system. AF is faster and more responsive. But I doubt you will see an instant improvement unless you have reached the limits of what you can do with the K-S1. If you are not using the DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM you have not reached those limits, because it is the fastest-focusing telephoto lens in the Pentax system. I would also say that perfecting focusing technique makes a big difference. If you are using one of the AF options that lets the camera choose the AF point, you can expect a lot of mis-focused shots. See how far you can get with single point AF and AF-S first.

If the sport you are shooting is at night or in poor light, you might want a camera that has better high ISO performance. The K-70 or KP are noticeably better than the K-3 in this regard.

If you want the one with the lot, it's the K-3 mark iii. Best AF system, best frame rate, best high ISO.

01-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you for your input Des! I will definitely look into how I have the AF setup currently on the camera.

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
You might look for a used K1 as I've seen a couple come up at very reasonable prices, and if you're coming over from Film its a natural. K3 III is where it's at for sports and fast-moving little people.
Thanks!
01-15-2022, 05:51 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for your input Des! I will definitely look into how I have the AF setup currently on the camera.
It can work adequately. This is with the K-S2 and DA 55-300 PLM, from about 100m.
01-17-2022, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Afternoon everyone!

I have owned a Pentax K-S1 for a few years now. Over the last 3 years I have really started working with it seriously, I'm primarily a film guy. I've upgraded lenses from the ones that came with the kit. I'm shooting sports more, grandkids you know, and I find the K-S1 lacking a bit in that arena. Would the K-3 give me better results? Most of the issues I see are with focus not adapting quickly enough. I'm not willing to put in the $ right now to go to the top of the line bodies.

Thanks,
Doug
If you're hoping for better AF performance, the K-3 will only be a hair better than your K-S1. The K-3II & KP are a hair better than the K-3. The K-3III is the only Pentax body that has usable AF.C performance for tracking moving subjects when using the right lenses. But yeah. It is pricey.

For all other Pentax bodies before the K-3III, AF.C is practically useless & unreliable. Best bet is to put that body into AF.S, set it to back button focus, & tap the crap out of the AF button as you focus on moving subjects while pressing the shutter button to get the photo. You'll get more keepers that way instead of using AF.C.

01-19-2022, 09:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
If you're hoping for better AF performance, the K-3 will only be a hair better than your K-S1. The K-3II & KP are a hair better than the K-3. The K-3III is the only Pentax body that has usable AF.C performance for tracking moving subjects when using the right lenses. But yeah. It is pricey.

For all other Pentax bodies before the K-3III, AF.C is practically useless & unreliable. Best bet is to put that body into AF.S, set it to back button focus, & tap the crap out of the AF button as you focus on moving subjects while pressing the shutter button to get the photo. You'll get more keepers that way instead of using AF.C.
I have to beg to differ here. All shot with my K-3 in AF.C. I do hold the back AF button. These things aren't exactly sitting still. My keeper rate is above 90%.