Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How do you change the number of focus points?

I have a Pentax K-3. A few years ago I managed to change the # of focus points to a single center focus point. With spring coming, I plan to try my hand at photographing birds in flight. I cannot recall, and cannot understand from the manual, how to change focus points.

Can anyone help me?

03-08-2023, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Turn the rear command wheel while pressing the AF Mode button.

See page 44 of the users manual for full instructions.

www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf
03-09-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This always confuses me and each time I rediscover the method I feel stupid for forgetting. In my defense I use multiple cameras with different controls and my KP is my main Pentax - I am used to using a different method (extra control wheel) on that camera.
03-09-2023, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
my KP is my main Pentax - I am used to using a different method (extra control wheel) on that camera.
Ha, ha! Easy to become spoiled by such efficiency and convenience!

03-09-2023, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Turn the rear command wheel while pressing the AF Mode button.

See page 44 of the users manual for full instructions.

www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf
Thank you. Now I am there, but the manual speaks to 27 autofocus points and 9 autofocus points. I seem to recall when the camera was delivered I would see lots of red dots when I focused, and I didn't care for that I wanted a central focus dot. Now, when I turn the command wheel I see the various squares pop up on the back screen, but when I look through the viewfinder I still see the central focus dot.

Am I doing something wrong?
03-10-2023, 05:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Thank you. Now I am there, but the manual speaks to 27 autofocus points and 9 autofocus points. I seem to recall when the camera was delivered I would see lots of red dots when I focused, and I didn't care for that I wanted a central focus dot. Now, when I turn the command wheel I see the various squares pop up on the back screen, but when I look through the viewfinder I still see the central focus dot.

Am I doing something wrong?
Check page 14 of the owners manual. The memo section on the right side of the page talks about turning the viewfinder overlay on or off in the C2 menu. I'm not even working from memory here. I haven't used a K3 for 7 years, so I'm grasping at straws a bit. Hopefully someone with more of a clue than I have will step in.