Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Not me. I'll let you early adopters test it out for me first and the wait for the first FW update.
You are not alone. At this exact time when I'm writing this 50% out 97 responders think the same. However, your hope for brave early adopters makes sense: there are almost 30% of them out there.

10-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I skipped the K-5II/s specifically because of this anticipated new body, so I'll probably be buying early, like I did with the K-5. I was lucky with mine, though - no sensor stains - although my friend and fellow Taswegian David, a PF member, wasn't so lucky.
10-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
IMO it should go K-500 -> K-50 -> K-5 II -> K-3. There's no reason to get rid of the K-5 since it's reasonably-priced yet still powerful. But, following Pentax tradition, I have a hunch that it will be discontinued.
Haha.... Well, i'm looking at the final "tier" grouping.

Basically:

Tier 1: K50/K500 (Entry level with no difference other than WR)
Tier 2: K3 (Mid level)
*Tier 3: 645D (Top level)/ ?FF

So yea... The rest will be laid to rest as they have done their purpose, beta-testing products for Pentax..

*Hmm..... Since this seems to be Pentax tradition, looking ahead, in next year running if they do launch a FF, we can rest assure that the K3 will serve as the minimum specification, perhaps with upsized sensor and a little tweak here and there.. Therefore, it should be good IF it launches..
10-02-2013, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No preorder, but probably I am going to get the K-3 as soon as it becomes available. If there is a FF body coming, will get it as well and enjoy the benefits of both formats.

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
I almost pulled a trigger on K-5IIs. I reconsidered when I learned that it did not match well with my major tool - Sigma 500/4.5.
I havenīt heard of this. Is there a compatibility problem with the Sigma 500/4,5 and the K-5IIs?

10-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

IMO it should go K-500 -> K-50 -> K-5 II -> K-3. There's no reason to get rid of the K-5 since it's reasonably-priced yet still powerful. But, following Pentax tradition, I have a hunch that it will be discontinued.
I doubt the K-5 II and 's' stay for very long. There's just not enough of a difference from the K-50 to justify it when those differences will be in the K-3 anyway (and assuming your knowledge of K-3 pricing is correct). Even Nikon only has three tiers of APS-C cameras if you leave the ancient D90 out of the equation.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 10-02-2013 at 06:49 AM.
10-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If the K-3 has only very little improvements from K-5IIs I might skip or pass. But if it has great improvements (especially its AF system) and new practical techs on it, I will buy one. And, but if the rumors of FF next year will come true, I will pass from K-3 and get that FF. I really need a bigger sensor for my type of work and my type of photography style, and the 645D is not that fitted for my needs.
10-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If it's the same Toshiba sensor that the D7100 uses, then the noise will be slightly lower when scaled down to 16Mp. However, this is already pushing the limits of APS-C...
THERE WE HAVE IT! Confirmation that it's a FF.

10-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am hoping to buy one as soon as Greyser tell us how good the AF..
10-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only thing I will be buying is BB&J... if this shut down crap does not end.
Other than that, the K3 looks sexy and awesome and something that I would not mind having.
10-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Buying YES, but I want to hold i in my hands first. Therefore no preorder.

I'm hoping for tethering and a possibility for an external Monitor.
And I hope, I can use my cable bound remote control.
10-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't be buying any more apsc bodies , my k5 and k5 ii s are both good enough cameras for my purpose. Ill just wait till others buy the k3 and put it through its paces and will read their testimony here.
10-04-2013, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going to WANT DESPERATELY to preorder. And I am going to plan to wait until the price goes down. And then I am going to suffer not-so-quietly for a while, while the price doesn't go down. Then I am going to whine a bit. And then my dear, lovely, sweet, tolerant husband is going to say "Go ON, buy it already!"

That's the plan anyway...
10-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #28
Banned

I don't understand anyone who would say, sight unseen, performance unknown, etc. etc. anyone who would preorder this or anything.

Never early adopt anything. They are the ones that pay for the last phase of testing that overlaps with release in this era of marketing and the selling of goods. They are the ones subsidizing everyone else to get lower prices.
10-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Moved to the K-3 forum Why not also create a poll here?

I bet that most people will say they'll pre-order it, and then not do it but instead wait for prices to go down...but from what I know, the K-3 is fortunately going to be reasonably priced.
I did vote to pre-order and probably will. I enjoy wildlife photography and really look forward to a superior AF system. I would be happy with the K-5 and a robust AF system, the rest is gravy. What I really need is the AF and the 1.4 TC.

If I can go to a brick and mortar place to try it with my lenses I will buy it there - hopefully ACE photo in VA gets one in at announcement so I can go there and buy it. If not available locally to test with my lenses I will probably buy it at Amazon because of the hassle free return policy.
10-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

It has to be a replacement for my k-5s. It has to have equivalent DR, better resolution and faster AF. I am planning to stop into a Brink and Mortar store to test one as soon as they are available, but pre-order? Not unless there are some very positive reviews after it's announced.