Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Now what if Ricoh buys Magic Lantern and come out with a video-inclined prosumer K-02... (without the Marc Newson touch, alright)?
If it has decent flat image profiles, I will lust after it. If it records RAW, I would most likely preorder it.

10-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #137

Does anybody know what the ISO range for video is? I can't seem to find it listed in any of the specs.
10-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #138
Veteran Member

*Movie SR* !?!?

10-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
*Movie SR* !?!?
Is that new? The only difference to my K-5 is that the menu item says "Movie SR" instead of "Shake Reduction".

10-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe what Pentax call "Movie SR" is digital SR, not sensor shift.
10-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Movie SR is software shake reduction in the K-01, Q and K-30/K-50/K-500. No sensor shifting.

The K-7 uses the mechanical sensor-shift shake reduction for movies, as I think the K-5/K-5II does.

If *Movie SR* means software shake reduction for the K-3 then that doesn't seem 'pro video feature' to me.
10-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Movie SR is software shake reduction in the K-01, Q and K-30/K-50/K-500. No sensor shifting.

The K-7 uses the mechanical sensor-shift shake reduction for movies, as I think the K-5/K-5II does.

If *Movie SR* means software shake reduction for the K-3 then that doesn't seem 'pro video feature' to me.
Damnit, are you serious?? Why no sensor shift in video? The Video stabilization in the K-5 is awesome, and the K-01 and K-30 which use the digital SR suck in comparison. I really hope that is not what this means, or that they at least found a way to make it much better. I think the ability to shoot stabilized video without the need to big IS lenses, is one of the best things Pentax has going for it in the video space. I hope they're not throwing that our the window.

10-09-2013, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Now what if Ricoh buys Magic Lantern and come out with a video-inclined prosumer K-02... (without the Marc Newson touch, alright)?
I would buy the crap out of this. It seems like the K-01 didn't make much of an impression on the photo community, but I think it was a lot closer to a winning video camera than many people realize; it was just missing a few key things.

I think they should scrap the idea of the K-0X line as a photo camera, and focus is entirely in to something that slays video, made to compete with the likes of the Black Magic Cinema Camera. Form factor and ergo don't matter if it's going to live in a video cage,. Give it a 2K or 4K sensor optimized for video, rather than trying to downsample a sensor that was made for high MP photography. Clean HDMI out, and the bells and whistles video shooters want. Drop it at a reasonable pricepoint. Now THAT would make a huge splash and turn some heads.
10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
14-bit raw video??
How to process the RAW video data? I don;t do video almost at all, because even simple editing is overwhelming to me, so I don;t know anything about the processing.
Do you guys grab still image from video and appreciate the RAW formate?
10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
How to process the RAW video data? I don;t do video almost at all, because even simple editing is overwhelming to me, so I don;t know anything about the processing.
This is how the Canon guys do it:
How to Edit Your Amazing Magic Lantern 14-Bit RAW Video on the Worst Computer Ever

It's not easy by any means, but DSLR video never has been since it was meant for cinematic video. If you want easy video, get a camcorder and do edits w/ iMovie or Windows Movie Maker...
10-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I would buy the crap out of this. It seems like the K-01 didn't make much of an impression on the photo community, but I think it was a lot closer to a winning video camera than many people realize; it was just missing a few key things.

I think they should scrap the idea of the K-0X line as a photo camera, and focus is entirely in to something that slays video, made to compete with the likes of the Black Magic Cinema Camera. Form factor and ergo don't matter if it's going to live in a video cage,. Give it a 2K or 4K sensor optimized for video, rather than trying to downsample a sensor that was made for high MP photography. Clean HDMI out, and the bells and whistles video shooters want. Drop it at a reasonable pricepoint. Now THAT would make a huge splash and turn some heads.
Now we're talking! Heck, it's got a full-frame mount....just imagine the photon gathering goodness of a 4k full frame sensor.....
10-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Damnit, are you serious?? Why no sensor shift in video? The Video stabilization in the K-5 is awesome, and the K-01 and K-30 which use the digital SR suck in comparison. I really hope that is not what this means, or that they at least found a way to make it much better. I think the ability to shoot stabilized video without the need to big IS lenses, is one of the best things Pentax has going for it in the video space. I hope they're not throwing that our the window.
One very good reason: Power consumption
10-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
One very good reason: Power consumption
Heat too, I'd surmise.
10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Yes heat too. On the Q, you have an option to leave SR ON at all time but they advise you about the shortened battery life...
10-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Heat too, I'd surmise.
And noise I guess.