Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #271
Site Supporter

Well the quote is refers to the K-5 and the K-01. We don't actually know about the K-3 (although I tend to expect this to hold true there as well).

Anyhow, we shouldn't be too surprised if this is the case, since AFAIK, none of the large-sensor DSLRs on the market are sampling the whole sensor (not sure about the Canon 1DC).

10-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #272

As noted in the K3's operating manual: the camera may pick up camera noise while recording video. This must be referring to either Mechanical SR or Autofocus during video?

Interesting.
Attached Images

10-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #273
Veteran Member

Doubt it. It would refer to button presses, focusing etc. The movie menu in the manual only refers to the option of "Movie SR" on or off. I suspect this means we are going to only have software based SR. I will wait for final confirmation once cameras are shipped but am not optimistic based on what we have seen so far. At this stage I will not be buying this camera despite my initial interest.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
As noted in the K3's operating manual: the camera may pick up camera noise while recording video. This must be referring to either Mechanical SR or Autofocus during video?

Interesting.
10-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
I will wait for final confirmation once cameras are shipped but am not optimistic based on what we have seen so far. At this stage I will not be buying this camera despite my initial interest.
So the marketing ad video which was shot entirely with the K-3 looks bad to you or are you just revolted by digital SR?

10-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #275
Veteran Member

How do you know it was shot with a k3?

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
So the marketing ad video which was shot entirely with the K-3 looks bad to you or are you just revolted by digital SR?
10-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #276
Pentaxian

How do you know it was shot with a k3?
Because......►►

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
10-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #277
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because......►►
And....there it goes, no reason for panic! it is going to be good, if not great.
10-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #278
Veteran Member

Cool, the image quality looks nice however this was in a shooting environment with tripods, dollies, rigging etc. which make it easier to get nice footage. They may have had movie SR turned off for the whole shoot. It does not really represent the image quality in a daily environment.

I guess production cameras will appear soon enough so we can see what things are like then. However the evidence at this stage all points to the continued use of dodgy software SR.

Because......►►

10-23-2013, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #279
Pentaxian

Well I think that this is why people use tripods and so, to get better quality. I personally hate it when some one pours bad performance on their own side on equipment. it's called user error, no?
10-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
However the evidence at this stage all points to the continued use of dodgy software SR.
You must be a lot of fun at a party
10-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #281
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It does not really represent the image quality in a daily environment.
Most videos I've seen shot in a daily environment look horrible. It's rather harsh to criticise anyone for editing and shooting their videos to look good, or to display their talent as a videographer.

I've seen some amazing videos (including commercial video clips) shot just with the K-x and very modest setups, so I'm pretty confident the K-3 in the right hands is going to be awesome.
10-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #282
Veteran Member

In all the standard footage available seen online (not from a production setting) there is clear evidence of poor software SR implementation in the k3 which involves sensor cropping and exaggerated image skewing.

Doesn't it irritate you that despite having a good video stabilization system in the k5 series and decent image quality (without sensor cropping), Pentax designers appear to be taking a stupid step backwards (with regards to certain specification) with the newer cameras?

If you are happy to accept anything companies peddle without being critical and demanding at times then you are a gullible customer or a brand evangelist.

You must be a lot of fun at a party
10-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #283
Pentaxian

The evidence so far suggests to me there no cause to be hypercritical but rather to be pleasantly optimistic and still quite excited.
OK my 'party' comment was just a fun dig but don't start slinging full on insults simply because you can't be happy when I can.
Peace
10-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #284
Pentaxian

Oh, BTW...it does AF with video and face detect...so good news on that too. I'm really excited about HRD/timelapse movie mode.
10-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #285
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
so I'm pretty confident the K-3 in the right hands is going to be awesome.
+1
That the SR may not work as good as we want it (or as K5), wouldn't hold me off to buy one...
In the end, how many DSLRs have decent image stabilisation for video and when needed, at least the K3 will have SR.
I think the "musicians" video, that John Flores posted, proves that it can be very useful...