Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Cool, the image quality looks nice however this was in a shooting environment with tripods, dollies, rigging etc. which make it easier to get nice footage. They may have had movie SR turned off for the whole shoot. It does not really represent the image quality in a daily environment.
Incorrect. There is a 12 second clip of Birnbach shooting the moving dancer handheld, then reviewing the clip with her. They would have to have intentionally edited the feeds to misrepresent which camera shot the reviewed clip otherwise.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
10-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Where have you disabled half-press AF?
10-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #303
Veteran Member

You are right, such misrepresentative behavior would never happen as it is completely against the ethics of marketing.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Incorrect. There is a 12 second clip of Birnbach shooting the moving dancer handheld, then reviewing the clip with her. They would have to have intentionally edited the feeds to misrepresent which camera shot the reviewed clip otherwise.
10-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Where have you disabled half-press AF?
I'm not sure who you meant with this, but I did it in Menu on my K-7. And I'm really happy with that. I'll do it with K-3 too when I get it, maybe I'll try that normal AF too, but I like AF only via AF button.

10-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
You must have a different K-01 to mine because you cannot refocus during video recording with a half press.
Unless I have totally missed a setting I didn't know about..
That's correct, but you can set the AF/AE-L button to focus during video.
It's a really bad implementation, but it's there.

AB
10-25-2013, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are right, such misrepresentative behavior would never happen as it is completely against the ethics of marketing.
A little cynical, are we? There are ethical corporations around. And Birnbach wouldn't permit that either. His reputation and client list is too important.

Face it.
10-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, in his First Impressions Post panoguy says the K3 has sensor shift image stabilization in video (not software-based) and the mic is far enough away that the mechancais aren't audible.

10-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #308
Pentaxian

FWIW, in his First Impressions Post panoguy says the K3 has sensor shift image stabilization in video (not software-based) and the mic is far enough away that the mechancais aren't audible.
He actually wrote "...I don't know if I'll hear it in the video since the little built-in mic hole is further forward now..."
10-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #309
Veteran Member

Hope it is true and that the engineers came to their senses. Also hoping there is no horizontal crop of the sensor.

11-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He actually wrote "...I don't know if I'll hear it in the video since the little built-in mic hole is further forward now..."
Hope it is true and that the engineers came to their senses. Also hoping there is no horizontal crop of the sensor.
And later states he doesn't see the effect of the sensor "floating," whatever that means, so I jumped the gun (again).
11-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
And later states he doesn't see the effect of the sensor "floating," whatever that means, so I jumped the gun (again).
Sorry folks, there is no sensor-shift mechanical stabilization in video recording. I jumped the gun by only listening for the SR "hum" (which of course I heard as the mechanics were active - keeping the sensor still!).

I've since turned on Live View with no lens on the body (it asks for focal length input, but I couldn't find "nil/infinite") and during LV I can clearly see the SR moving the sensor as I move the camera. Switch to video mode, start recording with "Movie SR" on, and the sensor never budges. Apparently the K-3 has "digital stabilization" which I don't fully understand (it records more pixels and moves a crop window to compensate?).
11-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sorry folks, there is no sensor-shift mechanical stabilization in video recording.
Thanks a lot for clarifying.

That's sad news, though.

I didn't do much video at all with my K-5 II yet, but what I've seen from the mechanical SR I really liked, whereas the software SR samples indicate the need for a lot more work.
11-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
That's correct, but you can set the AF/AE-L button to focus during video.
It's a really bad implementation, but it's there.

AB
From some other threads, it appears the K-3 has a similar AF control implementation as the K-01 -- i.e., push a button to AF on command only, but continuous AF is not supported.

I'm still hopeful someone will soon comment further on the details of that implementation, such as AF speed, hunting, AF point indication, etc, as well as the quality/responsiveness of the focus peaking.
11-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #314
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that we all got ahead of ourselves and once we saw the headphone jack we started to hope (a bit unrealistically, in retrospect) that Pentax was going to leapfrog all others in one fell swoop and render a K-3 that was a major leap forward. Alas, that doesn't appear to be the case. Pentax has taken some solid steps like the aforementioned headphone jack (something that took Panasonic 4+ years and 3 generations to get into their GH cameras), manual video control, etc, but some of the specs are dubious. I'm going to hold my breath a little bit longer until mine comes and see what we've got. I never expected it to supplant my GH2s, but if it does serviceable candid video then I'll be satisfied. I think...
11-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm hoping the video will be good enough and not a step backwards. I'm hoping the stabilization will be effective. Canikon don't have sensor shift and they have been doing fine. In a few days we should know more about the video. Please keep posting your feedback. It is greatly appreciated by those who don't have one yet and thank you.