Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm beginning to think that for a video DSLR, the best bets are GH3 and Canon...haven't heard much about using Sony DSLRs for video either
pure video iq wise, gh3 will be better, canon a bit better, yes. but in the case of the gh3 , the crop is even more so. so putting mf lenses on it, is totally changing the feel for those lenses. now that is sthing to complain about. canon, to me, their lenses are too expensive and there is no SR whatsoever, unless you pay the price for it in every lens you buy.

the sonys are great. focus peaking (during rec) , real AF if you want, object tracking, great lenses, SR that shines, video IQ is there, tilt screen, viewfinder can be used during rec....
oh, and a small crop

ps: ayohs comment is oversimplifying and cynical. I can easily make any camera look like crap in that way.

11-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #377
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am working in the TV-business here in Norway and the main DSLR used is the Canon 5D - but this is not flawless. The worst thing about this is the codek. As it is good when looking at it it's almost impossible to do any PP because of the heavy compression of the H264. If K3 has some kind of MJPEG it's better either way. Another thing is that none of the professionals use the onboard LCD nor AF. They always uses external LCD with histogram and focus peak and they also disable any OS and uses shoulder rigs and a focus wheel to do it right. The 5D does not have the option to adjust the aperture while recording.

So from what I can read here, the K3 will deliver better video options than the leading camera in the business - apart from the FF. I would love to see this camera in the hands of someone who really know how to use it properly - like the promo from Allen Birnbach. And I would like to hear exactly what codeks you can choose from and how much info you have in PP.
11-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #378

The K-30 and K-3 have H.264 codec too.
K-30: MPEG-4 (Quicktime) AVC(High@L4.0)(CABAC / 2 Ref Frames), 25MBit/s.
The K-3 ..? It will be AVC (High@Level 4.1) to produce Full-HD video with 60/50fps, I'am shure. We will see later ...
11-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #379
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hopsing Quote
The K-30 and K-3 have H.264 codec too.
K-30: MPEG-4 (Quicktime) AVC(High@L4.0)(CABAC / 2 Ref Frames), 25MBit/s.
The K-3 ..? It will be AVC (High@Level 4.1) to produce Full-HD video with 60/50fps, I'am shure. We will see later ...
http://puu.sh/5d3JJ

Here's a 16second clip direct from my K-3... no transcoding or processing... do what you will with it.

Nothing special about the clip though, just panning over the forum post with a DFA 100mm attached The sound you hear at the end is the autofocus.

11-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
http://puu.sh/5d3JJ

Here's a 16second clip direct from my K-3... no transcoding or processing... do what you will with it.

Nothing special about the clip though, just panning over the forum post with a DFA 100mm attached The sound you hear at the end is the autofocus.
Comes back as "cannot be found"
11-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #381
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Comes back as "cannot be found"
I got no explanation for that... I've checked the link by downloading it through a couple different ways... anyone else coming up with problems?

It's a 41mb file btw...
11-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #382
Pentaxian

Downloads fine here...
11-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #383
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got no explanation for that... I've checked the link by downloading it through a couple different ways... anyone else coming up with problems?

It's a 41mb file btw...
Downloaded for me, but I'm not quite sure why you're trying to show.

Bitrate doesn't look promising. Did you have it on three stars?

AB

11-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #384
Pentaxian

Hm I don't know why the link doesn't work for me. But that's ok.
11-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #385
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Bitrate doesn't look promising. Did you have it on three stars?
There's no quality settings on the K-3 for movies... only resolution and frame-rate.

As for what I'm trying to show.. well.. nothing really? People have posted videos from the K-3 onto youtube or other video services, but, I figured someone would appreciate an original file - it just had to be a small and uninteresting video otherwise it'd be huge, heh.
11-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #386

Yes, comes back as "cannot be found"
11-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #387
Site Supporter

There's no quality settings on the K-3 for movies... only resolution and frame-rate.

As for what I'm trying to show.. well.. nothing really? People have posted videos from the K-3 onto youtube or other video services, but, I figured someone would appreciate an original file - it just had to be a small and uninteresting video otherwise it'd be huge, heh.
Thanks anyway. Original file is good thinking.

AB
11-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #388
Veteran Member

I figured someone would appreciate an original file - it just had to be a small and uninteresting video otherwise it'd be huge, heh.
Could you do the same pan outdoors in an area w/ sunlight and shadow? That'll give us an idea of dynamic range as well.
Bummer that there's no quality/bitrate setting...probably means no IBP frames for quality, and it's similar to the 20ish Mbit/sec rate as the K30 and K01...
RAW frame video recording would have been a coupe...too bad Pentax wasn't paying attention to the Magic Lantern folks :-(
11-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #389
Pentaxian

Really? Both the K-7 and the K-01 have star level quality settings in the movie menus. Does the K-5?
Even my Panasonic camcorder does. I thought the K-3 was advertised as having professional movie recording, removing quality choices could be seen as a little amateur...
11-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #390
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Really? Both the K-7 and the K-01 have star level quality settings in the movie menus. Does the K-5?
Even my Panasonic camcorder does. I thought the K-3 was advertised as having professional movie recording, removing quality choices could be seen as a little amateur...
K5's format is movie JPEG so I don't think so since the MJPEG is already amazing quality.