Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #406
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There is in fact autofocus in video. Hit the AF button while shooting and it focuses. A bit unsatisfactory as it is slow and CDAF (hunts), but it is there.
Yes, there is, you are right, what we don't have is continuous focusing. My mistake

11-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #407

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
http://110.232.142.16/~vylencom/other/pentax/IMGP0082.MOV

Just for you... recorded with Sigma 10-20 3.5
These video looks like K-30 video .
11-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hopsing Quote
Is that good or bad?

11-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #409
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There is in fact autofocus in video. Hit the AF button while shooting and it focuses. A bit unsatisfactory as it is slow and CDAF (hunts), but it is there.
I confirm that .

11-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #410

@Vylen,
that's good .. and not enough for professionals . There is nothing changed without some specs (50fps 1080i, Tv-Mode, Audio e.g.).
11-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #411
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
@Vylen,
that's good .. and not enough for professionals . There is nothing changed without some specs (50fps 1080i, Tv-Mode, Audio e.g.).
This question is not intended to be facetious...

Apart for reasons of convenience, why would a professional choose a DSLR for video, over a dedicated video camera?
11-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #412
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote

Apart for reasons of convenience, why would a professional choose a DSLR for video, over a dedicated video camera?
They don't make dedicated video cameras with large sensors for dslr prices. Well, not under $1k.

11-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote

I recently used my K-5 instead of the dedicated video cam I normally use for work and have done that before. My normal video cam is this one:. There was news to be had at a nature reserve and although I went there for a radio item I was asked to shoot some video for a short segment in our newscast. Due to budget cuts there is only one cameraman available. So some of us have had some training to shoot and edit video. I chose my DSLR because its portability and handling; so basically because it was more conveniant. The video cam isn't very heavy but bigger and there are controls everywhere which can be a problem when you try to concentrate on doing two things (radio&video) well. The tripod for the video cam is also significant more heavy than my own Gitzo tripod (without video head). Further more I knew I didn't have to interview anybody and that sound wasn't important in this instance (and if needed I can alway's record some background noise with my small Nagra audiorecorder.) And I knew I could get some good footage with just steady shots without panning or zooming (I've made many fine news video's with my video cam without those are techniques before). I still managed to do some usable hand held shots though.

So in this instance taking my K-5 with me instead of lugging the whole video setup with me hiking in to meadows was the right compromise and the video editor did like the 'feel' of the footage out of the Pentax with it's bigger sensor. If I had known about this assignment beforehand I would have brought my macro lens because the story had to do with very, very rare mushrooms, but for close focussing the DA*16-50 did the job. Professional use of video in the publicly funded regional news industrie over here is more and more about getting acceptable images as cheap and efficient as possible because of those big budget cuts which the national, publicly funded, broadcasting industrie is also dealing with. Gradually I see a bit more colleagues using a DSLR for work or wanting to use one although I don't expect them to become a mainstream newscam for video. If see no reason why a K-3 on a tripod wouldn't be at least as useful as my K-5 on a tripod and with the newly added video functionality's it will probably be better.
11-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #414
Veteran Member

Yes, from original videos I've downloaded, K-3 video bitrate is the same as K-30 (21Mbps). But... does K-30 allow you to autofocus again while shooting? If not, K-3 is an advance (even if it's slow to re-autofocus).
11-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #415
Veteran Member

About bit rate:

21 Mbps you said above, Dave L ... Are you shure about that ?
That is very poor ...

I am weeping again ... because 50 MBit should be minimum nowadays, I think
11-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #416
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
because 50 MBit should be minimum nowadays, I think
i am by far an expert, but i don't think most dslrs hit 50. could be wrong though...
11-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #417
Inactive Account

SO , video quality of K5 (mjpeg with lot of bitrate) is better ok K3 "mov" 21 Mbsec ?!... we must think well before buy a new dlsr and have video more poor of the k5 (that also is not so good)...
11-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #418

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Yes, from original videos I've downloaded, K-3 video bitrate is the same as K-30 (21Mbps). But... does K-30 allow you to autofocus again while shooting? If not, K-3 is an advance (even if it's slow to re-autofocus).
Yes, K-30 allow you to re-autofocus while shooting. But you have to know, it's as slow as K-3 while shooting. K-30 is also good in M-Mode like K-3: with Auto-ISO exposure will be fit self-controled, with fixed ISO exposure will be fixed while shooting :-). You can adjust ISO and shutter speed while shooting. Aperture is fixed during shooting in each mode (P, Av, M).

Listen, K-3 has more capabilities in audio and other adjustments.

Last edited by hopsing; 11-11-2013 at 06:18 AM.
11-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gambadilegno Quote
SO , video quality of K5 (mjpeg with lot of bitrate) is better ok K3 "mov" 21 Mbsec ?!... we must think well before buy a new dlsr and have video more poor of the k5 (that also is not so good)...
I (of course) had the Pana Lumix GH3 in my mind - one year old - that goes up to 72 Mbit
This is very positive because more information prevents compression artefacts ("dirt")
Broadcasters btw. only accept a minimum of 50 Mbit ...

MJPEG may have more of whatever - but it's just a codec with lots of aliasing bad informations.
When I first tried my K-7 I fell of my seat watching the incredible phantasy of green, red, purple
fillings in all contrast-boarders on the sunny buildings and even the landscape, not talking of the
intense coloured noise in most of the darker parts of the picture. This was a complete No-Go-Codec
11-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #420
Inactive Account

so..you can think k3 is better for quality (mov at 21mb/s max) about the k7/5 mjpeg ?
I like change body...but I'm afraid...I must put near many money (for me) and IF the quality of the clips are bad of the k7/5..for the codec and crop what hete talking...is a disaster!!! I need more info about, for be sure...