Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #481
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Anyhow, there just isn't any one solution today that meets all these needs.
seems that way. i was sure technology would have come far enough for that to be reality, but doesn't seem that way... oh well if you need to buy 2 cameras to get good photos and good video, then you need to buy 2 cameras, what can you do.

11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
I always use an external microhpone & external recorder with real time visual audio monitoring, autogain option etc... and sync in post so that's not an issue for me if you don't mind two separate devices, you'll have the headphones on your head anyway no matter where the cord goes and arms allow you to attach your external devices to your rig at a hand's reach but like i said in the other thread i just can't get behind the idea of shooting without a viewfinder... nothing beats the natural feel of the viewfinder against your eye, looking through the lens, with the option of looking at the monitor when you need to should i learn to live without a viewfinder?
Yes separate audio and syncing in post has become much easier with the latest digital tools. I'm often a single person crew though, and seek simplicity where possible.

You're in luck as the GX7 has a built on viewfinder. No IS though, for video at least.
11-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #483
Pentaxian

Yes, one of my friends has a GH3. That produces pretty nice footage.

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I agree with the AF. I don't need it, and I'm not doing professional work. However I have tried focus peaking on the Sony a57, and oh my god does it help. Now if you use an HDMI monitor with focus peaking, good for you. If you don't, Pentax leaves you stranded. I suppose the CPU they used just doesn't have the processing power to do h264 AND focus peaking... if only it did MJPEG, maybe then focus peaking were possible? Then again, the encoder is typically taking a seperate portion of the chip for these embedded processors. Hm.

As for SR... try the K-5 WITH SR on. You don't get jello or any other artefacts, you simply get a super stable video (depending on how stable you hold it of course). The reason is simple: What the sensor sees is not moving. It is as if you are using optical image stabilization, it is that good, it has the same effect (though OIS may give you a greater range of movement). That is why we beg Pentax to give us back non-electronic SR, as the K-7 and K-5 had. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it, when those old cameras could, and the new one can't. Ideally they would give us the option to select what we actually want. No SR, sensor based SR and electronic SR. And maybe some options for the sensor based system, like how fast it is going to move the sensor to the new position, or if it is trying to hold the frame as long as it can.

Btw., my K-5 sensor does overheat, it gets hot pixels after prolonged usage (warm weather of course greatly accelerates the problem).

Time limit can also come from the intention of selling the camera in Europe. Import tarifs are higher when the camera can record video for more than... 30 minutes or so at a time.

The alpha 57 does 50i at 1080 AND 50p at 1080. Though the bitrate at 50p is a bit low (28 Mbps, 50i 24 Mbps, 25p 24 Mbps). Still, from what I gather here still better than the K-3... and that is with Sony's probably superior encoder.

Btw., if the h264 stream is only consisting of i frames... in what sense is it better than MJPEG, apart from maybe a slightly more efficient i frame encoder?

I don't think Pentax needs to have the ability of shooting ProRes, CinemaDNG, 4K etc. in camera, as that could drive up prices. But say, a battery grip? Something making use of that USB 3.0 port, that includes an 2.5" slot for SSDs for example?

I believe some new Olympus have in body SR for video too, perhaps the OM-D ones?
11-13-2013, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #484
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First up, AF and SR are irrelevant to 99% of professional work, and are the second and third items turned off on any camera.
finally! someone with a video background.

Lastly, on the subject of MJPEG. It is not an 'obsolete' CoDec, in fact, everything you watch on TV, shot and broadcast in SD or HD, has been passed through the broadcast system as MJPEG.
MJPEG is the worldwide standard for sending TV signals anywhere and everywhere, and it's not until the signal reaches the transmitter that it becomes the 720x576 (PAL) or 1440x1080 (HD) Mpeg2 or Mpeg4 that you receive and watch at home.
that comment is at least 10 years behind the times.

in the real world, mjpeg is not used for acquisition, editing, or final distribution... whether it may or may not be used in some small portion of a pre-distribution chain is irrelevant to this discussion about acquisition.

I used to edit with the mjpeg codec, back when the holy grail of acquisition was uncompressed data... remember when betacam sp ruled? I still have the tapes to prove it, lol

11-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #485
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yes separate audio and syncing in post has become much easier with the latest digital tools. I'm often a single person crew though, and seek simplicity where possible.

You're in luck as the GX7 has a built on viewfinder. No IS though, for video at least.
Yes it has, at least one area where (even consumer priced) technology has really developed favorably! I was surprised to read about all the new audio gadgets you can get for surprisingly cheap the price is tempting, but it only does 2K... I would like to go 4k if I it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (i was already looking at prices for RED scarlet-x, now I'm looking at other options ) by the way I just found out about the HERO3+, looks like a pretty cool little gadget, you could capture great action shots with it that you couldn't (wouldn't want to) use other cameras for at that price should definitely get one or more I'm still weighing my options. 4k or 2k...sony or canon, dslr or a video camera/camcorder...
11-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #486
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
As for better off with a cheap video camera? Nope. I sometimes have access to a Panasonic video camera, 2012 model.... The image quality just isn't there, and there are plenty of artefacts. And once it gets dark the image just completely falls apart. Or if there is a high dynamic range in the scene, with which the K-5 can still easily deal with. The colors are odd too, and everything is oversharpened.
i'll give you a flip side to that.

those "cheap" Panasonic camcorders use 3 sensors, not one big sensor like all dslrs have... which translates into NO ROLLING SHUTTER.

there is no fix for rolling shutter, it's absolutely one of the worst things that can happen to your footage.

back when camcorderinfo.com used to do a full-on suite of video resolution tests on all of the camcorders that they reviewed... what platform was the winner?

I bet that you'd think dslr, right? nope, it was the cheap canon camcorders, by a large margin over the canon dslr that they tested... the Panasonic camcorders also had better resolution than the expensive canon dslr.

if you don't like low-bitrate h.264, the fix is simple... I assume that the k-3 hdmi out port is real time? and it's the full hd signal? just plug it into one of several hdmi recorders that are on the market... yes, the output probably won't be 4.2.2, because that's pretty much non-existant in the price ranges that we are talking about, it's not even there in many of the prosumer video cameras.
11-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #487
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
i'll give you a flip side to that.

those "cheap" Panasonic camcorders use 3 sensors, not one big sensor like all dslrs have... which translates into NO ROLLING SHUTTER.

there is no fix for rolling shutter, it's absolutely one of the worst things that can happen to your footage.

back when camcorderinfo.com used to do a full-on suite of video resolution tests on all of the camcorders that they reviewed... what platform was the winner?

I bet that you'd think dslr, right? nope, it was the cheap canon camcorders, by a large margin over the canon dslr that they tested... the Panasonic camcorders also had better resolution than the expensive canon dslr.

if you don't like low-bitrate h.264, the fix is simple... I assume that the k-3 hdmi out port is real time? and it's the full hd signal? just plug it into one of several hdmi recorders that are on the market... yes, the output probably won't be 4.2.2, because that's pretty much non-existant in the price ranges that we are talking about, it's not even there in many of the prosumer video cameras.
I've given up on the idea of a dslr for video already, it seems like you can either go video or photo... unless you go RED 100fps and capture the stills from the video! (not a bad option) Is there any 4K option with interchangeable lenses under the price of a scarlet-x? the JVC GY-HMQ10 would have looked like an interesting option if JVC hadn't bailed out on the nikon f mount for interchangeable lenses.
11-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #488
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
HDMI out of K-3 is not clean. I tried turning all screen displays off but a handful are still on screen when recording

11-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #489
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
I've given up on the idea of a dslr for video already, it seems like you can either go video or photo... unless you go RED 100fps and capture the stills from the video! (not a bad option) Is there any 4K option with interchangeable lenses under the price of a scarlet-x? the JVC GY-HMQ10 would have looked like an interesting option if JVC hadn't bailed out on the nikon f mount for interchangeable lenses.
Wait six months and there just might be; the rumor mill says that the Panasonic GH4 may be 4k...
11-13-2013, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #490
Site Supporter

HDMI out of K-3 is not clean. I tried turning all screen displays off but a handful are still on screen when recording

This is only firmware v1.0, folks.

Jack
11-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #491
Inactive Account

Wait six months and there just might be; the rumor mill says that the Panasonic GH4 may be 4k...
that's interesting... i would like the 4k for the more detail though, not as a gimmick... and usually the only way you get good quality for cheap is if you wait long enough (because "good quality" in some ways is relative to the market of the day). although the RED scarlet-x is cheap for what it is, I'm disappointed at RED (among other things) for bailing out on the 3K scarlet after getting people's hopes up I think i'll go with the best 2k I can find for under $5000 and be happy with it til something better comes along 2K resolution is good enough for so many things, including film production (though some 35mm purists and 4k shooters would disagree) and I really don't need 4K right now.

the same issue as with the k-5, wow that's lame...
11-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #492
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Yes, one of my friends has a GH3. That produces pretty nice footage.
Because the GH3 uses all the pixels of the sensor and then downsamples/resizes the resulting image.
Others subsample the sensor...
11-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #493
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Member Vylen has uploaded two vids from the K-3. No PP. Straight off the card .MOV files

http://110.232.142.16/~vylencom/other/pentax/IMGP0082.MOV
so it's 22.235Mbit/s, out of a maximum allowable h.264 spec of 24Mbit/s... I got the same bitrate results using the gspot utility.

it's a funky number, so it could be an average for variable bitrate recording; many h.264 camcorders use vbr.

the K-3 could well be using the full 24Mbit/s bandwidth where needed.

for what little we know, that's good news.
11-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #494
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
This is only firmware v1.0, folks.

Jack
I'm just reporting my findings. You may be wiling to purchase a camera based on what you hope will come via a firmware upgrade. Others may not

FWIW, the Nikon D7100 provides clean HDMI output.
11-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #495

Listen, K-30 provides clean output while recording, but only in a solution of 640x480 pix on USB/AV line out.