Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #526
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
So,... I think we can all agree, the video side needs work.

Does this 'wish-list' of specification changes for the K3 match what everone wants?
Maybe we can do an email writing campaign.

1. Clean Feed 'true HD' HDMI output.
2. Compressed Cinema DNG to ExFat SD/UHS-1 cards ( with options for ProRes and I-frame only h.264@50Mbs )
3. Continuous AF
4. Sensor Shake based SR
We can agree on those points, with 3. and 4. being optional and better left out altogether.

11-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #527
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
We can agree on those points, with 3. and 4. being optional and better left out altogether.
exactly what I was thinking...

the canon eos c100 body sells for $5,400, no sensor sr on the 35mm-sized sensor, and it records the same avchd video that the k-3 does, only at a slightly higher bitrate of 24Mbps.

it doesn't come with continuous autofocus, that option will apparently set you back another $500?
News Shooter | Canon C100 Upgrade: Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus Breaks Into C Series Cameras

and who knows how well it will work... you'll seldom see continuous autofocus in a pro shoot, for example, on the 60 minutes tv show.

it would be nice to get a clean uncompressed hdmi feed out of the k-3, but that won't change the fact that the user should be shooting in film-style mode, which most people don't have a clue about.

the biggest video problem that I see with the k-3 is with the user, not the equipment.
11-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

the biggest video problem that I see with the k-3 is with the user, not the equipment.
Ok, but for now, i am not selling my sony a77 yet...
The files respond much better to grading than my k01, just to say one thing
But i do hope you're right!

Ps. What is film style modus to you?
11-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #529
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
@PiDicus
Because I had a K-x , then K-5 , so I was not interested in another Pentax until K-3 video cheater ( but I forgive Ricoh/Pentax because of excellent photo features from K-3 ) Following your post about K-01 , i did some quick search about it. But I have no idea how K-3 video compare to K-01 video or whether K-3 inherits all video quality or features from K-01 .

@TomGran
Your story about how you were turning around about Pentax and even making money with old K01D is very noticeable !

Hope to hear more voices in here , so Ricoh/Pentax will fulfil our wishes for next firmware .
Whatever you want will be my gains

Could I add the latest wish

5. RAW recording like Black Magic Pocket Camera

11-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #530
Veteran Member

P.S.
@pTom, you meant my K10D of course - because it reads K01D ;-)
Yes, for photos the K10D ist still good enough of course.
No, for videos the K-7 is by far not good enough.

- - -

I have just three wishes for the K-1 (for I doubt any firmware improvement on the K-3)

1. An outside switch for three choices: SR - Movie-SR - Off
2. A bitrate of minimum 50 Mbps
3. Full HD with 50 and 60 fps

X. About continous AF - that is almost unthinkable in a good practical way - but I used it two or three
times with an old semiprofessional DVCam once ... to shoot a fashion runway. Just imagine all the
runway they are coming up to you at the "outpost" then to turn around and dance back to the other far
side of the runway. You get crazy with maual focuspulling then, when you have to shoot with just one camera.
That old plastic Sony shouldermounted 1/3'' camcorder was good enough at that with continous-auto-focussing ;-)

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-18-2013 at 03:13 AM.
11-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #531
Veteran Member

@osv: Sharpness isn't everything. In movies you frequently see them focus wrongly. No one cares. How about things such as dynamic range? Also, many camcorders use CMOS these days.

I think my main problem is that the things I want the K-3 to do... the K-5 had. With inferior hardware. Why can't I have MJPEG when I want it? Sometimes I want h264, sometimes I want MJPEG. MJPEG should be trivial for the CPU. Why can't I have sensor based SR instead of electronic SR? The K-5 and K-7 had it, there is no reason why the K-3 shouldn't. Again, simply give an option. Also if MJPEG is trivial for the CPU, maybe we could get focus peaking when using MJPEG? For h264 + focus peaking the CPU is probably not fast enough...

As for 24p vs 50p... IMHO you can simply get away with more when shooting 24p, and you can move faster. Pan at the same speed at 48/50p, and the footage looks sped up. Both have their place, I suppose.

@kennye: Do you mean lens based IS? The sensor based IS shouldn't work for video, IIRC.

@PiDicus Rex: We have frequently commented in this forum, and I think when their boss made phone calls to users some will have mentioned that we want sensor based SR during video. We have also asked for giving the Fx button the option of starting video recording on the K-5. Did it help? Did they do anything?

@tripodquest: I prefer my K-5 for video over the K-3. IMHO it is the better camera (for video). While there are some welcome improvements on the K-3, they also managed to ruin quite a bit.

@kenyee: I don't have many problems with pans. Haven't looked for any issues, but so far it never disturbed me, if there are indeed problems. And I never shoot video on a tripod. I might also walk while shooting. Scratch that. I often walk while shooting. Works for me (though I'm not shooting videos for professional purposes). What if you slow down from panning gentler? Don't stop abruptly, slow down and come to a stop. Also, if you and tripodquest don't want it... don't use it. Or just shoot any other brand. For me the stabilization in the K-5 is the reason why I bought the camera, and I love the feature every time I shoot video. Otherwise I might be using another brand or the K-30. I have seen enough footage from other DSLRs, and to be honest, I prefer the footage from the K-5.

Video AF I don't need, unless the implementation is really good, as in Sony SLTs or the 70D, but please give me focus peaking. That works great. A CDAF system is pretty much useless to me.
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #532
Veteran Member

Points 3 & 4 were a deliberate inclusion for the non-pro users, the rest of us will use a rig or tripod or steadicam.

pTom: "5" is point 2 - the Pocket uses 'Compressed CinemaDNG'
Mind you, with the sample footage now appearing online from the pocket camera,.. I'm very underwhelmed with it, the Black Spot / White Orb issue completely negates having all that detail in the Raw files if the highlights are going to blow out with big spherical blobs.

OSV: are you sure on that bit-rate for the C100? That's lower then what 5D2 files show up as in Quicktime.
And yep, %100 agree, the user can make a good camera seem bad, or an average camera come up fantastic.

TomGarn: Runway - that focus pull is actually pretty easy on full-broadcast rigs, and nearly impossible on most DSLR glass.

'Film Style',... is the full dynamic range of the sensor in a video file, rather being limited to the Rec709 standards. On the camera it looks 'flat' or low-contrast, but when you do your colour grading in post production, it give you much much more latitude.

On Sony F3's, it's called 'S-Log', Blackmagic call it 'film mode' compared to 'video', the 5D2 'Cinestyle' profile is very similar.

'Film Style' shouldn't be confused with 'Raw', although the two do go hand in hand. Raw is much more fine detail from a much higher data rate and 'lossless' recording format, rather then the massive amounts of compression used in h.264 .

On the K-01 I shoot video 'muted' plus a few steps reduced Contrast, and I'll push the Sharpening and High/Low key levels around to bring out the highlights or dark area as needed for a shot.
I can match the Canon profiles by modifying the Contrast and High / Low key in the Natural profile, for those times like tonight, where two of us were shooting Pentax (The other being a K-30) and two being Canon's, plus a Canon camcorder, for a local live music TV show I'm volunteering my Monday nights to.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 11-18-2013 at 08:22 AM.
11-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #533
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think my main problem is that the things I want the K-3 to do... the K-5 had. With inferior hardware. Why can't I have MJPEG when I want it? Sometimes I want h264, sometimes I want MJPEG. MJPEG should be trivial for the CPU. Why can't I have sensor based SR instead of electronic SR? The K-5 and K-7 had it, there is no reason why the K-3 shouldn't. Again, simply give an option. Also if MJPEG is trivial for the CPU, maybe we could get focus peaking when using MJPEG? For h264 + focus peaking the CPU is probably not fast enough...
Yes, it really should be 'user choice'.
And yes, Mjpeg should be a doddle for the current crop of system-on-a-chip processors, but the data rate required to get equal end-user experience out of Mjpeg and h.264 is considerably different. Compressed CinemaDNG is simply a far better choice, I'd be happy to swap between it and h.264.
11-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #534
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
On the K-01 I shoot video 'muted' plus a few steps reduced Contrast, and I'll push the Sharpening and High/Low key levels around to bring out the highlights or dark area as needed for a shot.
I can match the Canon profiles by modifying the Contrast and High / Low key in the Natural profile, for those times like tonight, where two of us were shooting Pentax (The other being a K-30) and two being Canon's, plus a Canon camcorder, for a local live music TV show I'm volunteering my Monday nights to.
hey, that's pretty nifty, doing it that way I have to admit I haven't tried that with my Pentax, I'll give it a try and see what I can do with it. I had been meaning to play around with the contrast and high/low key adjustments but hadn't yet gotten around to it.

grispie: in case PiDicus Rex's description was unclear, the footage looks about like this:
(the "ungraded" video) the BM isn't the best example but I couldn't find anything else quickly on youtube. Try 14 bit raw ungraded for search words if you want to look for more examples. Here's another one:
The BM cameras use CinemaDNG. As far as I know it can't record uncompressed raw video. I don't know if you can record uncompressed raw externally. The color depth of the cinemaDNG in BM is 12 bits.

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-18-2013 at 08:45 AM.
11-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #535
osv
Veteran Member

engineering an mjpeg encoder into the custom silicon that pentax designed, along with writing it's firmware, would have taken up space, and cost more money... that's why you typically only get one codec with a video camera.

c100($3.4k): 24Mbps MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
c300($14k): 8 Bit MPEG-2 *Long GOP* 50 Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2 422P@HL

mpeg2 is inefficient, it used to be used as a delivery/transmission format only, it's only usable for acquisition when you throw a lot of bitrate at it... neither camera records 60p/50p... for the money spent, both of those cameras should have had better recording formats; at the minimum, higher bitrate and 50p/60p.

film style... think primes only, locked down on a tripod, movement is controlled to something like this standard of frames vs. speed, or in the case of pan/tilting: "the number of frames needed for a 45 degree pan would be about 22 frames for a quick turn or 66 frames for a casual turn":
Traditional Film Camera Techniques Lenses and the Vertigo Effect
11-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #536
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
engineering an mjpeg encoder into the custom silicon that pentax designed, along with writing it's firmware, would have taken up space, and cost more money... that's why you typically only get one codec with a video camera.

c100($3.4k): 24Mbps MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
c300($14k): 8 Bit MPEG-2 *Long GOP* 50 Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2 422P@HL

mpeg2 is inefficient, it used to be used as a delivery/transmission format only, it's only usable for acquisition when you throw a lot of bitrate at it... neither camera records 60p/50p... for the money spent, both of those cameras should have had better recording formats; at the minimum, higher bitrate and 50p/60p.

film style... think primes only, locked down on a tripod, movement is controlled to something like this standard of frames vs. speed, or in the case of pan/tilting: "the number of frames needed for a 45 degree pan would be about 22 frames for a quick turn or 66 frames for a casual turn":
Traditional Film Camera Techniques Lenses and the Vertigo Effect
I never even pan that quickly which is good if you're using CMOS because think of the jello, any dslr has horrible jello if you do pans that quick. 22 frames for a 45' turn? i'd call that a whip pan! i prefer slow pans in the range of 120+ frames / 45 degrees (though you rarely end up using the 45 degrees, except if you pan along with the person as they walk down a long straight, then it can go over 90'), I don't find quick pans cinematic at all, except when used very sparingly in certain situations. I have to admit sometimes fast camera movement is just what you need... but not when using CMOS, unless it's in a RED, then it's controlled (so I heard, I haven't used a RED myself. I'm a bit sceptical but I guess they have the hardware to make it work). Otherwise you're better off shooting on film. In any case it depends on what style you prefer. If you like pans that quick though, look into cameras with CCD if you don't mind working around the issue with bright lights in the dark but from what I've seen there are no modern cameras with CCDs except the BM 4K production camera which has a global shutter
11-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #537
osv
Veteran Member

the other way to use the k-3 is with a cheap hand-held steadicam type of rig, and a wide angle lens.

i used to use the canon l1/l2 like that, it's quite a bit heavier than the k-3... with a bit of practice, the results are stunning.

with steadicam, you basically zoom with your feet :-)

what the steadicam does is keep the horizon level, which you can't do with any kind of in-camera stabilization.

see here for examples, that you can largely re-create with a small investment in a steadicam type of rig:
11-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #538
Inactive Account

osv: you also need a crane for some of those shots and the one in the jungle, i don't know what they used for that,...my imagination almost got the better of me, then I realized they must have used a drone? I forgot how common those are now

edit: i noticed you said "largely", I was mostly thinking out loud

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-18-2013 at 09:49 AM.
11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #539
osv
Veteran Member

ya, you'd have to stand on a crane for some of it! or walk up and down stairs?? guaranteed, tho, i could re-create 98% of those camera moves with a k-3 and a cheap steadicam type of rig.

look at the kill bill sequence, near the beginning of the video... that overhead shot, where the camera tilts down hard, is very difficult to keep steady, because you are fighting the balance weight of the steadicam.

one of my favorite steadicam (and dolly?) shots is at ~1.57 of this chuck berry documentary, it's the credit roll at the end... the mossy dead pool somehow represents aspects of his life/career?:
Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll Full Movie (Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll) - IMDb

the camera begins from a dead stop, with the operator fighting the typical slight roll in the horizon line that happens when you change motion, goes around the pool and pans all at the same time, which is a nightmare shot to attempt at 24fps, then speeds up the dolly motion into the house, where the exposure suddenly changes.

that was shot in '86, in the mid '90's i couldn't recreate that exposure change, because it takes two hands to steadicam, and i couldn't tether the rig with a wire, it was too sensitive to movement.

with the k-3, you could wifi in, and have an assistant control the exposure, without seeing the picture... or even program an app on your phone, that triggered the exposure as a function of time.

the point of all this drivel, lol, is that if you can't get quality video footage out of the k-3, it's probably not going to be the fault of the camera... imho.
11-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
hey, that's pretty nifty, doing it that way I have to admit I haven't tried that with my Pentax, I'll give it a try and see what I can do with it. I had been meaning to play around with the contrast and high/low key adjustments but hadn't yet gotten around to it.

Well, to be honest, i've been shooting that way ever since i started. A friend of mine told me i had to do it.
But i always used the 'bright' profile where i turned down saturation, contrast and sharpness.
Don't know whether it will make a lot of difference if i turn to the 'muted' profile in terms of grading in premiere...
Will give it a shot. It certainly even looks more dull on the lcd😊
Would there be a 'golden setting by the way?

In any case, my sony a77 file feel much easier to grade on than what i get from the pentax.
Sony uses avchd. I read somewhere through this post (which i have a hard time following since i am far from expert on this&#128542 that the k3 would be using some kind of avchd as well. Will that have a favorable impact on iq and grading possibilities?