Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #571
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
congrats, i think that you made a solid choice, i want one!! k-3 looks like an xlnt camera.

throw that puppy on a tripod, let's test it... i bet the jellocam is no worse than those expensive canon cameras.

11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #572
Pentaxian

oh well. in time we will learn to love the jello :-)
should come in in a few days. if no comparison by then, i'll do it.

But to be honest. Blunty was happy, the guy from TCS was happy, john flores seemed happy. i'll be happy too!
11-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #573
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
I know, believe me, when I started shooting video, I didn't want to deal with it either

my point is, if you want quality footage you'll have to somehow brace the camera, regardless of how good the image stabilization is.

that said, those two videos that were posted clearly indicate that the comparison testing needs to be done by someone who knows how to shoot video.
Ok, when I'm back in YouTube-land (i.e. not in China) I'll try to post a video I shot while walking. 100% handheld, only camera + lens.

The Sony a57 has a pretty good electronic IS system... but it is still not as good as the K-5, and it crops. The only thing I prefer on that camera in terms of video is the AF system (phase detect video AF!), focus peaking during video and 50p (bitrates are a bit low for my liking though). But if I had the choice I'd probably still shoot on the K-5 instead, just because of the IS.
11-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that turned me off about the Sony video samples I found on YouTube way back was that the AF seemed a little abrupt. It would be nice if the AF speed were slowed down, a little or were a custom setting, just for when video was actually being recorded.

I was probably unfairly influenced by one A57(?) review, where the lens exhibited severe breathing. It is really annoying to see the image growing and shrinking just due to AF. I know that not all lenses exhibit this property. I can say the FA31 seems pretty rock solid, no breathing action during focus pulls on my K-01.

11-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The Sony a57 has a pretty good electronic IS system... .
I agree. I like the sony's.
for those interested: this is SR on my sony.
it is really not an interesting video, more of a test.

Although, even though the SR is quite good, i lean more & more to a comment that John Flores once made: "use a monopod".
Easy to take with you when travelling & then you can really stabilize.

I find IQ on the sony quite good as well.
I really hope the K3 will have IQ enough so I can sell my Sony.
11-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I really hope the K3 will have IQ enough so I can sell my Sony.
Check this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/243316-video-iq-canon-70d-v-pentax-k-3-a.html
11-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #577
Pentaxian

can only look at it during lunch...
videos are blocked during working hours. I'll have a look at it then.
oh, thats right, I ought to be working now But i've done my best in the past month,this week is relaxed week. see where it got me:
1500euros lighter

very curieus on the vid...
11-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #578
Veteran Member

Nice landscape - good aperture - but to much panning I'd say.
Have more of your nice and calm shots - just with one aestethic view - as you also did here.

Question: Did you cut off immediateley at the end of your panning - because the SR behaved
ugly then - which means it reverses the momentum at the end ? (My K-7 does so)

Point: Usually it's better to show the last picture standing still for some time ... so I guess you
either had a good reason (problematic SR) or you may believe just the moving scene is enough.

SR: If one knows how it looks without that SR - one feels with SR it is much better - because
that micro-jittering has gone now - and you feel you have gained a lot. But for an outsider the
"main shaking" is still there - that of course gets only neutralised with a tripod or at least a very
relaxed body on a very good day.

Even with a shoulder-camera you have this shaking - so this means a good score for the DSLR
here - to say it positive. You will of course follow your true inner feeling anyway ... which is good.

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-22-2013 at 03:24 PM.
11-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #579
osv
Pentaxian

I agree. I like the sony's.
it is really not an interesting video, more of a test.

Although, even though the SR is quite good, i lean more & more to a comment that John Flores once made: "use a monopod".
pretty countryside, liked the way you shot it.

sr did look good, the problem there was with the horizon line not being stable, it wobbles too much when hand-holding.

monopod would help, especially one with those little tripod feet... I used to use a monopod that a video head mounted to it... had the arm and everything on it... then I added a shoulder mount attached to the top of the monopod... finally ended up building a shoulder mount that was attached to a steady stick... a steady stick is basically a short monopod that's attached to a belt around your waist, instead of resting on the ground.

similar to this: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_162403_11.jpg
11-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
monopod would help, especially one with those little tripod feet... I used to use a monopod that a video head mounted to it... had the arm and everything on it... then I added a shoulder mount attached to the top of the monopod... finally ended up building a shoulder mount that was attached to a steady stick... a steady stick is basically a short monopod that's attached to a belt around your waist, instead of resting on the ground.
similar to this: http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_162403_11.jpg
That's interesting how you described yor path to the best fitting grip for you.
I once looked into this too but the budget was to high then (and still is)
Here's a site that gives some examples:
STEADYSTICK - DAS ULTIMATIVE STABILISIERUNGSSYSTEM
11-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
But for an outsider the
"main shaking" is still there
i agree. i think SR may be overrated. there needs to be some kind of physical stabilisation. but to be honest; I hadn't practised much. so someone might have done a much better job at it.
Same goes for panning and the horizon issue. i just didn't focus enough. we were hiking quite fast.

But i would say the sr has done a good job in the train and in the bus sequence at the end (the bus was going all sides...)
With a bit of concentration it would have been better on the stills. for panning, forget it...
11-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #582

Photos: Albums
Well, there's almost no jello effect on the K3 at 60i. At 24, it's ugly.
11-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #583
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
i bet the jellocam is no worse than those expensive canon cameras.
5D2 and earlier are pretty woeful, same/same as any other CMOS camera. 5D3 and BMD-CC (2.5k) are pretty close to the same performance, and quite improved over the earlier Canon's.
I'd put the K-01, and the samples of the K3, somewhere between 5D2 and 5D3, K3 seems a little better IMHO, but still not good enough to use SR for anything you get paid for.
11-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #584
Veteran Member

For me this is all very good to watch and to learn from ...
Thanks for sharing your clip, grispie. I had asked you about the panning
because I had some serious problem with it. (also see those in part 2)

Here's my K-7 footage including SR Test:

1. My second K-7 field-test with displayviewfinder attached to it this time,
. . carrying my completely filled backpack - trying to stand still - freehanded.
2. Bad outtakes - impossible for usage in a real video
3. Btw. Bonus-footage - The song I am reminded at with some of my old photos

Shooting:
Crouching was hard for my knees and very shaky. My Viewfinder was fogging-up
while I was sweating intensely - the sensor was hot after each shot finally, so I broke
off earlier then planned to do pictures of that lonely house in the forest ... and I skipped
a lot of shaky scenes later. I felt a monopod was minimum I needed for a real job of this kind.

Beauty shots just can't be done freehanded - just I believed my SR was so good ! This strange
dillusion I was on now for some months now happened because I was watching so many shaky
web-videos and was thinking many times about some cheep way to prevent most of that without a tripod.

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-27-2013 at 11:45 PM.
11-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #585
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Here's my K-7 footage including SR Test:
1. My second K-7 field-test with displayviewfinder attached to it this time,
. . carrying my completely filled backpack - trying to stand still - freehanded.
2. Bad outtakes - impossible for usage in a real video
3. Btw. Bonus-footage - The song I am reminded at with some of my old photos
that's pretty good for hand held!

on the very first bad outtakes pan, that's classic jellocam at the end of the pan, and it's really bad... can't be fixed, have to move slowly, film-style, which is what you did after that fast pan.

thx for the link to the stabilization monopod.