Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
I had asked you about the panning
yep, i saw what you're referring to. I don't think i experienced that with my sony. I just cut it off because i didn't stop in a nice way.
as osv just mentioned, movements need to be very slow when handheld.

Actually i was looking at some footage yesterday that i have made for a "making off". It is much better than the movie I shared earlier. Probably because I was simply more focused. And to me, that was a situation where SR becomes important. Can't make a "making off dragging around a tripod. You'll always be too late when sthing nice happens...

11-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #587
Pentaxian

ok,
comparing the SR K01 vs K3
very rough videos, just indoors...
Both settings equal, recorded at FullHD 30p / iso1600

the plant shots are made with a m100mm 2.8
the cat with DA70
the living room with m28mm 3.5

the title says which camera and it may be best to download the shots (download arrow on top to the right...). Otherwise it might not be playing fluent...
LATEST - IMAGES

draw your own conclusion
the real test will be outdoors though...
11-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #588
Pentaxian

Can't get them to play for more than a couple seconds from your MAGIX account. Do you have a YouTube account?
11-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #589
Pentaxian

just download them...
Have a vimeo account but don't want to fill up my upload volume.
no youtube account...

11-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
ok,
comparing the SR K01 vs K3
very rough videos, just indoors...
Both settings equal, recorded at FullHD 30p / iso1600

the plant shots are made with a m100mm 2.8
the cat with DA70
the living room with m28mm 3.5

the title says which camera and it may be best to download the shots (download arrow on top to the right...). Otherwise it might not be playing fluent...
LATEST - IMAGES

draw your own conclusion
the real test will be outdoors though...
The SR image quality is a sad joke. Look at the plant video - it is ridiculous. There must be someone quite stupid in the video group at Pentax HQ.
11-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #591
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
There must be someone quite stupid in the video group at Pentax HQ.
This is a shame. Though the image quality is generally lackluster, the SR for video on my K-x is a very nice feature.
11-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #592
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-3 video of the cat was better. Alot better than the K-01. Digital SR worked pretty well in that case.
Both camera's failed regarding the plant.

Thank you for taking the time with those videos.
11-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #593
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
just download them...
ha. Didn't see the download icon

Done, and thanks.

Well, I won't be buying a K-3 for it's video capabilities.

11-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #594
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
The K-3 video of the cat was better. Alot better than the K-01. Digital SR worked pretty well in that case.
Both camera's failed regarding the plant.
I agree. the cat is spectacularly better. just looking at the frames behind the cat. With the K01, it wobbles all over the place.
I took the fist vid out (living room), as i was moving exageratedly, but even there the k3 showed significant less wobble on the edges.

Regarding the plant, yes, they both failed, but the k3 does better again. But for some reason this seemed to be a difficult one...
Maybe because it was the most tele..

And regarding that plant: on 60i, it was nicely stabilised. I don't understand how come?

For me, this is more or less good enough. It's not where i would want it, but I can (carefully) use SR on holiday and daytrips. Otherwise i use a tripod anyhow.
And if i want to be sure it to be without wobbles, i can use 50/60i. Sthing the K01 can't do (i think).
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #595

I was very close to buying a K3 but then read that you aren't able to set the shutter speed when shooting video?! I think I've read all the posts on this thread but may have missed it so apologies if I'm repeating the question - is this correct and if so, why would Pentax exclude it if they're trying to market a DSLR with more 'serious' video features such as manual sound level adjustment and headphone monitoring socket?

Can someone clarify? many thanks!
11-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #596
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snappy76 Quote
I was very close to buying a K3 but then read that you aren't able to set the shutter speed when shooting video?! I think I've read all the posts on this thread but may have missed it so apologies if I'm repeating the question - is this correct and if so, why would Pentax exclude it if they're trying to market a DSLR with more 'serious' video features such as manual sound level adjustment and headphone monitoring socket?

Can someone clarify? many thanks!
You can certainly set the shutter speed. Just activate M or TAv mode from the info screen and you can control everything manually before & during recording.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #597
Veteran Member

This thing about not being able to set aperture and shutter speed seems to be a very common misconception but I can't understand why. The manual seems to be clear enough and yet even an otherwise excellent review stated the same (sorry can;t remember which one it was).

What might possibly be confusing some is the fact that the mode dial is ineffective in video shooting so perhaps what they do is set the mode dial to M for instance and then find that the aperture and shutter speed cannot be changed. They probably do not realise that they need toi go into the video menu to select the exposure mode.

At first it seemed dumb to me that they would do it this way, sort of if there is already a mode dial to set exposure mode why not just use it. However on further reflection I can understand that it is better the way they did it, keeping the video exposure mode independent of the stills exposure mode.
11-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
However on further reflection I can understand that it is better the way they did it, keeping the video exposure mode independent of the stills exposure mode.
One of the things that is really horrible on my sony is that when switching from video to photo mode, it retains the exposure values you've set. and vice versa. Can you imagine?! oh, i want to take a quick photo in between. Forget quick...

pentax ergonomics, just love them
11-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #599

Thanks for the quick responses!

In case you were wondering, I read this review which mentioned the shutter thing: Pentax K-3 Review | PhotographyBLOG - it's about halfway down the page. Anyone knows what he's referring to or do you think he's just copied and pasted from his review of the K5 IIs (Pentax K-5 IIs Review | PhotographyBLOG) and forgot to delete that sentence?!

After a bit of googling, I also came across this, which mentioned lack of manual video control on the K5ii and ways to workaround it: Controlling Video Exposure on the K7/K5 II: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. I then wondered if Pentax kept things the same - I'm very relieved they haven't!!
11-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #600
Pentaxian

He is wrong on that. Everything, shutter, aperture and iso, can be adjusted while recording.