Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Have you had a chance to play with the avchd files in post? I wonder if you consider it to be easier in grading than H264? If any different...
And in comparison to the GH series? (disregarding SR, AF,... just IQ-wise)

I'm asking because I bought an A77 (basically the same as A57 for video) before the K3 came out. Now, with a K3, a k01 and an A77, I feel tempted to sell the A77, now that it still has value..
I think you are in a better position to make a fair comparison between the K-3 and A77. Haven't tried anything in post yet, I must admit that I'm a bit confused by all the software... if only I could use the Lightroom controls for video

Isn't AVCHD basically h264 with certain fixed specifications (like only - for 1080 - allowing 24p, 50i and 60i) and a MPEG2 or so container? It doesn't use the now available higher bit depth h264 settings like Hi10P (which would probably help a lot in grading, IF the camera feeds the encoder 10 bit data).

12-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I think you are in a better position to make a fair comparison between the K-3 and A77
theoretically I am, but the jury is still out there :-). I think the A77 is a good tool for handheld documentary work but it is fairly big & heavy. Especially with the 16-50 f2 lens.

Isn't AVCHD basically h264
I think it is, but unsure...
12-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #648
Pentaxian

theoretically I am, but the jury is still out there :-). I think the A77 is a good tool for handheld documentary work but it is fairly big & heavy. Especially with the 16-50 f2 lens.

I think it is, but unsure...
Hm. The a57 SR system isn't good enough to be actually useful for anything but home videos... if at all. At least that's my impression... I didn't shoot the footage I've watched. If you do handheld stuff, to me there is only one camera. The K-5. I don't see the lack of manual exposure control as such a big issue... the AE-L button works well as a work around, and you can always (when not recording) change the aperture. And there seems to be a workaround that actually does let you set things such as shutter speed... though I haven't tried it. Thanks to the SR it is the IMHO best camera for video when you have to shoot without additional gear (ok, sound is an issue).
12-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #649
Veteran Member

About shutter-speed / ISO pseudo controle on K-7 or 5

I have tried that too - if I got that text right - some weird stuff !
It didn't work at all - for me - and I think it's just pure bullshit ...
Nobody else but the author got it - must be some magic believe only.

I am ready to accept that auto-ISO for some time - but will need ND filters in the summer !
to prevent that shutter automatism to stutter on such extreme speed ... Maybe my polarizing
filter helps too - I guess it takes 2 f-stops away - did not try exactly yet ...
The results of the K-3 IQ just don't make me wanna have it ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 12-27-2013 at 12:40 PM.
12-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #650
Banned

I think you are in a better position to make a fair comparison between the K-3 and A77. Haven't tried anything in post yet, I must admit that I'm a bit confused by all the software... if only I could use the Lightroom controls for video

Isn't AVCHD basically h264 with certain fixed specifications (like only - for 1080 - allowing 24p, 50i and 60i) and a MPEG2 or so container? It doesn't use the now available higher bit depth h264 settings like Hi10P (which would probably help a lot in grading, IF the camera feeds the encoder 10 bit data).
AVCHD 2.0 expands to include 1080 50p and 60p: Digital Photography Review
AVCHD INFORMATION WEB SITE
12-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #651

Does anyone know if the k3 has the feature for us to adjust aperture during video recording?
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #652
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konquerian Quote
Does anyone know if the k3 has the feature for us to adjust aperture during video recording?
yes.

and it is for the first time i noticed a message needs to be 5 characters.. -
12-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #653

yes.

and it is for the first time i noticed a message needs to be 5 characters.. -
Thanks so much grispie! That was definitely fast and painless.

12-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #654
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konquerian Quote
Thanks so much grispie! That was definitely fast and painless.
Plus, you can also adjust shutter speed and iso, dependent on shooting mode.

AB
12-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #655
Veteran Member

If they have that much bandwidth, they really should consider a 1536p mode so you can use Warp Stabilizer in post to do software SR to get back to 1080p...
12-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If they have that much bandwidth, they really should consider a 1536p mode so you can use Warp Stabilizer in post to do software SR to get back to 1080p...
Do they? Sony is doing 25p at 24 Mbps... aaaaand 50p at 28 Mbps. And I thought 25p needed more than 24 Mbps... Increasing the bitrate by 4 Mbps when there are twice as many frames... (I don't think you need to double the frame rate, but still...)

Otherwise I agree, though I'd rsther keep the mechanical SR and use the bandwidth for higher bitrates (especially proper VBR using CRF... Let me chose the CRF, and the camera uses as many bits as it needs, only cutting off when it exceeds memory card speeds (but using the SD cards in RAID 0 (?) mode could give enough speed). I'd also - if the readout speed from the sensor is high enough - want pixel binning. If the full 24 MP is too much, use every second pixel and downsample that. Or every third. Fourth. Anything would be better.

Last edited by kadajawi; 12-28-2013 at 12:52 AM.
12-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #657
Banned

4K 2160p with IS lenses will be the way to go in 2014 IMHO.
12-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #658
Veteran Member

Do they? Sony is doing 25p at 24 Mbps... aaaaand 50p at 28 Mbps.
Makes you wonder what the quality is at 50p, doesn't it?

2K would be too quick for Pentax in 2014, sadly. No consumer level devices yet at the $1300 price point they're happy in that do this (aka, the chips aren't fast enough and cheap enough to do this currently). I'd love to see the internal hardware of a RED...they probably are running a crapload of parts in parallel to get the speeds they need...

Looking forward to seeing the GH5 (they'll skip the gh4 moniker probably) w/ 4K support next year. They can't downsample as much so it should be interesting to see how much worse their DR will be...
12-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #659
Pentaxian

I'd love to see the internal hardware of a RED...they probably are running a crapload of parts in parallel to get the speeds they need...
So would a lot of us,... but from what I understand so far, it's more a matter of choosing a much higher bandwidth recording media, and having a lot more buffer memory.
The Wavelet Compression used in RedCode Raw can be easier on the processor too, as it's compressing a lot less then AVCHD.
12-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #660
Pentaxian

I wonder if we're going to see added CPUs... Canon is just using several DIGIC CPUs depending on how much performance they need. The problem is that Pentax seems to be buying off the shelf parts... and unless their supplier gives them a suitable CPU...

I wonder what BlackMagic is using. Or if BlackMagic and Pentax could join forces. The K-3 Black edition. With the added hardware to make it a serious video camera. And of course sensor based SR.

As for storage speed... The K-3 has USB 3.0. They could just give it NTFS support (or exFAT for example) and write to that. Plug in a SSD and you're good to go. Those who want to shoot 4K RAW will probably be shooting with some rig anyway, which should give enough space for the drive.

I could also, for the next generation imagine a port at the bottom that gives direct access to the sensor. So that they can offer a grip that offers all that is neccessary for video shooting, like storage, CPU, encoder chip, ... . Still shooters wouldn't have to pay for it. Some Canons have a video version... I think the 1Dc...?

Isn't Pentax already doing 2K? Almost at least...

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2012/01/11/reds-35k-epic-x-camera-gets-torn-down-in-incredible-detail/

This link is better:
Http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/5/5/revolutionary-red-epic-camera-taken-apart-by-fcc.aspx

Last edited by kadajawi; 12-29-2013 at 01:36 AM.