Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #661
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,128
Epic Link,....
(see what I did there,...)

"Buying off the shelf parts,." or parts to order?
It's not always right to say 'what the supplier gives them'. When an order is big enough, the supplier makes the parts to the Customers specifications. That's exactly what BMD does.
Right now, I wouldn't want Pentax and BMD paired up, not with the number of issues with the Pocket Cine Cam regarding Black Dots / White Orbs in the vision.

Speaking of, and back to the media bandwidth limitations, the K3 has a UHS1 SD Controller, with matched cards, that should be more then fast enough to record high data rate HD. I have been looking, but I can't find any information of the type of controller that is fitted to the BMD Pocket, but it is capable of recording ProRes and Compressed Cinema DNG to an SD card.
It's my opinion that the hardware inside the K3 should be capable of recording to these same formats, as they are LESS compressed then the AVCHD currently used.
So long as the UHS1 controller can sustain the data throughput, the K3 would be doing less CPU intensive operations by recording to higher bandwidth files.

Both the K3 and the BMD PC are recent cameras. If Magic Lantern can get RAW in Cinema DNG files out of models that were launched 2 and 3 years ago, there's no reason to assume the same isn't possible form a brand new Pentax.

12-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #662
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
As for storage speed... The K-3 has USB 3.0. They could just give it NTFS support (or exFAT for example) and write to that. Plug in a SSD and you're good to go.
Someone tested various speed SD cards and reading the cards via USB 3.0. Turns out it's running at USB 2.0 speeds
12-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #663
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Epic Link,....
(see what I did there,...)

"Buying off the shelf parts,." or parts to order?
It's not always right to say 'what the supplier gives them'. When an order is big enough, the supplier makes the parts to the Customers specifications. That's exactly what BMD does.
Right now, I wouldn't want Pentax and BMD paired up, not with the number of issues with the Pocket Cine Cam regarding Black Dots / White Orbs in the vision.

Speaking of, and back to the media bandwidth limitations, the K3 has a UHS1 SD Controller, with matched cards, that should be more then fast enough to record high data rate HD. I have been looking, but I can't find any information of the type of controller that is fitted to the BMD Pocket, but it is capable of recording ProRes and Compressed Cinema DNG to an SD card.
It's my opinion that the hardware inside the K3 should be capable of recording to these same formats, as they are LESS compressed then the AVCHD currently used.
So long as the UHS1 controller can sustain the data throughput, the K3 would be doing less CPU intensive operations by recording to higher bandwidth files.

Both the K3 and the BMD PC are recent cameras. If Magic Lantern can get RAW in Cinema DNG files out of models that were launched 2 and 3 years ago, there's no reason to assume the same isn't possible form a brand new Pentax.
Hahaha.


I doubt that BMD is selling more cameras than Pentax... if they do that clearly means Pentax didn't take the video market serious enough. I think BMD will be paying more for the chips than Pentax, so that they can get custom hardware. Encoding to ProRes or Cinema DNG is less CPU intensive than h264 perhaps, but I doubt that the h264 is encoded in software on a generic CPU. They will have a dedicated hardware encoder in there, which might also limit their options in bitrates and quality settings. Most ARM CPUs found in modern phones struggle at decoding 1080p h264 video... let alone encode it. They need to have a dedicated hardware decoder. Sadly I can't find a teardown of any BlackMagic camera... that would be quite interesting to see how much power they need, what they have inside the camera. Keep in mind those cameras were made for this sort of stuff, Pentaxes weren't. So even though they may be older designs... If the K-3 would cost more to add the necessary processing power those "oh I only want stills, remove the video functions!" guys here will be whining again.


Canon's have been hacked to record CineDNG, but not at full resolution, despite those cameras packing some serious processing punch. Maybe if the DNG isn't compressed, but then bitrates would be high. A 12 bit DNG file is 3.1 MB (uncompressed?). So at 24p that would already be 74.6 MB/s. Megabyte. Sounds doable. 93.3 MB/s at 30p.


I wonder why the EPIC needs such epic cooling. Certainly not feasible for a small and light DSLR like the K-3. Could the sensor heat up that much because it needs to read out every pixel? Then again, how can Panasonic do it with the GH3 then?


@kenyee: So... they took a USB 2.0 port and painted it blue?!
12-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #664
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Could someone hook up a HDMI monitor while in video record mode, and let us know if you can turn off all the on-screen display items, and if the video image fills the entire HDMI screen ?

Would like to know if v1.01 fixes this, so the camera has Clean Feed Out.

Thanks in advance.
I've just updated K-3 firmware 1.01 and checked with BlackMagic Intensity Pro card , I'm afraid that the K-3 doesn't have Clean Feed Out . BM Media Express monitor shows nothing.


About K-3 USB 3.0 , i may say that it's neither USB 2.0 nor USB 3.0 . It's USB 2.2 I tested with palimpsest in Linux and Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s . The average speed on K-3 is 23.6 , while Lexar CF SD reader shows 44 .


Last edited by pTom; 12-30-2013 at 01:49 AM.
12-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #665
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,128
QuoteQuote:
Someone tested various speed SD cards and reading the cards via USB 3.0. Turns out it's running at USB 2.0 speeds
Well, that was always doomed to fall in to the circular file marked "Fail".

Class 10 SD cards only need to read and write at a sustained 10 Mbytes/sec
USB2 supports a maximum data rate of 480mBits/sec, which is 60 Mbytes/sec
USB3 supports a maximum data rate of 5gBits/sec, which is 625 Mbytes/sec

When the SD cards are running slower then the speed of the USB, you cannot use it to evaluate the USB.
Even a UHS-1 SD card only has to run at 50Mbytes/sec, still slower then USB2.

Unless you can hook up an external SSD or HDD and record directly to it, and are able to run Burst Mode still with no slow down after the usual number of frames, you will have no accurate data as to whether the USB3 port is running at the full USB3 speed.


QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
but I doubt that the h264 is encoded in software on a generic CPU.
As I understand the process (and I'm not 100% on it, only done light reading on it), CPU isn't the right term,.. The firmware is flashed in to a NAND based chip, and builds the processor in the NAND, rather then it being a CPU that is etched in to Silicon wafers on a production line.

So when you upload fresh firmware, you're rearranging the NAND to effectively be a new processor with different wiring.

So the processing of commands in done in a hardware layer, not just by new software.

Now, if it was an Atom or i7 or the like, then there is hardware in the CPU that does the compression work.

Regardless of which type of Chip is used, it should still be fast enough to write out full dynamic range Cinema DNG files.


pTom: what does it show on a HDMI screen?
Given my personal experience with an Intensity Shuttle, I'm not that confident that the Pro PCIe card would work any better.

And was that test done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme, or the UHS1 version?
I've got the class10 sort and the speeds I get from USB2 external card reader, vs the one built in to my laptop, vary by as much as 20Mb/s

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 12-30-2013 at 10:04 AM.
12-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #666
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Class 10 SD cards only need to read and write at a sustained 10 Mbytes/sec
USB2 supports a maximum data rate of 480mBits/sec, which is 60 Mbytes/sec
FWIW, these max data rates don't really seem to ever get hit w/ USB...e.g., I used to run backups via the firewire port on my PC instead because I found that it's speed was nearly 3x as fast as USB 2.0 and that was backing up only to an external hard drive. USB 3.0 is similar speed now.

And I do have a PNY SD card that will write at a sustained 62MB/sec (rated at 60MB write) on my PC's USB 3.0 port, so some cards do really go that fast. The Extreme Pro's go up to 90MB/sec sustained writes. Both will read in the 90MB/sec range...

If you look at the wikipedia page for USB 3.0, there is a mode where you can design it for the connector/signal, but it's really USB 2.0 speeds. I'd guess they're more limited by the hardware feeding it though because it'd be stupid to design a chip for this crippled mode...
12-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #667
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Well, that was always doomed to fall in to the circular file marked "Fail".

Class 10 SD cards only need to read and write at a sustained 10 Mbytes/sec
USB2 supports a maximum data rate of 480mBits/sec, which is 60 Mbytes/sec
USB3 supports a maximum data rate of 5gBits/sec, which is 625 Mbytes/sec

When the SD cards are running slower then the speed of the USB, you cannot use it to evaluate the USB.
Even a UHS-1 SD card only has to run at 50Mbytes/sec, still slower then USB2.

Unless you can hook up an external SSD or HDD and record directly to it, and are able to run Burst Mode still with no slow down after the usual number of frames, you will have no accurate data as to whether the USB3 port is running at the full USB3 speed.




As I understand the process (and I'm not 100% on it, only done light reading on it), CPU isn't the right term,.. The firmware is flashed in to a NAND based chip, and builds the processor in the NAND, rather then it being a CPU that is etched in to Silicon wafers on a production line.

So when you upload fresh firmware, you're rearranging the NAND to effectively be a new processor with different wiring.

So the processing of commands in done in a hardware layer, not just by new software.

Now, if it was an Atom or i7 or the like, then there is hardware in the CPU that does the compression work.

Regardless of which type of Chip is used, it should still be fast enough to write out full dynamic range Cinema DNG files.


pTom: what does it show on a HDMI screen?
Given my personal experience with an Intensity Shuttle, I'm not that confident that the Pro PCIe card would work any better.

And was that test done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme, or the UHS1 version?
I've got the class10 sort and the speeds I get from USB2 external card reader, vs the one built in to my laptop, vary by as much as 20Mb/s
If the speeds coming from the K-3 is lower than that coming from a USB 3.0 card reader that is a bad sign. Either the port is too slow, or the card reader inside the camera is too slow. In the latter case the problem would be with trying to write huge amounts of data very fast onto the card (i.e. Cinema DNG), but at least SSDs would be an option, with serious rewriting of the firmware. Which, knowing Pentax a bit, is not going to happen.


Does the Atom have encoder hardware? The Core i series does have QuickSync, but the output quality seems to be a bit meh.


Regular ARM smartphone chips should have h264 encoding in hardware, otherwise there is no way they could be recording video to h264 in real time, not at 1080p.


Wasn't NAND memory only? Do you mean FPGA? That's probably what RED did with their 1242. However from what I've read once you need more than, I don't know, not that many chips, you'll be cheaper with a proper ASIC chip, and those are faster, more power efficient, smaller, ...


Anyway, the K-3 can shoot somewhere around 8 fps at 24 MP... I wonder if that is the speed it can convert to DNG, and it is just limited by the card speed, or if the processor is slower than that. Doing 25 fps at 2 MP may not be that much of a challenge.


The K-3 should be using this processor, by the way. Milbeaut Seems like it can process 24 MP photos at 12 fps... if that is the processing speed at which it can encode to RAW we shouldn't have any issues with Full HD content.
01-01-2014, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #668
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,247
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Haven't tried anything in post yet, I must admit that I'm a bit confused by all the software... if only I could use the Lightroom controls for video
You can use LR Develop module controls for videos.

You need to extract a still from a video and then use the Develop module controls to process it to your liking. Once you are done, save a preset with the current Develop module settings. You can then apply this preset to a video. The result is a clip that has the processing applied to it from start to finish.

01-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #669
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,295
Just to clarify the above:
Develop module for the still then Library module to apply the saved preset to the video.
Not all DM presets will be applied to the video. Vignette effect for example is ignored.
01-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #670
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You can use LR Develop module controls for videos.

You need to extract a still from a video and then use the Develop module controls to process it to your liking. Once you are done, save a preset with the current Develop module settings. You can then apply this preset to a video. The result is a clip that has the processing applied to it from start to finish.
OMG! Thank you! That sounds good. I might download Resolve Lite and give it a try, but if that doesn't work out... I'm trying the Magic Bullet Looks trial though, and I might even get my head around it. We'll see...
01-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #671
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

pTom: what does it show on a HDMI screen?
Given my personal experience with an Intensity Shuttle, I'm not that confident that the Pro PCIe card would work any better.
It shows what the camera lens "see" and together with some indicators on the top bar and the bottom bar . These indicators depends on the movie settings (P, Av,TAv or M ). I can't get rid of these information by any way.


QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
And was that test done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme, or the UHS1 version?
I've got the class10 sort and the speeds I get from USB2 external card reader, vs the one built in to my laptop, vary by as much as 20Mb/s
My test was done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme . I have no idea why the results were vary too much. Brand manufacturers never lie what they implies in their products .
01-02-2014, 02:35 AM   #672
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Anyway, the K-3 can shoot somewhere around 8 fps at 24 MP...
.
I made a mistake when using it . I had to wait for a very long time to let my K-3 finish flushing memory into the SD card .
And the show had finished before the K-3 was available
01-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #673
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
It shows what the camera lens "see" and together with some indicators on the top bar and the bottom bar . These indicators depends on the movie settings (P, Av,TAv or M ). I can't get rid of these information by any way.



My test was done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme . I have no idea why the results were vary too much. Brand manufacturers never lie what they implies in their products .
Hm. I have had my istDS be fast with one card and slow with another. Though in the card reader both were fast. Could be some compatibility thing?

Can the K-3 write to the cards in parallel? So one photo on one card, the next one on the other, and back to the first? Or on whatever card is ready...

Can't you shoot before it has finished flushing? Only the menu doesn't work until it has finished saving (on my K-5).
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #674
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,128
ClassA / Steve : Thanks for the Lightroom tip!

Kadajawi : Resolve,... tells me I don't have Cuda,.. yet Premiere, Photoshop, and freebie Cuda enabled programs all find my Gigabyte GTX-470OC card and use the GPU.... Go Figure.

Yes, FPGA - from what I was reading, it's based on the same tech as Nand. Regardless, as we've both said, the K3's processor should be more then capable of handling HD at the data rates required for Compressed Cinema DNG.
01-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #675
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm. I have had my istDS be fast with one card and slow with another. Though in the card reader both were fast. Could be some compatibility thing?

Can the K-3 write to the cards in parallel? So one photo on one card, the next one on the other, and back to the first? Or on whatever card is ready...

Can't you shoot before it has finished flushing? Only the menu doesn't work until it has finished saving (on my K-5).
I could shoot some more photos when it was flushing , but I couldn't shoot video until the red light was gone.
I forgot its ability of writing cards in parallel. But I feel that it isn't better with one fast card and one slow card. I will get another Sandisk 45MBs
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, mode, modes, pentax, pentax k-3, switch, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now that official K-3 specs are released, how good for video? jake14mw Video and Pentax HDSLRs 20 10-14-2013 12:56 PM
Pentax Optio WG-3 video download challenge Eric Z. Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 09-06-2013 06:33 PM
With HDMI out & 3.5mm stereo mic in the K-01 is better than the K-30 for video jogiba Pentax K-01 2 05-22-2012 01:52 PM
Spot one! robertstech.com discussion on K-01 hcc Pentax K-01 18 02-08-2012 07:22 AM
Short Movie - Robot Warriors + Discussion on DSLR for Video tiny Video and Pentax HDSLRs 2 06-21-2010 12:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top