Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #676
Forum Member

Kind of embarrassing that the new entry-level Nikon D3300 can shoot 1080/60p and the K3 can't, especially since Nikon haven't exactly been pushing video features on their bodies...I really hope this can be added via K3 firmware.

01-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #677
Veteran Member

I think nobody will ever better the K-3 in this life.
It is not easy to accept Pentax factual low interests,
one feels they did a little mistake they want to correct ?

Pentax got a pool of fans just keen for photography - mostly
maybe for some simple private videos - first try and errors - to learn.

There are a few who want to "rise" from photo to video - in the same family
cause they have invested in glasses and love for this semiprofessional camera
with a strange high potential to be the best of all - one wants to feel and wish that.

In reality Pentax is bound to a problematic marketing - that tries to survive on the
market for years now. They just do to many mistakes and can't fully concentrate on
rising the quality as much as needed, because marketing bosses seem to hold them
down to small and cheep innovations only. It's a question of investing money that isn't there.
01-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #678
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crussellsprout Quote
Kind of embarrassing that the new entry-level Nikon D3300 can shoot 1080/60p and the K3 can't, especially since Nikon haven't exactly been pushing video features on their bodies...I really hope this can be added via K3 firmware.
Pentax is using more or less the same processors as Nikon, though Nikon modifies them a bit. Not sure if Pentax does so too, and to what extend. The lack of 60p is a lack in the Fujitsu processor in the K-3... seems like there is now an updated version, or Nikon has put some serious effort into it. IIRC the processor only does 60i, it could be that the camera deinterlaces that before saving... I have observed something like that (at least it looked that way) in a Panasonic camcorder... One of their higher end ones that is squarely aimed at consumers.

What confuses me is that Fujitsu just in September last year announced their 7th gen Milbeaut CPU, which should be what Nikon is using as Expeed 4 in their latest cameras (D5300 and D3300). http://jp.fujitsu.com/group/fsl/en/release/20130904-1.html But Fujitsu says 60i only... has Nikon modified the processor?

It will be interesting to see what will happen to these processors now that Panasonic has decided to work with Fujitsu on their next processors...

@Tom: I disagree. My idea of the marketing department at Pentax is a guy sitting bound and gagged in the corner. Pentax is building the camera their engineers want to use. Sadly no one of them seems to be interested in video. The K-3 has mechanical SR in LiveView... they bothered to implement that for a STILL photo feature. Couldn't be bothered for the video mode.

Edit: I've looked up what the partnership between Fujitsu and Panasonic is... it seems like they are actually joining forces. Nikon is a client for Fujitsu and can influence the way the processor goes, what has to be implemented etc., can modify the chip. But if I got it right (http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/pr/archives/month/2013/20130207-05.html) Fujitsu and Panasonic are forming a new company that will then supply Pentax, Leica and Nikon with new processors... and probably Panasonic too.

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-07-2014 at 08:58 PM.
01-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The K-3 has mechanical SR in LiveView... they bothered to implement that for a STILL photo feature. Couldn't be bothered for the video mode.
Y'know, I'm wondering about that. I don't know any DSLRs that use sensor-shift technology for video stabilisation.

And the only 'in lens' IS that I'm aware of for video is in the Canon XL series, not sure if Canon's IS for DSLR's in in the L-series glass works the same for video.

The method Pentax use where the image capture area floats on the sensor is the same as all video cameras since the advent of IS on DV, but,.. Up until the change over to the cheaper CMOS Rolling Shutter sensors, that floated IS was perfectly acceptable on CCD's with Global Shutter.

It's the combination of Rolling Shutter and 'float' IS that causes the Jello Wobble, and it's not going away for video until Rolling Shutter is replaced with Global Shutter.

The only artifacts that the Canon XL's used to show was a slight delay or roll back on pans, no jello.

01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #680
Pentaxian

Panasonic has optical IS in their camcorders (and they advertise it as such, for example Amazon.com: Panasonic PV-GS80 MiniDV Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo ). Sony too: Optical SteadyShot | Sony . They say it is superior to digital stabilization. Olympus has in body video stabilization for I believe their latest OM-D. Canon probably also has optical stabilization in their better camcorders.

I believe mostly only cheaper camcorders use digital stabilization, like Pentax.

Electronic IS is inferior to optical/mechanical IS, even if you use CCD, unless you use fast shutter speeds. Then, yes, it's fine. But as soon as the camera moves while the camera is exposing the sensor you will get motion blur. But when you watch the stabilized video you'll notice motion blur when the video isn't moving. And the motion blur comes, and goes, and you can see it in all its glory because the camera doesn't move. Just watch a pan, and press pause. That's how the video will occasionally be. You don't notice the blurriness while it is moving, but once it doesn't...
01-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #681
Veteran Member

Same for Tamron glasses - They call it: VC for Vibration Controle
And it works just phantastic - without any negative fall-out ...

Here the Tamron 17-50 / 2.8 with VC on board (on a Canon 60D)
Just watch that video after 3 seconds ... I shot it ... but I did NOT edit it !!

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-10-2014 at 02:22 AM.
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #682
Forum Member

That video looks fantastic. Shot with the K3 handheld and no Shake reduction?
01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #683
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
That video looks fantastic. Shot with the K3 handheld and no Shake reduction?
I believe his video was shot with some Canon and a Tamron lens that has stabilization built in. And I agree. I really like the stabilization job here, the lens did exactly what was necessary for the job. I doubt it could do what I like to do with my K-5, but when you don't move with your feet this works great. Then again the K-5 might smooth out too much in this sample.

If you use a stabilized lens on the K-3 the results should be similar, but good luck finding one. Otherwise you'll probably be able to get these sort of results with the built in movie SR deactivated and some sort of support rig, like a shoulder mount.

01-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #684
Pentaxian

Are Panasonic and Sony still releasing camera's with that In Lens system?
Downside looks like they had it on older cameras, all with fixed lenses.

I'll have to look up what the GH series uses.

The bluring mentioned above, I've not noticed it when I was shooting on my XL-1, though admittedly, I did end up leaving the x20 AF lens in the case once I got the x14 full manual lens.

And yes, IS off, camera on a rig, is always the best choice.
01-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #685
Pentaxian

The X900 from Panasonic http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HC-X900K which is from 2012 has it. I've used it before, and the IS is ridiculous. Filters out anything, even a Parkinson patient would be able to take smooth videos It is a bit strong though, looks a bit artificial cause of the way it transitions from stationary to movement.

If the XL1 has optical IS there is no blurrying. I have uploaded a sample video from the K-3 which shows all the problems of electronic SR, but I'm not at home right now. But if you find one of my videos I've posted here you should be able to find it on my account (kadajawi on YouTube).

Depends on the rig. Some will still let some bumps through that you might want to have filtered out. Say you have rollers and push the camera over the road. There may be some vibration etc., and mechanical/optical SR would filter it out.

Oh and yes, those were camcorders for consumers, so they only had fixed lenses.

The latest Panasonic GX7 I believe has a sensor based SR, but not during video it seems. At the moment only Olympus seems to be doing it. But they have a 5 axis systems which is superior to what Pentax has.

Btw., the iPhone 4s can record at 48 Mbps... It also seems to support a vast variety of frame rates...

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-09-2014 at 12:33 AM.
01-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #686
Pentaxian

X900,... nearly bought one of those, and the predecessor, for the screw on 3D attachment.

Yes, iPhone,.... but we're here because we like Pentax, rather then following the herd
01-09-2014, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #687
Pentaxian

'than'
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
X900,... nearly bought one of those, and the predecessor, for the screw on 3D attachment.

Yes, iPhone,.... but we're here because we like Pentax, rather then following the herd
Be glad you didn't, cause at 1080/50p there are some ugly artifacts IIRC. Maybe I can find and upload the sample some day.

And using the iPhone to do serious video stuff isn't that common. Watched a Film Riot episode where they did their short of the week with an iPhone to show how it is done, and it looked good. They used a ton of light. Anyway, my point was, Pentax gives us 24 Mbps, the iPhone 48?
01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #689
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-x uses mechanical shake reduction during video recording. It works very nicely.

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people want higher framerates than 24fps? Is it for slow motion, or for faster shutter angle? Personally, I find 24fps to be much more appealing than 60fps (except when I would like to use slow motion).
01-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The K-x uses mechanical shake reduction during video recording. It works very nicely.

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people want higher framerates than 24fps? Is it for slow motion, or for faster shutter angle? Personally, I find 24fps to be much more appealing than 60fps (except when I would like to use slow motion).
Well, while I also find 24 fps more appealing, some prefer the realism and sharpness of smoother motion. If you were used to movies, you are used to 24 fps. But if you prefered to play computer games, you prefer higher frame rates. Low frame rates look like you are playing on a slow computer.

You also have to be a bit careful to make it not look too stuttery...

Having the option to go for whatever framerate you want is nice in any case though. You don't have to use it, but it's nice it is there.