10-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Video mode

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
"Movie: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264(MOV) - JPEG(AVI) for internal movie record"

so h.264 and motion jpeg to choose from

from the marketing wrap:
I am going to make an assumption here but I think the AVI will likely be for the interval movies only

10-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Can you all tell with some certainty that based on these specs it will definitely be a great videographer tool?
Unfortunately, no. Specs never tell the whole story. Maybe the dynamic range will be terrible. The proof, of course, will be in the pudding. If they can do better than my Canon 60D + Cinestyle + Magic Lantern, I'll be impressed. They should have a huge advantage in the resolution department, with the lack of AA filter.
10-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Unfortunately, no. Specs never tell the whole story. Maybe the dynamic range will be terrible. The proof, of course, will be in the pudding. If they can do better than my Canon 60D + Cinestyle + Magic Lantern, I'll be impressed. They should have a huge advantage in the resolution department, with the lack of AA filter.

yes but you cannot compare canon 6d with those firmware hacked...i mean the problem is that few use pentax so few develop program like that...we must compare spec of camera produced not hacked.
i hpe penax can find somebody who develop all the potential of video pentax k3 has inside...the important is the hardware is good...then is just software.
10-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
yes but you cannot compare canon 6d with those firmware hacked...i mean the problem is that few use pentax so few develop program like that...we must compare spec of camera produced not hacked. i hpe penax can find somebody who develop all the potential of video pentax k3 has inside...the important is the hardware is good...then is just software.
Technicolor Cinestyle is not a hack, it was a software collaboration. I do think it is fair to compare a camera's capabilities as released with a hacked camera, though. After all, if amateur hackers can achieve such capabilities, the product's creators should also be able to do so. Unless, of course, Pentax employs software engineers who are not as talented on a full-time, professional basis as random programmers are in their spare time.

In my opinion, the lack of video features thus far has been a choice, not a necessity.

10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
yes but you cannot compare canon 6d with those firmware hacked...i mean the problem is that few use pentax so few develop program like that...we must compare spec of camera produced not hacked.
i hpe penax can find somebody who develop all the potential of video pentax k3 has inside...the important is the hardware is good...then is just software.
Vitaliy Kiselev done the Panasonic GH hacks and is into Pentax from way back and keeps track of Pentax Forum.

Pentax K-3 Official topic, first camera with USB 3.0 - Personal View Talks

GH1 firmware research volunteers required
10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

@jogiba, thanks for providing link to P-V.

Thing is someone got it wrong from the spec list. Quality settings mentioned are for still images, not video. Video will be H.264. But double SD slots leave some potential.

USB 3.0 is big. I just do not understand the point for it on K-3 right now. As from the specs it is hi-speed, this means that it is just USB 3.0 connector with USB 2.0 speed.

Sincerely yours. Vitaliy Kiselev
10-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #52
ibk
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
As from the specs it is hi-speed, this means that it is just USB 3.0 connector with USB 2.0 speed.
Compatible with USB 3.0 for faster image transfer.

*On the standard, 10.7 times faster than USB 2.0.

10-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Compatible with USB 3.0 for faster image transfer.
This slightly contradicts with "hi-speed" in specifications. And it is most important point. If it is, indeed, super speed USB 3.0 and processor is up to the task, K-3 in future could record raw in video, may be :-)
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Latest tool decrypts firmware for all cameras, as I am aware - pentax-tool [Personal View FAQs Wiki]

As far as for working firmware, it needs people, skills and time :-)
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #55
ibk
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
This slightly contradicts with "hi-speed" in specifications.
There is no place in specs or press-release that says "hi-speed".
10-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I mean this post - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238970-so-anyone-posted-yet.html

Ports: USB 3.0 hi-speed, AV out, HDMI out, DC in, cable switch, 3.5mm stereo microphone, X-sync socket
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Nope - not mentioned in the specs; and, would only make sense if you could get past the 25 minute recording limit.
AFAIK, most DSLRs limit recording to 25 minutes max, either due to sensor overheating or to avoid being classified as a video camera which would then require the manufacturers to pay a different tariff.

Panasonic is one of the few exceptions. The GH series (1, 2, and 3) can record for extended periods without overheating; my GH2 has recorded for over 2 hours onto a single card without any overheating issues, with the recording automatically bridged to multiple files once it exceeded the 4Gb limit of the SD card's file structure.

If the K-3 is to make an impact in the burgeoning video space, it's going to have to go up against the GH3, 5Diii, and Blackmagic cameras, et. al.
10-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
ibk
Forum Member

Well, I presume it's just a typo or to indicate that the speed is fast. ... or maybe in Europe they will introduce a model with USB3.
10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
There's one more interesting video feature that hasn't leaked yet.
Digital zoom without quality loss?
10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #60
Veteran Member

May be. We will see. If it is really fast, as I said, it can be significant. But again, it is best for them to understand it themselves. Like making support for fast external storage and enabling raw and lossless video.