Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #76
Banned

Best Pentax HDSLR yet.

Last edited by jogiba; 10-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
10-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #77
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Moving the mic off-camera kind of runs counter to the built in headphone jack for monitoring. And for the video I shoot, AF and MF have their own places. With the GH2 for interviews, face detect AF is very useful.
i believe it is! i don't do this for a living (yet) so I don't always think from that perspective... ^^ i think more artistic... but there is less room for artistic thought in an interview...
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
LOL. You are lucky then, that you came into "Pentax" recently.
You have not had to have your stomach churn with each "Color Engineered" item that Ricoh has been putting out. Or "Toy" aimed at some market segment.

The K5 was/is a brilliant camera, that started with the K7.
The K3 is finally what folks like me have been asking for.

The wonderful Pentax engineers in Japan have survived into the Ricoh era, and THAT is cause for celebration.

Now, my Pentax purchases will continue...K3, DA560 and whatever comes down the pike. As a *serious* Pentaxian, Ricoh was so very close to losing me.
yes i think i'm lucky too... i feel i have an advantage! like people who start with tablets and smart phones... compared to the people who started with the early computers... the people who start early... know more than the people who start late... but the people who start late... everything is easier for them your posts made it seem like you have had many disappointments... i am so sorry... Pentax finally made a camera that is not a disappointment for you, i'm happy for you! let us all celebrate for the arrival of k-3! happy occasion!
10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #78

My 1st post at the Pentax Forums! Do you all know if the K-3 will have aperture controls in video mode?

Cheers,

Nicolas
10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #79
Forum Member

Pentax Q has a feature "Interval Movie" which automatically compiles the interval shots into an AVI. I suspect that the K-3 Interval Movie mode builds off the Q. It's a nice feature and workflow timesaver but not a killer app. Prior to that, you could shoot an interval sequence and create a movie with an editor like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.
oh this is a great feature! thank you pentax! it saves time to have the camera make the avi before you even upload it... i am thankful! ^^ the process is automated anyway. there is not much space for manual control. if there is a picture that has something extra in it... it is just as easy to remove a frame from a video than a still before compiling video... i think it's great! ^^

10-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrcultureshock Quote
My 1st post at the Pentax Forums! Do you all know if the K-3 will have aperture controls in video mode?

Cheers,

Nicolas
"full manual control" in video mode... full manual includes aperture control... ^^
10-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
"full manual control" in video mode... full manual includes aperture control... ^^
That's awesome! If the photo/video qualities are excellent, the K-3 will go on the top of my future DSLR buy list.
10-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #82
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrcultureshock Quote
That's awesome! If the photo/video qualities are excellent, the K-3 will go on the top of my future DSLR buy list.
it is already on my "let me buy it NOW, here is money!" list

10-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing. More that I read, more I like this camera. With one exception. Interval video - this means automatic timelapse on 4K?. I can raise money for this K-3 in 2 month, but not for a 4K TV set. (Where are those emoticons when you need them?)
10-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Panasonic is one of the few exceptions. The GH series (1, 2, and 3) can record for extended periods without overheating; my GH2 has recorded for over 2 hours onto a single card without any overheating issues, with the recording automatically bridged to multiple files once it exceeded the 4Gb limit of the SD card's file structure.
I think the overheating thing only happens to DSLRs - which is why the K-01 can also record for long periods continuously. Perhaps something to do with the mirror mechanism.

As for the switch lever... and using the mode dial to toggle video controls.. yes, I believe that's awesome too (and the red button is a dedicated "REC" button, right?)
10-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Regarding focus peaking and AF during video ...
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
I have huge doubts that they work well. You can check D7100 to get ideas about AF performance.

AF in latest Canon work well, but it is due to their unique sensor.
... I concur with your doubts regarding AF capabilities, but if the K-3 it has really good focus peaking, that would be sufficient for me..

I'm pretty sure neither the 70D nor the D7100 have any focus peaking at all, so this should make for a much better video enthusiast's DSLR -- without having to run Magic Lantern on the older Canon 60D/T3i!
10-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I can't fathom how excited I am if this is true.
14bit uncompressed output from the HDMI.

Pinch me, I might be dreaming.
This would be so seriously amazing. The only thing that would make me happier would be if it had true 1080p/60. Interlaced footage is sort of useless.

The photographer is me was already very happy with the K-5, but it seems like Pentax has finally started to play ball in the video space, and has made the the filmmaker in me very happy with the K-3.
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I concur with your doubts regarding AF capabilities, but if the K-3 it has
really good focus peaking, that would be sufficient for
me..
Today any good video monitor has peaking and many other stuff. And you need one most of the time anyway.

QuoteQuote:
This would be so seriously amazing. The only thing that would make me happier
would be if it had true 1080p/60. Interlaced footage is sort of useless.
No one will be outputting any raw via HDMI, it was just someone fantasy.
And it seems like sensor is just unable to output more than 1080p30 (or i60).
10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Ooh, I don't like that little bit mentioned about how it will automatically shut itself off if the sensor gets too hot. That it definitely not ok for pro work. The last thing you need is to be filming something important that only happens once, and have your camera decide to shut itself off. I hope there's a way to override that. Obviously you on't want to wreck your sensor. But if you find yourself in a situation where the one-time only goods are unfolding in front of your camera on an important job, pretty sure most pros would rather get the shot and risk messing up their camera than have to tell the client you missed it because your camera shut itself off.
10-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Ooh, I don't like that little bit mentioned about how it will automatically shut itself off if the sensor gets too hot. That it definitely not ok for pro work.
This is the crippling thing about HDSLRs, which is not present in mirrorless cameras (e.g. K-01). I do think there could be an extension to this time limit in the K-3, given the more durable shutter mechanism (which may be a hint of an upgraded mirror mechanism too). I'm not a video expert, but if the K-01 can do it without the sensor overheating, then it's not really the sensor itself that overheats... but something else.
10-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #90
rlatjsrud

Well I never edit the video file which is RAW rather than RAW pic files...

What is good things about RAW video?