Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
And you need one most of the time anyway
"Need" is a pretty strong word. Many of the low-budget professional projects I work do not use a monitor. Especially if shooting on a DSLR.

10-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
This would be so seriously amazing. The only thing that would make me happier would be if it had true 1080p/60. Interlaced footage is sort of useless.

The photographer is me was already very happy with the K-5, but it seems like Pentax has finally started to play ball in the video space, and has made the the filmmaker in me very happy with the K-3.
I'm not even a filmmaker/videographer, but I wouldn't brag about my K-3 doing 1080i when my Canon T3i does 1080p at 60fps. I guess it's a step forward for Pentax, but falls short from my expectations.

Same with photos.. yes, it's a great 24MP sensor, and if it's better than the K-5 then low-light capabilities will be even more astonishing. But again 14bits? Why add bells and whistles [selective White Balance, WiFi thingy..] when what really matters, although fantastic, could have been even better?

But that's my negativity and it's done. I want a K-3 as soon as I can raise the money ^___^
10-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
when my Canon T3i does 1080p at 60fps.
No it doesn't. The only Canon 'DSLR' to offer 1080/60p is the 1D-C. not even the 1D-X does 1080/60p.
10-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
No it doesn't. The only Canon 'DSLR' to offer 1080/60p is the 1D-C. not even the 1D-X does 1080/60p.
Yup. 1080p60 is not common. Panasonic GH3 is one of the few affordable ones to offer it. Most others do as the K-3 and have 720p60.

10-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RAW video looking less likely

These are the Movie specs from the Japanese site. No mention of RAW video. Australian site is similar. Seems like we saw a ghost.
Attached Images

10-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yup. 1080p60 is not common. Panasonic GH3 is one of the few affordable ones to offer it. Most others do as the K-3 and have 720p60.
True, although it is offered on basically all Sony and Panasonic models.
10-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #97

Depends on what you mean by pro work

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
This is the crippling thing about HDSLRs, which is not present in mirrorless cameras (e.g. K-01). I do think there could be an extension to this time limit in the K-3, given the more durable shutter mechanism (which may be a hint of an upgraded mirror mechanism too). I'm not a video expert, but if the K-01 can do it without the sensor overheating, then it's not really the sensor itself that overheats... but something else.
The only pro that need longer than 20 min are event videographers who do weddings, performances and meetings. Other types of "pros" those who shoot commercials, training, corporates, narrative etc usually only record short sections at a time that are edited into longer pieces later on. So a dslr could be viable option for them. So far no dslr from any mfg has been a good choice for long recording times mostly due to overheating issues and poor audio work flow.

The k01 will overheat -- I've done it along with the k7, 5dii, 7d and a few others

10-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Today any good video monitor has peaking and many other stuff. And you need one most of the time anyway.
Well if you already have an external video monitor, there are plenty of mass-market DLSRs available to you. Your average DSLR user is not going to walk around with a LCD monitor attached to the hotshoe.
10-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Ooh, I don't like that little bit mentioned about how it will automatically shut itself off if the sensor gets too hot. That it definitely not ok for pro work. The last thing you need is to be filming something important that only happens once, and have your camera decide to shut itself off. I hope there's a way to override that. Obviously you on't want to wreck your sensor. But if you find yourself in a situation where the one-time only goods are unfolding in front of your camera on an important job, pretty sure most pros would rather get the shot and risk messing up their camera than have to tell the client you missed it because your camera shut itself off.
Canon 5Diii has a 29:59 recording limit and are susceptible to overheating as well. It's really only an issue when shooting long events. Short stuff, particularly the action-type things that you do, should not be an issue. Get a backup body and have it ready to go if you are shooting in extreme heat.
10-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
"full manual control" in video mode... full manual includes aperture control... ^^
can it takes stills during video?
10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #101
Banned

The low cost Sony NEX-5N came out in 2011 with 1080p60 and Sony has it in many of their cameras that cost less than the GH3. My first camera with 1080p60 was the Panasonic TM700 3MOS camcorder in April 2010 and even my compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 superzoom has 1080p60 along with my full frame Sony NEX-VG900 .
10-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #102
Veteran Member

here we have some info about video in K-3: www.guts7.com: PENTAX K3

Some photos:

and video:
10-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
here we have some info about video in K-3: www.guts7.com: PENTAX K3

Some photos:

and video:
Pentax K3 - YouTube
Interesting. It now makes me wonder if the physical Mode dial works when in video mode?

Thx for sharing.
10-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #104
Banned

If you wanted to shoot the maximum 4K HDR movie interval timelapse you could shoot for 99 hours @ one frame every 2 seconds that will amount to 178,200 frames that would give you a 49min 30 sec 4K HDR timelapse @60FPS.
10-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Canon 5Diii has a 29:59 recording limit and are susceptible to overheating as well. It's really only an issue when shooting long events. Short stuff, particularly the action-type things that you do, should not be an issue. Get a backup body and have it ready to go if you are shooting in extreme heat.
I understand that, and I have no problem with shoot time limits. But the way the description made it sound, it will also just shut itself at any time if it think it's getting too hot. It's one thing to have to plan around a known time limit, it's another thing if it just shuts off half way through a take and you didn't know it was coming.

You'd be surprised (I was) how easy it is to rack up some really long takes shooting adventure stuff, especially climbing. People don't move that fast, and when someone is going for a hard attempt, you don't want to miss anything, so it's easiest to just let it roll. You can strategically cut and restart when there's a break in the action, which helps with clip length; but that doesn't really help with heat, since the sensor is only off for a few seconds.

I know all DSLRs have a heat issue, so I'm not knocking the K-3 for that. Just the notion of it randomly deciding to shut itself off, scares me a little.