Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #106
Inactive Account

No RAW video

All,

Long time since I have posted here. I wanted to clear up some confusion. The way the specifications were originally posted to the Ricoh Imaging website it may have given the impression that the formats listed where it mentioned RAW was for video. These were actually the still image formats. This has been corrected on the website to be more clear.

Still a pretty great camera though!

John

10-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I understand that, and I have no problem with shoot time limits. But the way the description made it sound, it will also just shut itself at any time if it think it's getting too hot. It's one thing to have to plan around a known time limit, it's another thing if it just shuts off half way through a take and you didn't know it was coming.

You'd be surprised (I was) how easy it is to rack up some really long takes shooting adventure stuff, especially climbing. People don't move that fast, and when someone is going for a hard attempt, you don't want to miss anything, so it's easiest to just let it roll. You can strategically cut and restart when there's a break in the action, which helps with clip length; but that doesn't really help with heat, since the sensor is only off for a few seconds.

I know all DSLRs have a heat issue, so I'm not knocking the K-3 for that. Just the notion of it randomly deciding to shut itself off, scares me a little.
Good point. Maybe a GH3 is a better solution for your needs. I've got the GH2 and have run for 2+ hours without overheating.
10-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
All,

Long time since I have posted here. I wanted to clear up some confusion. The way the specifications were originally posted to the Ricoh Imaging website it may have given the impression that the formats listed where it mentioned RAW was for video. These were actually the still image formats. This has been corrected on the website to be more clear.

John
Thanks John - great looking camera and looking for more good things from Denver.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.
10-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All,

John
Thanks for the clarification, John!

10-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well I never edit the video file which is RAW rather than RAW pic files...

What is good things about RAW video?
Same thing as RAW vs. JPEG photos. More dynamic range. You can fix white balance later. You can run better image sharpening, etc. on a faster computer than the little chip on the camera. Except at the video level (and yes, anything video related pretty much requires a fast video card to help w/ the processing).
Here's a demo video so you can see why we videophiles were so excited initially:
Comparing Magic Lantern Raw vs H.264 on My Canon 5D Mark III

Makes a huge difference as you can see. Pentax would have a huge coupe if they were the first DSLR w/ built-in RAW video support, but I suspect Panasonic will do it first because Canon doesn't want to impact their 1Dc sales by putting it in a 5DmkIV. Panasonic will also probably be the first w/ 4K video recording DSLRs since they make their own chips.

@JCPentax: if you're still listening: what's the H.264 bit rate the video is recorded at? And can you emit uncompressed frames to the HDMI output to do the H.264 compression later by recording to an Atmos?
I'm disappointed that USB 3.0 is the Hi-Speed version instead of Super-Speed, but that would have required passing wifi signals outside the body so I can see why they did it if they require using the FLU card for their "wifi" support
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #111
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Panasonic will also probably be the first w/ 4K video recording DSLRs since they make their own chips.
There is another company that makes their own chips that might beat them with a 4K camera but I am not allowed to mention it here since I will get banned again.
10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
The only pro that need longer than 20 min are event videographers who do weddings, performances and meetings.
Yup... which are also common nowadays.

But in any case, Pentax just went full throttle on video all of a sudden, and it's a joy to see it.

10-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon's 1D C shoots at 4K. RAW is a bigger deal for most applications.
10-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #114
Veteran Member

All,

John
Thanks for the clarification, John! Do you know if it will be possible to get an uncompressed, 1080 signal output from the HDMI, so you could record raw footage to an external recorder, like the D800 and a few of the hacked Canon's can do? If that would be possible, even if through a firmware update, that would be amazing. Also, if it's possible to unlock non-interlaced 1080p/60fps that would be incredible.

This camera looks amazing an I'm super psyched about it. But either one of those updates would really bump it into a whole other level, and put it at the top of the game in terms of video production. Regardless, it's packs a whole pbig pile of punch for the small Pentax package that we all know and love. Soooo much smaller than a D800 or 5DmkIII.
10-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All,

John
Cool to see you update us on things. Will you be more active with us on this forum? The k-3 is looking like a home-run for Pentax/Ricoh
10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #116
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Canon's 1D C shoots at 4K. RAW is a bigger deal for most applications.
For $12,000 it better shoot 4K since the 1D X is the same camera without 4K for half the price.
10-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
There is another company that makes their own chips that might beat them with a 4K camera but I am not allowed to mention it here since I will get banned again.
They won't because that would eat into their 1Dc sales
Panasonic has nothing to lose and everything to gain by bringing 4K to their GH4 to solidify "we are great alternatives for indie filmmakers" position. Their only real competition is the BMC which has better DR.

Pentax has done nicely to bring their video up to par finally, but it really is just up to par w/ Nikon IMHO. Canon/Sony/Panny has 1080/60p already and they're ahead of Nikon.
10-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #118
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
They won't because that would eat into their 1Dc sales
Panasonic has nothing to lose and everything to gain by bringing 4K to their GH4 to solidify "we are great alternatives for indie filmmakers" position. Their only real competition is the BMC which has better DR.

Pentax has done nicely to bring their video up to par finally, but it really is just up to par w/ Nikon IMHO. Canon/Sony/Panny has 1080/60p already and they're ahead of Nikon.
I did not mean Canon with the $12,000 1D C but another company that has more 4K cameras than Panasonic or Canon. The GH4 should have 4K and I don't consider the BMC in the same class since it needs a rig and not a choice for people who want to shoot videos like regular consumers that want to watch the videos on their HDTV or upload to youtube instantly with no PP.
10-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #119
Pentaxian

What I'm most exicited, is that this paggage comes with really nice pricetag. And this headphone thing with focus peaking with all modes makes it quite good and really good alternative for bigger brands...le's see rewievs...
10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I did not mean Canon with the $12,000 1D C but another company that has more 4K cameras than Panasonic or Canon.
Sony? They'd only affect their $6K camcorder if they stuck 4K video into their DSLRs. That's a good point though...they value video highly as well and control their own sensors and DSLR bodies, so they could very well beat Panasonic to the punch by putting it in their own DSLRs or into Olympus' since they own a big piece of Olympus.

I mentioned BMC because they innovated by offering 4K RAW video to prosumers first (RED initially did, but they're out of the price range of most people :-) and their video has great DR as a result (much better than most DSLRs except for the hacked 5DmkIII RAW).