Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Real reason for lack of SR is noise, not power consumption or such. As most people just record sound using build in mikes and they pick up SR noise. Hence people report to service about issues. :-)

10-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #152
Veteran Member

I get zero SR noise from the K-7 in movie mode. So I think that's not a reason enough.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-09-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spilling
10-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I get zero SR noise from the K-7 in movie mose. So I think that's not a reason enough.
Ditto. I get get zero SR noise from K-5 either. Maybe it if you were recording something very quiet and only using the onboard mic. But serious video shooter is going to be using an external mic for anything important anyways, so I feel like SR noise is a moot point even if it were an issue. Also, maximizing battery life doesn't seem nearly as important as maximizes quality of footage, which seems like the trade that was made (again, unless they found a way to drastically improve digital SR). At the very least, why not give shooters the option, and let people choose whether they would prefer long battery life of better stabilization on a situational basis.
10-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
No it doesn't. The only Canon 'DSLR' to offer 1080/60p is the 1D-C. not even the 1D-X does 1080/60p.
I stand corrected, my T3i records at Full HD @30fps, and HD [720p] @60, but that's a 3 year old camera. An entry/mid-level/not-flagship camera. My Galaxy S3 does 1080p @30fps. And frankly, 1080i @60fps is pretty much 1080p @30fps.. as you may know the "i" stands for interlaced, which means only half of the lines are recorded in each frame, so my point was that I wouldn't brag about 1080i, but since it's still leaps ahead in video, well, they have to boast about everything they can.

10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding "Movie SR":

I think this is just the menu item name for SR on/off during video recording. It is a separate setting from SR on/off during stills, hence the different menu item name to avoid user confusion.

I think it allows no deduction about the underlying implementations.

having said this, I believe that the K-3 does the same the K-5 does in video and LV: sensor shift stabilization with a low frequency "crawl back to center" behaviour. It is different from stills where the sensor jumps to center when the image is taken.

Regarding 1080p@60Hz:
Yes, it is rare. But this mode, esp. 720p@120Hz is very interesting, e.g. for slomo and becoming a requested feature. AFAIK, the LX5 and Nikon1 can do this.

Moreover, I am keen to learn if the K-3, like the majority of still cameras, use subsampling in video; or is one of the rare exceptions. With an all new Sony chip, who knows ...

Last edited by falconeye; 10-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.
10-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #156

Nofilmschool picked up the K3 announcement.

New Pentax K-3 DSLR Has a Customizable Anti-Aliasing Filter & is Capable of Internal 4K Time-Lapse Video
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Regarding "Movie SR":

I think this is just the menu item name for SR on/off during video recording. It is a separate setting from SR on/off during stills, hence the different menu item name to avoid user confusion.

I think it allows no deduction about the underlying implementations.

having said this, I believe that the K-3 does the same the K-5 does in video and LV: sensor shift stabilization with a low frequency "crawl back to center" behaviour. It is different from stills where the sensor jumps to center when the image is taken.

Regarding 1080p@60Hz:
Yes, it is rare. But this mode, esp. 720p@120Hz is very interesting, e.g. for slomo and becoming a requested feature. AFAIK, the LX5 and Nikon1 can do this.

Moreover, I am keen to learn if the K-3, like the majority of still cameras, use subsampling in video; or is one of the rare exceptions. With an all new Sony chip, who knows ...
There still seems to be some doubt as to the maker of the sensor (I am hopeful that it's a new and superior Sony 24MP which has a real advantage over the D7100's Toshiba sensor) as it would be nice to see a Pentax back at the top of the sensor score tree at DX0 Mark again along with it's advantages.

Do Pentax actually add their own SR tech to the sensors they use or do they buy Sony sensors that already have it attached? If the later is true it would seem to indicate a Sony sensor in the latest camera.

10-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
All the serious improvements in the video department will be useless to me if there's the same old jello effect.
From the spec site:
Shutter
Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-run, focal plane shutter

It's still jello time. Too bad they couldn't improve on that.
10-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #159
Veteran Member

It has nothing to do with a video - it's the regular mechanical shutter specs (the one that is used for stills).
10-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Regarding "Movie SR":

Well, this just adds confusion because Movie SR is the menu name for the Pentax Q and the Pentax K-01. So are you implying that these two cameras may use sensor-shift stabilisation in movie mode after all?
10-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
It has nothing to do with a video - it's the regular mechanical shutter specs (the one that is used for stills).
Video uses a different shutter? Didn't know that, but it's still a CMOS sensor, and I see no indication of any technology to avoid the "rolling shutter" effect. I think if a company overcomes that they'd be screaming it from the rooftops.

Last edited by Kmounter; 10-09-2013 at 09:17 PM.
10-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kmounter Quote
Video uses a different shutter? Didn't know that, but it's still a CMOS sensor, and I see no indication of any technology to avoid the "rolling shutter" effect. I think if a company overcomes that they'd be screaming it from the rooftops.
No physical shutter is used during video - it is the electronic shutter.

Global shutter, the opposite of rolling shutter, is desireable, but is not apparently enough to make a camera in and of itself. For example, the Digital Bolex has been designed with a global shutter, but it's not incredibly famous.
10-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
So are you implying that these two cameras may use sensor-shift stabilisation in movie mode after all?
Of course not.
I just assume Pentax not to expect a user to compare user manuals...

Please stop to draw conclusions from the name of a menu item in one camera for another one. That has no point.
10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Global shutter, the opposite of rolling shutter, is desireable
for video, yes (global electronic shutter, as opposed to rolling electronic shutter).

However, most possible analog implementations of a global electronic shutter (charge buffers) have a negative impact on image quality, be it read noise or full well capacity. Digital implementations could avoid that but don't exist and would be very expensive, esp. with high pixel counts.

The jello effect is reduced by faster readout speeds and I expect that with increasing sensor speeds (I hear of 1080p@120Hz sensors and 4k video coming soon) the jello effect will become small enough to lift the pressure to make a global shutter. It is kind of a race and it remains to be seen if a global electronic shutter will ever come to a still camera.

Note that the K-3's mechanical shutter is a rolling shutter too (corresponds to 4000p@180Hz) and nobody ever complained about its rolling shutter effect in stills...
10-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #165
Veteran Member

It is quite reasonable to expect that they would not use the exact same menu name to mean two different things, Falk.

QuoteQuote:
I just assume Pentax not to expect a user to compare user manuals..
Many of us here own more than one Pentax camera, to my mind that's exactly what users will do and Pentax would certainly be careful in keeping things standardised across models. It just makes sense.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-10-2013 at 02:48 AM.