Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
It is quite reasonable to expect that they would not use the exact same menu name to mean two different things, Falk.
Yes, if things were different.

But both menu items designate stabilization during video. It is just not meaningful to deduce implementation from this.

It is like saying: the K50 has a burst mode menu item, so the K-3's burst mode must be same speed as K50 because they named it the same. It simply isn't a possible deduction. Same for "Movie SR".

10-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It is a separate setting from SR on/off during stills, hence the different menu item name to avoid user confusion.
- which is a good idea, so the user knows that (s)he is only affecting movie SR when changing the setting here. I don't think "Movie SR" means a specific implementation in "Pentax lingo". My 7 year old (and still waterproof ) Optio W10 has the "cheap" electronic variant, and Pentax called it "Movie anti-shake" back then.
10-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On DSLR using sensor stabilization for video they call SR for "Shake Reduction" for both photography and video, but on cameras using digital SR for video they only use "Shake Reduction" for photography and "Video SR" for video.

So at least so far they have used a separate name for "digital SR".
10-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #169
Veteran Member

and nobody ever complained about its rolling shutter effect in stills...
It's quite visible if you're trying to freeze the movement of some objects with a shutter instead of short duration flash. Not only in Pentax cameras of course.

10-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #170
Pentaxian

nobody ever complained about its rolling shutter effect in stills...
Well, a couple of years ago my son asked me what happened to the walls of the houses he shot with his iPhone 3G out of the window of a train :-)
10-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #171
Inactive Account

the best part is hat i was ready to by a gh2 or 3 for video but seems that the k3 will be a great video camera...we must wait for an hack like gh2 to have the best anyway.
10-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, a couple of years ago my son asked me what happened to the walls of the houses he shot with his iPhone 3G out of the window of a train :-)
The little word "its" in the quoted text referred to a focal plane shutter. The iPhones have no such shutter.

10-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #173
Veteran Member

The iPhones have no such shutter.
It doesn't matter, the regular FP shutter gives you the same results with objects moving fast enough.
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
It doesn't matter, the regular FP shutter gives you the same results with objects moving fast enough.
Post makes no sense when reading my posts again.
10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At this point I think that all we can do is wait for some video-oriented testers to get their hands on the K-3 and really put it through its paces.
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
It is quite reasonable to expect that they would not use the exact same menu name to mean two different things, Falk.

Many of us here own more than one Pentax camera, to my mind that's exactly what users will do and Pentax would certainly be careful in keeping things standardised across models. It just makes sense.
Yes, if things were different.

But both menu items designate stabilization during video. It is just not meaningful to deduce implementation from this.

It is like saying: the K50 has a burst mode menu item, so the K-3's burst mode must be same speed as K50 because they named it the same. It simply isn't a possible deduction. Same for "Movie SR".
Q/K-01/K-30/K-50 are the limited, different, mid range Menu set and control dial / button set. K-3/K-5/II is the full-featured Menu and Contol Dial set. It is natural to expect definitional and operational changes from the Mid-range Menu to the Full-Feature Menu.
10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Anybody saw this? ->

It says twice the buffer size and 5x readout (14 Bit data transfer) speed.

If they make use of this 5x speed improvement when grabbing frames, assuming the same subsampling layout, then the jello effect could be reduced to 30% of that of the K-5. Theoretically. Maybe, this picture is wrong if it refers to the Milbeaut chip and the sensor itself is the bottleneck.
10-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #178
Veteran Member

There is an English version of it and it says 5x transfer speed and 2x buffer capacity. Animation clearly suggest that it is about processor- buffer transfer, not sensor readout speed.
10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
the best part is hat i was ready to by a gh2 or 3 for video but seems that the k3 will be a great video camera...we must wait for an hack like gh2 to have the best anyway.
Wait for the bitrate numbers and tests...the GH2/GH3 did well because of high H.264 bitrates...
Weird that Pentax didn't publish this. Or mention that you could get the uncompressed data stream over the HDMI port.

For reference, other bitrates
5D Mark II = 38-Mbps
5D Mark III = 90Mbps (I frame)
7D = 47-Mbps
D800 = 24-Mbps (B frame so more efficient but puts out uncompressed HDMI)
GH3 = 50Mbps (B frame like D800) or 72Mbps (I frame)

But the weird thing is the GH3 has more video resolution than the D800/5DmkIII which are closer to 720p.
10-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Animation clearly suggest that it is about processor- buffer transfer, not sensor readout speed.
You are right, my fault. Its just the memory interface speed.