Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I saw those movies, and the sound of AA simulator can be cleary heard, when the focal length is changed. And a jump on the image is the consequence. But those movies was made with a preproduction camera. Probably, this problem will be fixed in the series production. Must be.
AA sub-pixel vibration of the floating SR mechanism would not cause this sound or effect imho..
The loud click appears to me to be a working Auto Focus as he zooms in/out. Pity because that makes AF unusable for movies unless you use and off-camera mic.
The tower wobble is the SR trying to compensate and poorly, but we don't know the shutter speed he set the camera at..
But, turn off Movie SR and I'll bet that's gone because he's not panning fast enough to show CMOS scanning wobble-vision..

And as the selectable AA filter uses their SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism it's hardly going to be a factor if mechanical SR isn't used for Movie SR. This suggests that selectable AA isn't an option movie mode either. But I have no evidence yet.
PENTAX K-3 Announcement | Ricoh Imaging Support

10-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Imaging Resource site has recorded and analize the sound of AA simulator. Is the same noise.
10-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #228
Pentaxian

The Imaging Resource site has recorded and analize the sound of AA simulator. Is the same noise.
What if you (in video mode) have to choose AA simulator or mechanical SR, but can't use both at the same time?

I really hope there's a sensible explanation here. It just makes no sense that they even add a headphone jack and then ditches the SR of the K-5...
10-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Imaging Resource (thanks for the link by the way) says of the AA system:
QuoteQuote:
Ultimately, it might even be possible to extend this system to use in video recording as well.
Suggestive that the AA filter is NOT used during video as I surmised.

As to the recording you mention, this is shooting stills with and then without the AA filter sim.
Nothing to do with video mode at all.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/zk3aafilter1-20sec_raw.mp3

Then they say:
QuoteQuote:
The sound artifact is doubtless why Pentax hasn't tried to use the new AA system for video operation, where it would appear prominently in the soundtrack from in-camera mics and can be even heard fairly readily from anywhere near the camera, in a quiet environment.

10-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #230
Veteran Member

If is not the AA FS, what is that noise and that jump?
10-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't see why the hardward-based SR would alleviate any of the issues you mentioned if they are rolling shutter induced.
I don't know if this is what we see, but here goes the common wisdom:

If a video is digitally stabilized, then this is done by aligning consecutive frames, using image information or info from gyro sensors.
However, shake not only induces consecutive frames to be shifted from one another. It does induce all artefacts which come with the shake movement too:
- jump of the image (what digital stabilization tries to remove)
- blur (can't be healed, is particularly large if using movie-like shutter speeds)
- rolling shutter distortion (can be healed if the shake movement was uniform - some stabilizers try to correct for jello, some don't)

A sensor-shift or lens-shift based stabilization (aka optical stabilization) avoids all three effects because the image does not move relative to the sensor.
10-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
A sensor-shift or lens-shift based stabilization (aka optical stabilization) avoids all three effects because the image does not move relative to the sensor.
Ah, of course, thanks.

My tired brain just thought of rolling shutter in the general case (e.g., helicopter blades) and forgot the special case when the subject isn't moving and the sensor movement can neutralise the image shake.

10-20-2013, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Horrified at the thought of software SR

I think all we can hope for is that someone with influence from RICOH is reading these posts, and they understand that those of us intending to use
the K-3 as a serious video cam are horrified at the possible implementation of software based SR.

Personally, I've experienced it in the K-01, and shudder at the thought it could make its way into this so-called professional implementation.

I imagine we all hope that sensor-shift based SR is "switched on" for the final release.

Please make it so, RICOH San!

Then again, maybe it was always going to be released with sensor shift SR. If so, thank you very, very much.

AB
10-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #234
Forum Member

I still don't know why Pentax used electronic SR, because it makes the video rubish. Much better with the SR off!

Strange, because when you use the live view mode, the SR is absolutely amazing and you wonder why it's so difficult to use it on video as well, especially when other brands do it.
10-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #235
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
I think all we can hope for is that someone with influence from RICOH is reading these posts, and they understand that those of us intending to use
the K-3 as a serious video cam are horrified at the possible implementation of software based SR.

Personally, I've experienced it in the K-01, and shudder at the thought it could make its way into this so-called professional implementation.

I imagine we all hope that sensor-shift based SR is "switched on" for the final release.

Please make it so, RICOH San!

Then again, maybe it was always going to be released with sensor shift SR. If so, thank you very, very much.

AB
If i got it right, the SR-system have been strengthen on K3, and probably need more juice. Could this be a question of draining battery too fast?
/ Lars
10-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #236

Pentax K-3 Hands-On Preview
Here is present a discussion about the noise from the AA system.

Anyway about video i think for example:
Support for raw video until 2.5K with different fps.
Support for professional video codec (for example ProRes) and container.
Remove the sound artifact produced from the AA system with a little signal processing so, at that point, could be used even on video.

Note:
Despite for video i think the mirrorless route is better.
10-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
If i got it right, the SR-system have been strengthen on K3, and probably need more juice. Could this be a question of draining battery too fast?
/ Lars
I doubt it Lars, but if so, just have more batteries at the ready.

AB
10-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #238
Veteran Member

Especially so since they have used mechanical SR it their previous models and it worked well. The change to a bad implementation of software SR really does defy all logic.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
I still don't know why Pentax used electronic SR, because it makes the video rubish. Much better with the SR off!

Strange, because when you use the live view mode, the SR is absolutely amazing and you wonder why it's so difficult to use it on video as well, especially when other brands do it.
10-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Is there any real need to use SR [at all] in movie mode? In camera SR is always a compromise whether it's mechanical or not.
10-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Is there any real need to use SR [at all] in movie mode? In camera SR is always a compromise whether it's mechanical or not.
I don't do much video, but I've been quite impressed by the K-5's SR. I think the need is quite real when doing hand held video!