Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
K-3 will not be used for commercial video.

Video is a supporting role for dSLRs (except maybe the four cameras which are selected by commercial film makers). Supporting role as in family videos, event coverage, social media content. Where people don't bring their rigs, rails and focus pullers.

So, decent control over jello effect and sampling artefacts, decent stabilization, silent and snappy AF in video as well as peaking, are all requirements for this supporting role.

Of course, K-3 can still shine for its major role, photography
AFAIK, nobody's managed to implement silent and snappy video AF on any camera with a sensor larger than Micro Four Thirds, mirrorless or otherwise. I haven't used Sony though, so YMMV. Some are better than others, but they all feel generations behind what we are used to for stills. Dedicated video cameras, even the consumer level, do a much better job, likely because their smaller sensors give them a much greater margin for error.

And I'll that we'll have to wait and see more samples, but my experience with the K-01's and Q's digital stabilization is that it is "decent". Sure, there are situations where it can be tripped up, but if we are shooting home videos instead of Hollywood blockbusters, then it may very well be up to the task.

11-03-2013, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-01 stabilization was turned off on my camera on day 3 of testing.
Digital stabilization is not that old of a technology and it's still being refined. I'm sure in 5 years time, it will be amazing.
For home movies, I prefer the jerky unstabilized video vs the digital stabilized video. The unstabilized looks more like my old Super 8.
11-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #333
Pentaxian

There are many possible causes, e.g., management, software engineering team fluctuation, and one technical reason:
Yes, makes sense.

The potential technical reason could be construed to fuel FF dreams by the hopeful.
11-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #334

Just a question to those that own the K-01 and/or K30.

When you deactivate SR in video mode, does the image return to a non-cropped field of view or does it stay partially cropped but not stabilise?

11-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #335
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
AFAIK, nobody's managed to implement silent and snappy video AF on any camera with a sensor larger than Micro Four Thirds, mirrorless or otherwise.
The 70D is great at this, professional grade focus pull quality. A few others are good enough for home use IMHO.
11-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The 70D is great at this, professional grade focus pull quality. A few others are good enough for home use IMHO.
The fact that the 70D is the only one that meets this criteria demonstrates that this is a non-trivial achievement. Congrats to Canon for cracking the code. To be honest, I'm not surprised that Pentax is behind the curve here, especially since they don't have the resources like Canon and Nikon to put PDAF on the sensor but rather have to wait for their supplier (Sony) to get to it themselves. IIRC, one of the later SONY NEX camera had PDAF on the sensor and it wasn't very good.

I suspect that people that are expecting more are underestimating the technical challenge.
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #337
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
Just a question to those that own the K-01 and/or K30.

When you deactivate SR in video mode, does the image return to a non-cropped field of view or does it stay partially cropped but not stabilise?
Stays cropped and not stabilized.

I can't see any reasons why pentax would crop the image even when it's not stabilized. Stupid.

11-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
I can't see any reasons why pentax would crop the image even when it's not stabilized. Stupid.
ok, but lets be fair. the crop isn't that much. Personally i hardly notice it & on my 16-45 lens, wideangle is still a wideangle...
My sony has the same issue where the crop is even bigger, so i guess there might be a good reason.
At least, it does not really bother me. but i am not everyone ofcourse
11-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The fact that the 70D is the only one that meets this criteria demonstrates that this is a non-trivial achievement. Congrats to Canon for cracking the code. To be honest, I'm not surprised that Pentax is behind the curve here, especially since they don't have the resources like Canon and Nikon to put PDAF on the sensor but rather have to wait for their supplier (Sony) to get to it themselves. IIRC, one of the later SONY NEX camera had PDAF on the sensor and it wasn't very good.

I suspect that people that are expecting more are underestimating the technical challenge.
I believe you're correct regarding autofocus being a very technical problem and the fact that it doesn't have PDAF on the sensor makes it very difficult. Software only solutions may never work for smooth autofocus to rival a camcorder or the new 70D.

Saying that, mechanical sensor stabilization exist on the K-5 and doesn't exist on the K-3. I hope the issue isn't related to a physical limitations in the SR unit or licensing. I'm still hopful that it will be added in a future firmware upgrade.
11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #340
Veteran Member

Stays cropped and not stabilized.

AFAIK it has to do with keeping an integer (or at least half integer) scaling factor between the sensor and the recorded video.

Full HD is 1920 pixels wide whereas the K3 sensor is 6016. With a 1:3 ratio, that is 3 horizontal pixels per one horizontal pixel in video makes 5760 pixels, which is about 95% of the width.

With the K-30 you have 4928 hoirizontal pixels so the closest is 1:2.5, giving 4800 pixels, being about 97%.

To get the full frame you would need to scale some odd ratio. For the K-3 that would be 3.13333. Although it can be done it takes far more processing to do and especially if you want to avoid alisasing artifacts.

All digital cameras I've ever had crop the video to a greater or lesser extent, even the ones without image stabilisation, most likely for this very reason.
11-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
AFAIK it has to do with keeping an integer (or at least half integer) scaling factor between the sensor and the recorded video.
hm, interesting. digital stabilizing might thus not even be related to it
Although i thought i understood my sony A77 crops to be able to have an area to play with for SR
I do think the crop is far less (even never noticed) on a canon.
Maybe the answer is a mixture between the two?
thks
11-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #342
Forum Member

I'm a bit disappointed about K-3 after feedbacks from first K-3 users about the video functions .
It's not better than even GH2 (hacked) or near matched to Pana GH3 !
For years, I always hope Pentax to give some video tech breakthrough , so I won't have to carry both cameras all the time.
11-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #343
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote

Full HD is 1920 pixels wide whereas the K3 sensor is 6016. With a 1:3 ratio, that is 3 horizontal pixels per one horizontal pixel in video makes 5760 pixels, which is about 95% of the width.

With the K-30 you have 4928 hoirizontal pixels so the closest is 1:2.5, giving 4800 pixels, being about 97%.

To get the full frame you would need to scale some odd ratio. For the K-3 that would be 3.13333. Although it can be done it takes far more processing to do and especially if you want to avoid alisasing artifacts.

All digital cameras I've ever had crop the video to a greater or lesser extent, even the ones without image stabilisation, most likely for this very reason.
Still, it's the only DSLR in the market that crops the video. And I think it crops way more than 5% of the width, something close to 10%.

And, why doesn't the K5 crop the video?
11-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #344
Veteran Member

Still, it's the only DSLR in the market that crops the video
sony Alpha's as well... also digital SR
But you are right, the others do not "crop"
11-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #345
Veteran Member

Still, it's the only DSLR in the market that crops the video. And I think it crops way more than 5% of the width, something close to 10%.

And, why doesn't the K5 crop the video?
That surprises me somewhat. Could it be that other DSLRs sensors match the HD video resolution?

By any chance do you know what is the horizontal resolution and the resolution of the recorded video for the K-5 and some other DSLR that does not crop video? I am somewhat intrigued that they would be doing non integer scaling as it is very processing intensive compared to ratios of small integral numbers (like 1:3, 5:2, 6:7 and so on)