Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
And, why doesn't the K5 crop the video?
The K-5 uses mechanical SR, so doesn't need the extra pixels around the crop to invoke digital SR.

Thus it's able to interpolate down to 1920x1080 by using the whole sensor.

Whatever is left over (if indeed there is anything left over) in the scaling calculation, doesn't show up possibly because it equates to

only a pixel or two of the overall sensor's dimensions.

AB

11-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #347

Photos: Gallery
1. First picture is the video image (-> crop) of Pentax K-30 over photo image, a little bit zoomed for right perspective -> see point #2:

2. In the 2nd picture you can see the real perspective distortion causes by crop (video image over photo image). The real SR area will be a little bit greater as video size fits in pictures.

Notice the blur in front and back parts of both pictures (video and photo). I think, K-3 solution will be the same with better specs .?.

Shot with smc Pentax-A 50mm f/2.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hopsing Quote
2. In the 2nd picture you can see the real perspective distortion causes by crop (video image over photo image).
Cropping does not cause a perspective distortion. If distance is the same there should be no difference in perspective.
11-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #349
Veteran Member

So in video mode we essentially have a 4/3rds, APS-C camera with terrible image quality with stabilization enabled. But it's great because it has a headphone jack! Brilliant design by Pentax engineers.

QuoteOriginally posted by hopsing Quote
1. First picture is the video image (-> crop) of Pentax K-30 over photo image, a little bit zoomed for right perspective -> see point #2:

2. In the 2nd picture you can see the real perspective distortion causes by crop (video image over photo image). The real SR area will be a little bit greater as video size fits in pictures.

Notice the blur in front and back parts of both pictures (video and photo). I think, K-3 solution will be the same with better specs .?.

Shot with smc Pentax-A 50mm f/2.

11-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
So in video mode we essentially have a 4/3rds, APS-C camera with terrible image quality with stabilization enabled. But it's great because it has a headphone jack! Brilliant design by Pentax engineers.
Remember, they also say it has proffessional video.

It's good that we're all getting annoyed by this - maybe they'll get the message.

"We're as mad as hell, and we're not going to take it any more!!"

AB
11-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #351

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Cropping does not cause a perspective distortion. If distance is the same there should be no difference in perspective.
Yes, indeed. I mean the 2nd crop effect, it's not a perspective distortion .
11-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #352
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here's what Jordan from The Camera Store has to say about the K-3 video capabilities:

"2- I'd put the K-3 above the Sony NEX and Nikon D7100, but the 70D has a great high bitrate with wonderful continuous autofocus, and the GH3 is still the best small camera option out there. I love the image from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera, but it can't shoot stills, and the audio control is abysmal."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241653-tcstv-k-3-field-tes...#ixzz2jrmWqe8y

11-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Here's what Jordan from The Camera Store has to say about the K-3 video capabilities:

"2- I'd put the K-3 above the Sony NEX and Nikon D7100, but the 70D has a great high bitrate with wonderful continuous autofocus, and the GH3 is still the best small camera option out there. I love the image from the Blackmagic Pocket Camera, but it can't shoot stills, and the audio control is abysmal."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241653-tcstv-k-3-field-tes...#ixzz2jrmWqe8y
That gives us something to hang our hats on, for sure.

For me it's been a toss up between the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera and the K-3.

The BMPCC does have some early "got-yas", as pointed out, plus once you start shooting, there's no idea of how much storage you have left, and there's a lack of wide angle options.

AB
11-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #354
Inactive Account

Hi, later a k7 , I take a k5 , and disaproved , in video mode, again was no MANUAL setting , like , SHUTTER, ISO and many more... automatic exp. (so automatic iso/shutter) and LOCK with ae-l button.
So bad in many situations of light... NOW again another pentax...but my question is , what really change new in VIDEO OPTIONS ? more resolutions but....any one can say to me , IF have manual setting durng recorder of ISO, SHUTTER, IRIS... separatly ? or meaby cou can set them only in stanby , or lile k7 and 5...no one of this setting are manual ?
THANKS !!!
11-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gambadilegno Quote
what really change new in VIDEO OPTIONS ?
Iso/shutter/iris is fully manual!

and I understand: also during recording. Can someone confirm the latter?
11-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #356

I wonder if anyone with an actual K-3 could actually check and actually see if the actual image "crops / zooms in and out" when actually switching between still and video shooting with image stabilization actually turned off. (using a tripod and not messing with the zoom would probably be good) A test with the image stabilization actually turned on (for those run and gun non cinematic shoots) would be cute to.
11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #357
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
I wonder if anyone with an actual K-3 could actually check and actually see if the actual image "crops / zooms in and out" when actually switching between still and video shooting with image stabilization actually turned off. (using a tripod and not messing with the zoom would probably be good) A test with the image stabilization actually turned on (for those run and gun non cinematic shoots) would be cute to.
Switching from Live View stills to Video crops the image a couple degrees to either side and top and bottom (3:2 to 19:9 proportions). SR has no effect on amount of crop.

Turning SR on and off while in video mode has no effect on crop.
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #358
Inactive Account

thanks

SO in video mode, ..ISO, SHUTTER, IRIS...can be setting manually and separately !! god..!!!finally!!

, in k5, despite excellent video was dramatic work without control!

BUT you can set them also when you are in REC mode! ( iris I think yes...and iso & shutter ?!?)

are any video quality , also in 4k demos examples ? on youtbe or vimeo to see ?
11-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #359

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Switching from Live View stills to Video crops the image a couple degrees to either side and top and bottom (3:2 to 19:9 proportions). SR has no effect on amount of crop.

Turning SR on and off while in video mode has no effect on crop.
johnmflores
Croping extra top and bottom is of course necessary. I'm talking about an extra 10% or so off the sides and even more off the top and bottom (a zoom in effect) like with the k-01 (not very important to most). Pentax APSC sensor pretty exactly matches today's super 35mm cine format but not with an extra crop. (Super 35 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Music video, all scenes with the lovers shot with K-01 (first time using the camera)
Copied from an old post: Recently I got a K-01 strictly for film making so the camera is used as though it was a Panaflex, thus SR and AF are of no use to me anyway and I am very pleased with the film look over Nikon's or Canon's I've used. The only thing I would like to see fixed on this little gem, is a firmware hack to disable the sensor crop in film mode. Any ideas?
11-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
Music video, all scenes with the lovers shot with K-01
nice video!