Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #361

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I should follow my own advice in my signature (A picture is worth a thousand words, so shut up.) and ask:
Doe's anyone know if the K-3 does this (see photos) like the K-01.

#1 K-01 Still

#2 K-01 Video

#3 K-01 Video frame lined up with Still frame and outlined to show crop.

Isn't technology fun.

11-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
believe so, 99% sure, but i don't have one...
11-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #363
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes...
11-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #364

The good news is you just saved me $1200

11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #365

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
nice video!
Thanks!
11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #366
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The good news is you just saved me $1200
What are you going to get instead?
11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #367
Veteran Member

I'm not understanding why that little cropping is such an issue. I would think all it means is using a slightly shorter focal length and you get anyway the same field of view. Resolution for sure is not an issue as even full HD is way less resolution than what the sensor can give (the image resolution is reduced some 2 to 3 times even if the whole sensor is used)

What am I missing?

11-08-2013, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
What am I missing?
nothing, there is no issue
people just need sthing to complain...
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #369

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What are you going to get instead?
I'll just keep the K-01 for film stuff. I've got a few nice old long focus throw lenses that follow nice, I'm a happy guy. Full APSC sensor would be happier but hey.
11-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #370
Forum Member

I'm not understanding why that little cropping is such an issue. I would think all it means is using a slightly shorter focal length and you get anyway the same field of view. Resolution for sure is not an issue as even full HD is way less resolution than what the sensor can give (the image resolution is reduced some 2 to 3 times even if the whole sensor is used)

What am I missing?
Well, APSC is already a cropped sensor, it gets double crop in video mode. It's hard to work with a 50mm, you need to get quite far with the video crop. Furthermore, if you need to use SR in post production it gets cropped again.

Basically it's much much worse, especially considering that canon for example can use digital zoom for video with no loss using the sensor crop, so you can choose how cropped you want the video, which is just a tiny variation in firmware programming, same as SR activation and such.

If you shot some video you would see.
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #371

What am I missing?
Good question. What your missing is very subtle at first but it's about feel.
Think of it this way. Why is there an 85mm(55mm apsc) and a 105mm(70mm apsc) when they're so close.
Back in the day as a Manhattan fashion/beauty photo bum, I used to do a lot of beauty photography, and almost always with a Nikon 105 2.5 (just pushing the limit of up close and personal feel) later with a Pentax 35-105 3.5 @ 105. Sometimes an 85mm for horizontal shots, and rarely but sometimes a 135mm for when you wanted the women to look less touchable.

In the case of the usability of a 28-70 well it's just not as perfect any more. Your gonna have to think when you want to create your 105 look and where 28-70 might have got you through your entire project/film now your a lot more likely to need something wider.

But it does give reason to seek improvement which gives people like grispie something to complain about so that's good.
11-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #372
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
So in video mode we essentially have a 4/3rds, APS-C camera with terrible image quality with stabilization enabled. But it's great because it has a headphone jack! Brilliant design by Pentax engineers.
Arggh...<facepalm>

Does anyone know what the bitrate is yet? At least the GH3 has a high bitrate. I'm beginning to think that for a video DSLR, the best bets are GH3 and Canon...haven't heard much about using Sony DSLRs for video either
11-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm beginning to think that for a video DSLR, the best bets are GH3 and Canon...haven't heard much about using Sony DSLRs for video either
pure video iq wise, gh3 will be better, canon a bit better, yes. but in the case of the gh3 , the crop is even more so. so putting mf lenses on it, is totally changing the feel for those lenses. now that is sthing to complain about. canon, to me, their lenses are too expensive and there is no SR whatsoever, unless you pay the price for it in every lens you buy.

the sonys are great. focus peaking (during rec) , real AF if you want, object tracking, great lenses, SR that shines, video IQ is there, tilt screen, viewfinder can be used during rec....
oh, and a small crop

ps: ayohs comment is oversimplifying and cynical. I can easily make any camera look like crap in that way.
11-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #374
Forum Member

I am working in the TV-business here in Norway and the main DSLR used is the Canon 5D - but this is not flawless. The worst thing about this is the codek. As it is good when looking at it it's almost impossible to do any PP because of the heavy compression of the H264. If K3 has some kind of MJPEG it's better either way. Another thing is that none of the professionals use the onboard LCD nor AF. They always uses external LCD with histogram and focus peak and they also disable any OS and uses shoulder rigs and a focus wheel to do it right. The 5D does not have the option to adjust the aperture while recording.

So from what I can read here, the K3 will deliver better video options than the leading camera in the business - apart from the FF. I would love to see this camera in the hands of someone who really know how to use it properly - like the promo from Allen Birnbach. And I would like to hear exactly what codeks you can choose from and how much info you have in PP.
11-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #375

The K-30 and K-3 have H.264 codec too.
K-30: MPEG-4 (Quicktime) AVC(High@L4.0)(CABAC / 2 Ref Frames), 25MBit/s.
The K-3 ..? It will be AVC (High@Level 4.1) to produce Full-HD video with 60/50fps, I'am shure. We will see later ...