Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Playing catch-up with a lively discussion,....

QuoteQuote:
engineering an mjpeg encoder into the custom silicon that pentax designed, along with writing it's firmware, would have taken up space, and cost more money... that's why you typically only get one codec with a video camera.
I would prefer the option of different CoDecs rather then all the stills and video post-processing applications.
All the space that is taken up with code that allows for 'gimmick' functions could easily be retasked for 'Pro' use.

Imagine if we could choose what options we wanted from firmware modules, and only run them, end users could choose to tailor their camera to specific uses - fast burst, more buffer space, different metering options - your camera could be a stills only unit one day, then tweak it to be pure video the next, according to what job you're doing that day.

Thinking from the point of view of 'What would I put in there if I was designing the camera', code that mimics freeware photo processing apps would be last on the list, I'd prefer to give a customer a better application to install on their own computer.
After a better CoDec, Raw dynamic range, and 4.2.2 HDMI clean output, I'd put in properly customizable buttons, full time focus peaking and proper adjustable Zebra displays.

QuoteQuote:
c100($3.4k): 24Mbps MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
c300($14k): 8 Bit MPEG-2 *Long GOP* 50 Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2 422P@HL
IMHO, that whole 'EOS Cinema' rage is completely overpriced for the jobs they do.

QuoteQuote:
with steadicam, you basically zoom with your feet :-)
"Sneaker-Zoom"

QuoteQuote:
the point of all this drivel, lol, is that if you can't get quality video footage out of the k-3, it's probably not going to be the fault of the camera... imho.
Agreed !!
On moving with a SteadiCam, I try to ramp in and out to a speed, start slow and accelerate - think of it as the difference coming off the line at the traffic light, when you just ease in to the gas, compared to flattening the pedal.

You two blokes are probably aware, but for everyone else reading, SteadiCam rigs in Film and TV are usually a two person operation, with the main operator rigged up in the suit to carry the rig around and concentrate on framing the shot, while an assistant runs focus and exposure (and occasionally zoom) via a wireless UHF link.

In studio operation, Pedestal mounted cameras have a 'camera' operator how pushes the camera around, zoom, focuses and frames the shot, and a Camera Control Unit (CCU) Operator sitting in the back of the control room adjusting the exposure, knee, white and black balance and more, basically everything done in colour grading, as the camera is being used Live.

QuoteQuote:
Well, to be honest, i've been shooting that way ever since i started. A friend of mine told me i had to do it.
But i always used the 'bright' profile where i turned down saturation, contrast and sharpness.
Don't know whether it will make a lot of difference if i turn to the 'muted' profile in terms of grading in premiere...
Will give it a shot. It certainly even looks more dull on the lcd😊
Would there be a 'golden setting by the way?
I think there might be, for each lighting condition you shoot in, you just adjust until you find it

QuoteQuote:
using a dolly on rails (don't think some slide cam type setup, think dollying the camera around on a wheelchair except with a little more finesse ) leaves your hands pretty free
I like the type where you sit on the platform and run the camera, and a mate pushes the dolly back and forth -> You can build this sort of rig with parts from a hardware store, using PVC plumbing pipe for flexible rails, wooden sheet, and roller skate wheels.

11-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #557
Veteran Member

K-01 vs K3 video,.... Well, if anyone at CR Kennedy is reading this, I'll happily take the loan of a K3 for a weekend and shoot side by side with my K-01.
Could even rope in some mates to do a weekend short film shoot in Melbourne and see how we go.

Come to think of it, for a film shoot I built a rig we never used, to mount three cameras stacked vertically, so if we can find two matched lenses, I can shoot exactly the same shot with both, at the same time!

That film btw, is called 'MurderDrome', and has it's 'world' premiere at Cinema Nova in Melbourne tomorrow night, and 'may,..' have just been sold in to the US marketplace.
So, I was Gaffer / Key Grip on an Indie 'Roller Derby Slasher Horror Film'

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 11-21-2013 at 03:22 AM.
11-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Come to think of it, for a film shoot I built a rig we never used, to mount three cameras stacked vertically, so if we can find two matched lenses, I can shoot exactly the same shot with both, at the same time!
well, you are getting very close to eternal gr(e)atefullness! :-)
11-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #559
Veteran Member

... I'll happily take the loan of a K3 for a weekend and shoot side by side with my K-01.
Like this ?

Metall Kamera Blitzschiene Blitzhalter für Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Sony DSLR | eBay

11-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #560
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-01 vs K3 video,.... Well, if anyone at CR Kennedy is reading this, I'll happily take the loan of a K3 for a weekend and shoot side by side with my K-01.
Have you tried asking them? For something like this, they might do it as long as you mention the loaner is from them.
11-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #561
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
Many times you have to shoot video HAND HELD, and with most cameras such as Panasonic, Sony, and Canon, the in camera stabilization is quite effective. We want to see if Pentax improved the SR on the K-3. Simple question. Simple test. Help!
it would be good to see that tested, definitely... if I had a k-3 i'd be glad to test shoot it like it's a camcorder, even tho i'd never shoot it like that in real life.

you aren't going to want to hear this, but no camcorder/dslr in camera stabilization system is effective enough to use the camera without some kind of brace or mount, period.

full-size broadcast tv cameras never had lens stabilization... they had a padded area that sits on your shoulder.
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
full-size broadcast tv cameras never had lens stabilization... they had a padded area that sits on your shoulder.
no, we don't want to hear this :-)
but in all fairness, we are not talking about broadcast tv now. The K3 can be a professional and a consumer tool, as any dslr. Consumers are interested in camera stabilisation without additional gear.
I think we need to start differentiating type of users here.

It is such a simple test and digi SR vs mech. was one of the first questions that was brought up on this forum when K3 was announced. Regardless of how you or myself or others work, it seems an area of interest.

11-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #563
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
no, we don't want to hear this :-)
I know, believe me, when I started shooting video, I didn't want to deal with it either

my point is, if you want quality footage you'll have to somehow brace the camera, regardless of how good the image stabilization is.

that said, those two videos that were posted clearly indicate that the comparison testing needs to be done by someone who knows how to shoot video.
11-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #564
Veteran Member

those two videos that were posted clearly indicate that the comparison testing needs to be done by someone who knows how to shoot video.
what do you mean? Didn't you like my videos? ;-)
11-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #565
osv
Veteran Member

did you shoot those? lol

we need a testing methodology... if you want to compare k-3 rolling shutter to a 7d and a 5dmkII, do it like it's done here, against the window, the camera settings are in the video:
11-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #566
Veteran Member

anyway, i ordered my (silver) K3 today. Could no longer resist.... I admit to be weak :-)
lets be honest, its santa time!
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #567
osv
Veteran Member

congrats, i think that you made a solid choice, i want one!! k-3 looks like an xlnt camera.

throw that puppy on a tripod, let's test it... i bet the jellocam is no worse than those expensive canon cameras.
11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #568
Veteran Member

oh well. in time we will learn to love the jello :-)
should come in in a few days. if no comparison by then, i'll do it.

But to be honest. Blunty was happy, the guy from TCS was happy, john flores seemed happy. i'll be happy too!
11-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #569
Veteran Member

I know, believe me, when I started shooting video, I didn't want to deal with it either

my point is, if you want quality footage you'll have to somehow brace the camera, regardless of how good the image stabilization is.

that said, those two videos that were posted clearly indicate that the comparison testing needs to be done by someone who knows how to shoot video.
Ok, when I'm back in YouTube-land (i.e. not in China) I'll try to post a video I shot while walking. 100% handheld, only camera + lens.

The Sony a57 has a pretty good electronic IS system... but it is still not as good as the K-5, and it crops. The only thing I prefer on that camera in terms of video is the AF system (phase detect video AF!), focus peaking during video and 50p (bitrates are a bit low for my liking though). But if I had the choice I'd probably still shoot on the K-5 instead, just because of the IS.
11-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #570
Veteran Member

One thing that turned me off about the Sony video samples I found on YouTube way back was that the AF seemed a little abrupt. It would be nice if the AF speed were slowed down, a little or were a custom setting, just for when video was actually being recorded.

I was probably unfairly influenced by one A57(?) review, where the lens exhibited severe breathing. It is really annoying to see the image growing and shrinking just due to AF. I know that not all lenses exhibit this property. I can say the FA31 seems pretty rock solid, no breathing action during focus pulls on my K-01.