Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Haven't tried anything in post yet, I must admit that I'm a bit confused by all the software... if only I could use the Lightroom controls for video
You can use LR Develop module controls for videos.

You need to extract a still from a video and then use the Develop module controls to process it to your liking. Once you are done, save a preset with the current Develop module settings. You can then apply this preset to a video. The result is a clip that has the processing applied to it from start to finish.

01-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #662
Veteran Member

Just to clarify the above:
Develop module for the still then Library module to apply the saved preset to the video.
Not all DM presets will be applied to the video. Vignette effect for example is ignored.
01-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #663
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You can use LR Develop module controls for videos.

You need to extract a still from a video and then use the Develop module controls to process it to your liking. Once you are done, save a preset with the current Develop module settings. You can then apply this preset to a video. The result is a clip that has the processing applied to it from start to finish.
OMG! Thank you! That sounds good. I might download Resolve Lite and give it a try, but if that doesn't work out... I'm trying the Magic Bullet Looks trial though, and I might even get my head around it. We'll see...
01-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #664
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

pTom: what does it show on a HDMI screen?
Given my personal experience with an Intensity Shuttle, I'm not that confident that the Pro PCIe card would work any better.
It shows what the camera lens "see" and together with some indicators on the top bar and the bottom bar . These indicators depends on the movie settings (P, Av,TAv or M ). I can't get rid of these information by any way.

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
And was that test done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme, or the UHS1 version?
I've got the class10 sort and the speeds I get from USB2 external card reader, vs the one built in to my laptop, vary by as much as 20Mb/s
My test was done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme . I have no idea why the results were vary too much. Brand manufacturers never lie what they implies in their products .

01-02-2014, 02:35 AM   #665
Forum Member

Anyway, the K-3 can shoot somewhere around 8 fps at 24 MP...
I made a mistake when using it . I had to wait for a very long time to let my K-3 finish flushing memory into the SD card .
And the show had finished before the K-3 was available
01-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pTom Quote
It shows what the camera lens "see" and together with some indicators on the top bar and the bottom bar . These indicators depends on the movie settings (P, Av,TAv or M ). I can't get rid of these information by any way.

My test was done with the Class10 '45Mb' Extreme . I have no idea why the results were vary too much. Brand manufacturers never lie what they implies in their products .
Hm. I have had my istDS be fast with one card and slow with another. Though in the card reader both were fast. Could be some compatibility thing?

Can the K-3 write to the cards in parallel? So one photo on one card, the next one on the other, and back to the first? Or on whatever card is ready...

Can't you shoot before it has finished flushing? Only the menu doesn't work until it has finished saving (on my K-5).
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #667
Veteran Member

ClassA / Steve : Thanks for the Lightroom tip!

Kadajawi : Resolve,... tells me I don't have Cuda,.. yet Premiere, Photoshop, and freebie Cuda enabled programs all find my Gigabyte GTX-470OC card and use the GPU.... Go Figure.

Yes, FPGA - from what I was reading, it's based on the same tech as Nand. Regardless, as we've both said, the K3's processor should be more then capable of handling HD at the data rates required for Compressed Cinema DNG.

01-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #668
Forum Member

Hm. I have had my istDS be fast with one card and slow with another. Though in the card reader both were fast. Could be some compatibility thing?

Can the K-3 write to the cards in parallel? So one photo on one card, the next one on the other, and back to the first? Or on whatever card is ready...

Can't you shoot before it has finished flushing? Only the menu doesn't work until it has finished saving (on my K-5).
I could shoot some more photos when it was flushing , but I couldn't shoot video until the red light was gone.
I forgot its ability of writing cards in parallel. But I feel that it isn't better with one fast card and one slow card. I will get another Sandisk 45MBs
01-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #669
Forum Member

Kind of embarrassing that the new entry-level Nikon D3300 can shoot 1080/60p and the K3 can't, especially since Nikon haven't exactly been pushing video features on their bodies...I really hope this can be added via K3 firmware.
01-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #670
Veteran Member

I think nobody will ever better the K-3 in this life.
It is not easy to accept Pentax factual low interests,
one feels they did a little mistake they want to correct ?

Pentax got a pool of fans just keen for photography - mostly
maybe for some simple private videos - first try and errors - to learn.

There are a few who want to "rise" from photo to video - in the same family
cause they have invested in glasses and love for this semiprofessional camera
with a strange high potential to be the best of all - one wants to feel and wish that.

In reality Pentax is bound to a problematic marketing - that tries to survive on the
market for years now. They just do to many mistakes and can't fully concentrate on
rising the quality as much as needed, because marketing bosses seem to hold them
down to small and cheep innovations only. It's a question of investing money that isn't there.
01-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crussellsprout Quote
Kind of embarrassing that the new entry-level Nikon D3300 can shoot 1080/60p and the K3 can't, especially since Nikon haven't exactly been pushing video features on their bodies...I really hope this can be added via K3 firmware.
Pentax is using more or less the same processors as Nikon, though Nikon modifies them a bit. Not sure if Pentax does so too, and to what extend. The lack of 60p is a lack in the Fujitsu processor in the K-3... seems like there is now an updated version, or Nikon has put some serious effort into it. IIRC the processor only does 60i, it could be that the camera deinterlaces that before saving... I have observed something like that (at least it looked that way) in a Panasonic camcorder... One of their higher end ones that is squarely aimed at consumers.

What confuses me is that Fujitsu just in September last year announced their 7th gen Milbeaut CPU, which should be what Nikon is using as Expeed 4 in their latest cameras (D5300 and D3300). http://jp.fujitsu.com/group/fsl/en/release/20130904-1.html But Fujitsu says 60i only... has Nikon modified the processor?

It will be interesting to see what will happen to these processors now that Panasonic has decided to work with Fujitsu on their next processors...

@Tom: I disagree. My idea of the marketing department at Pentax is a guy sitting bound and gagged in the corner. Pentax is building the camera their engineers want to use. Sadly no one of them seems to be interested in video. The K-3 has mechanical SR in LiveView... they bothered to implement that for a STILL photo feature. Couldn't be bothered for the video mode.

Edit: I've looked up what the partnership between Fujitsu and Panasonic is... it seems like they are actually joining forces. Nikon is a client for Fujitsu and can influence the way the processor goes, what has to be implemented etc., can modify the chip. But if I got it right (http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/pr/archives/month/2013/20130207-05.html) Fujitsu and Panasonic are forming a new company that will then supply Pentax, Leica and Nikon with new processors... and probably Panasonic too.

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-07-2014 at 08:58 PM.
01-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #672
Veteran Member

The K-3 has mechanical SR in LiveView... they bothered to implement that for a STILL photo feature. Couldn't be bothered for the video mode.
Y'know, I'm wondering about that. I don't know any DSLRs that use sensor-shift technology for video stabilisation.

And the only 'in lens' IS that I'm aware of for video is in the Canon XL series, not sure if Canon's IS for DSLR's in in the L-series glass works the same for video.

The method Pentax use where the image capture area floats on the sensor is the same as all video cameras since the advent of IS on DV, but,.. Up until the change over to the cheaper CMOS Rolling Shutter sensors, that floated IS was perfectly acceptable on CCD's with Global Shutter.

It's the combination of Rolling Shutter and 'float' IS that causes the Jello Wobble, and it's not going away for video until Rolling Shutter is replaced with Global Shutter.

The only artifacts that the Canon XL's used to show was a slight delay or roll back on pans, no jello.
01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #673
Veteran Member

Panasonic has optical IS in their camcorders (and they advertise it as such, for example Amazon.com: Panasonic PV-GS80 MiniDV Camcorder with 32x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo ). Sony too: Optical SteadyShot | Sony . They say it is superior to digital stabilization. Olympus has in body video stabilization for I believe their latest OM-D. Canon probably also has optical stabilization in their better camcorders.

I believe mostly only cheaper camcorders use digital stabilization, like Pentax.

Electronic IS is inferior to optical/mechanical IS, even if you use CCD, unless you use fast shutter speeds. Then, yes, it's fine. But as soon as the camera moves while the camera is exposing the sensor you will get motion blur. But when you watch the stabilized video you'll notice motion blur when the video isn't moving. And the motion blur comes, and goes, and you can see it in all its glory because the camera doesn't move. Just watch a pan, and press pause. That's how the video will occasionally be. You don't notice the blurriness while it is moving, but once it doesn't...
01-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #674
Veteran Member

Same for Tamron glasses - They call it: VC for Vibration Controle
And it works just phantastic - without any negative fall-out ...

Here the Tamron 17-50 / 2.8 with VC on board (on a Canon 60D)
Just watch that video after 3 seconds ... I shot it ... but I did NOT edit it !!

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-10-2014 at 02:22 AM.
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #675
Forum Member

That video looks fantastic. Shot with the K3 handheld and no Shake reduction?