Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #676
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
That video looks fantastic. Shot with the K3 handheld and no Shake reduction?
I believe his video was shot with some Canon and a Tamron lens that has stabilization built in. And I agree. I really like the stabilization job here, the lens did exactly what was necessary for the job. I doubt it could do what I like to do with my K-5, but when you don't move with your feet this works great. Then again the K-5 might smooth out too much in this sample.

If you use a stabilized lens on the K-3 the results should be similar, but good luck finding one. Otherwise you'll probably be able to get these sort of results with the built in movie SR deactivated and some sort of support rig, like a shoulder mount.

01-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #677
Veteran Member

Are Panasonic and Sony still releasing camera's with that In Lens system?
Downside looks like they had it on older cameras, all with fixed lenses.

I'll have to look up what the GH series uses.

The bluring mentioned above, I've not noticed it when I was shooting on my XL-1, though admittedly, I did end up leaving the x20 AF lens in the case once I got the x14 full manual lens.

And yes, IS off, camera on a rig, is always the best choice.
01-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #678
Veteran Member

The X900 from Panasonic http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HC-X900K which is from 2012 has it. I've used it before, and the IS is ridiculous. Filters out anything, even a Parkinson patient would be able to take smooth videos It is a bit strong though, looks a bit artificial cause of the way it transitions from stationary to movement.

If the XL1 has optical IS there is no blurrying. I have uploaded a sample video from the K-3 which shows all the problems of electronic SR, but I'm not at home right now. But if you find one of my videos I've posted here you should be able to find it on my account (kadajawi on YouTube).

Depends on the rig. Some will still let some bumps through that you might want to have filtered out. Say you have rollers and push the camera over the road. There may be some vibration etc., and mechanical/optical SR would filter it out.

Oh and yes, those were camcorders for consumers, so they only had fixed lenses.

The latest Panasonic GX7 I believe has a sensor based SR, but not during video it seems. At the moment only Olympus seems to be doing it. But they have a 5 axis systems which is superior to what Pentax has.

Btw., the iPhone 4s can record at 48 Mbps... It also seems to support a vast variety of frame rates...

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-09-2014 at 12:33 AM.
01-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #679
Veteran Member

X900,... nearly bought one of those, and the predecessor, for the screw on 3D attachment.

Yes, iPhone,.... but we're here because we like Pentax, rather then following the herd

01-09-2014, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #680
Veteran Member

'than'
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #681
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
X900,... nearly bought one of those, and the predecessor, for the screw on 3D attachment.

Yes, iPhone,.... but we're here because we like Pentax, rather then following the herd
Be glad you didn't, cause at 1080/50p there are some ugly artifacts IIRC. Maybe I can find and upload the sample some day.

And using the iPhone to do serious video stuff isn't that common. Watched a Film Riot episode where they did their short of the week with an iPhone to show how it is done, and it looked good. They used a ton of light. Anyway, my point was, Pentax gives us 24 Mbps, the iPhone 48?
01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #682
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-x uses mechanical shake reduction during video recording. It works very nicely.

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people want higher framerates than 24fps? Is it for slow motion, or for faster shutter angle? Personally, I find 24fps to be much more appealing than 60fps (except when I would like to use slow motion).

01-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #683
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The K-x uses mechanical shake reduction during video recording. It works very nicely.

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people want higher framerates than 24fps? Is it for slow motion, or for faster shutter angle? Personally, I find 24fps to be much more appealing than 60fps (except when I would like to use slow motion).
Well, while I also find 24 fps more appealing, some prefer the realism and sharpness of smoother motion. If you were used to movies, you are used to 24 fps. But if you prefered to play computer games, you prefer higher frame rates. Low frame rates look like you are playing on a slow computer.

You also have to be a bit careful to make it not look too stuttery...

Having the option to go for whatever framerate you want is nice in any case though. You don't have to use it, but it's nice it is there.
01-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #684
Veteran Member

Yes ... kadajawi remembered right - That video above was done with a Canon 60D

I now got my Pentax K-5 ... I think I prefer that over the K-3 ... and I will sell my K-7 now

The Canon 60D was there when Pentax had his K-5 coming out - and it was far ahead
to the Pentax ... The professionals did that Magic Lantern thing, and now Canon became
such a great tool .... just the handling of the Pentax body is nicer ... but well ... they just never
ever had the full package - since today with that K-3

Canon allready made did it so many years ago ... You can even add headphones to it via USB
when you go with Magic Lantern ... a highly sophisticated software added to the Canons that
gives them all the power the firmware hasn't yet on board ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 01-10-2014 at 02:44 AM.
01-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #685
Veteran Member

Tamron SP 70-200 mm F/2.8 Di VC USD im Vergleich mit Tamron SP AF 70-200 mm 2.8 Di LD IF Macro

This shows you the 70-200 / 2,8 by Tamron .... You can get it for Pentax - but for all other brands too.
For Pentax 1000,- € but without that VC in the lense - for other brands 2000,- € but with VC on board.

We though we were lucky with our SR on board ... We had a cheap way to use so many glasses now, for photo.
In the end we have ended with a cheap camera that can't afford to rise up to higher expectations when we are ready.

We have to leave Pentax when we want better tools for video.
Yes, that is sad.
01-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #686
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
For me, 50p makes for smooth slow motion in 1080/25p projects. If I need faster then that, I talk to a mate with an FS700.

50p was meant to replace 50i, which is mean to replace 25p,... but 4K and 8K are coming faster then expected,...

Frankly, for the average home viewer in front of a normal sized TV at the standard viewing distances, their eyes can't resolve better the HD detail anyway.
4K needs a big screen to display it, and IMHO 8K will remain 'specialty' displays and Digital Projection at Cinemas.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 01-12-2014 at 02:43 AM.
01-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #687
Veteran Member

For me, 50p makes for smooth slow motion in 1080/25p projects
sidequestion: can i throw a 50p shot (for possible slowmotion) in a 25p sequence (as all other shots will be recorded in 25p) in premiere without trouble?
tnx
01-11-2014, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #688
Veteran Member

For me, 50p makes for smooth slow motion in 1080/25p projects. If I need faster then that, I talk to a mate with an FS700.

50p was meant to replace 50i, which is mean to replace 25p,... but 4K and 8K are coming faster then expected,...

Frankly, for the average home viewer in front of a normal sized TV at the standard viewing distances, their eyes can resolve better the HD detail anyway.
4K needs a big screen to display it, and IMHO 8K will remain 'specialty' displays and Digital Projection at Cinemas.
To be honest our 42" plasma has 1024x768 resolution, and it is almost as sharp as a FullHD screen at the viewing distance in our living room. You can hardly make out the pixels. I've seen many 4K screens (70+ inches in Singapore, 50-65 inches in China), and they are very impressive. But unless you want a fully immersive experience (i.e. sit so close you can't see the corners of the screen) there isn't a big difference. It's more useful for cropping etc. I guess, and for those producing "proper" movies. The workflow could be a pain in the *** though, unless you have a massive computer and tons of storage. Anyway personally I prefer plasma screens over LCD ones, and since plasma will not make the transition to 4K (it seems almost impossible to do so, as a 4K plasma is difficult to produce and consumes so much electricity that it is illegal in many regions), I will stick with FullHD for the forseable future.

8K makes little sense IMHO, except for the high end market. I don't see that coming any time soon.

50i replace 25p... mhhh... I don't think so. Or if, that was a long time ago. Having interlacing was important due to the way CRTs work, and the tech that was available back in the 20s and 30s. The weird thing is that they kept 50i... I guess it was bandwidth related (as back in the 30s...). Cinema always kept 24p...
01-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #689
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
can i throw a 50p shot (for possible slowmotion) in a 25p sequence
Short answer, Yes.

I can't tell you the 'how' of Premiere, as I edit in GV Edius. In that I would just select a different playback rate for the video in the Clip Bin.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 01-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.
01-11-2014, 02:42 AM   #690
Veteran Member

Yes, 50i is a bandwidth hold-over - 50p eats a lot more data, 50p in HD exceeds the 320Gbit/s in HD-SDI, 50i doesn't.

8K & 'High End Market',.. yup, useful for production and digital cinema projection, and for the giant screens used in stadiums for sports replays and rock concerts.
For the home use,.. I'm so in the 'not needed' basket. It's beyond the resolvable detail of the human eye over a few meters distance.

Maybe for projecting Galifrean 3D art?