Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Essdubbya Quote
We may miss out on our silvers.
I'm just waiting on a black. Silver seemed too blingy, for my modest tastes.

My order is not directly with CRK, so I'm probably even further down the chain than you.

11-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Essdubbya Quote
We may miss out on our silvers.
Hm? Well, there are people who have received their silvers... like me :P

According to Bob Litchfield, who posted on the Pentax Facebook page, only 50 of those were made available in Australia... feel somewhat lucky I got mine with that number.
11-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a black from DCW in Sydney yesterday afternoon - they had them in the store - I hadn't pre-ordered - but once I held it, I knew it was for me.

Had them with the kit lenses (no body only option) and came with free Flucard. I got one with an 18-55WR as I don't have that lens and will find it useful as a basic when I go to Darwin in the wet. $1487...perhaps I paid too much from what people are saying here, but in deciding between art summer school (think room full of people and oil paint and solvent fumes for a week) and a K-3 at around the same price, it was no contest and I wanted it NOW.

Did a bit of a walk round today at the botanical gardens with my 40mm 2.8 Ltd and 18-135 WR and while I still have a bit of figuring out as far as custom modes etc go, it's so much sharper and faster than my K-5 that I am delighted. Colours seem nicer too.
11-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #214
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Picked up a black from DCW in Sydney yesterday afternoon - they had them in the store - I hadn't pre-ordered - but once I held it, I knew it was for me.

Had them with the kit lenses (no body only option) and came with free Flucard. I got one with an 18-55WR as I don't have that lens and will find it useful as a basic when I go to Darwin in the wet. $1487...perhaps I paid too much from what people are saying here, but in deciding between art summer school (think room full of people and oil paint and solvent fumes for a week) and a K-3 at around the same price, it was no contest and I wanted it NOW.

Did a bit of a walk round today at the botanical gardens with my 40mm 2.8 Ltd and 18-135 WR and while I still have a bit of figuring out as far as custom modes etc go, it's so much sharper and faster than my K-5 that I am delighted. Colours seem nicer too.
Congrats on your purchase, I rang DCW and they told me they were expecting stock on the 20th and that I could place an order.
They also did not know if it was coming with a FLU Card nor did they even know what a FLU card was! I have had great service from DCW for over 13 years, but now they force you to call a 1300 number and speak to someone who doesn't seem to know there stuff.
I ended up purchasing a K-3 body from Camera Warehouse Sydney for $1310 delivered with FLU card.
I emailed Teds to see if they could price match, they replied that due to lack of stock they could not help me.
Happy shooting!

Last edited by DaveXT; 11-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.
11-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Pretty much my experience too.
11-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Camera Pro Sydney
$1310 is a good price. But I thought Camera Pro only had stores in Brisbane?
11-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #217
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
$1310 is a good price. But I thought Camera Pro only had stores in Brisbane?
Apologize that should be Camera warehouse Sydney.

11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Apologize that should be Camera warehouse Sydney.
Camera Warehouse is where I ordered mine from, and it arrived today. First impressions are limited to handling and AF: feels like a K-5 but AF is definitely quick in interior (office) lighting, although I need to complete the setup after charging the flat battery. Second impressions will have to wait for lunchtime walkabout, with charged battery. Mine cost $1,323.10, including FLUcard (non-Pentax special), shipping and credit card charge (for Visa).

Another viewfinder cap to lose, I note. Why can't they reintroduce viewfinder blinds, as on the K2DMD etc? Perhaps we'll have to wait for the K-3F (my shorthand for the K-3 body, fitted with a 35mm sensor - makes sense to me and those who don't opt for it can have the K-3FA version, with the "A" for "APS-C" ), but these little things used to form part of the appeal of Pentax in past times - note to Ricoh: Product Differentiation item.

And another little thing: I like the more subtle logo on the neck strap. I used a new-old leather strap from my K2DMD on the K-5 because I disliked the me-too shouty red logo strap supplied with it. Subtle, like the Ricoh name under the LCD (which is nice, too, BTW).
11-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
K-3F (my shorthand for the K-3 body, fitted with a 35mm sensor
FF, would that become the K-1?
11-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #220
Veteran Member

viewfinder blinds
My Ricoh XR2S has a viewfinder blind switch. It was very useful for time lapse etc. Unfortunately a bump to the camera dislodged something (20 years ago, when I last tried to use that feature) and the switch never moved the blind again. The only way to fix it would have been to take the whole top plate off the camera.

Sometimes simple solutions (like viewfinder caps) have their advantages.
11-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
FF, would that become the K-1?
You have to leave room for the next generation. Eventually, you run out of numbers by counting backward, so I reckon they should be conserved and extended (K-3->K-3ii: K-3F->K-3Fii etc). Anyway, if you're putting a bigger sensor in the K-3 body, you shouldn't confuse people with an entirely different base number. The Sony A7 and A7r are examples of this, although the difference is in pixel density, not sensor size, I admit.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.
11-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My Ricoh XR2S has a viewfinder blind switch. It was very useful for time lapse etc. Unfortunately a bump to the camera dislodged something (20 years ago, when I last tried to use that feature) and the switch never moved the blind again. The only way to fix it would have been to take the whole top plate off the camera.

Sometimes simple solutions (like viewfinder caps) have their advantages.
What can I say? They're no use if you misplace them. My K2DMD had lots of frames under its belt when I bought it (it had data and 250 backs available, as it had been a working professional photographer's camera before that - how I wish I'd bought them, too, but the needs of a young family came first) and showed all the signs of it on the body. The viewfinder blinds still work.
11-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have to leave room for the next generation. Eventually, you run out of numbers by counting backward, so I reckon they should be conserved and extended (K-3->K-3ii: K-3F->K-3Fii etc). Anyway, if you're putting a bigger sensor in the K-3 body, you should confuse people with an entirely different base number. The Sony A7 and A7r are examples of this, although the difference is in pixel density, not sensor size, I admit.
Well, perhaps the K-9 for the FF model
11-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Well, perhaps the K-9 for the FF model
Or maybe the K-35…
11-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #225

I called my LPS today with whom I placed my order, informed that the first shipment of K-3's are all allocated, and unfortunately none for you! New shipment will be "mid-December"

There were promises made when I placed the order, as the assistant had 'just spoken to the rep' and the time factor (going OS) was stressed. After some 'instruction she has now agreed to 'ring around'...