Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Bob: What did you have happen to your K-01?
1. My scew drive went screwball. It sounded like the screw drive would not engage but the issue was much more interesting. At first it wouldn't find focus. then the screwdrive motor would be going and not moving the lens. Turing the camera off didn't turn the camera off, I had to pull out the battery. The problem was repeatable. So you have plenty of warning.

I only got the K-01 as backup because one of my K5s had a once off issue. I have used it a lot because it is light and I have one or two K5 with big lenses hanging off my shoulders. I was surprised at how much I enjoy using it with a small lens.

2. I had a look at the FLUcard website about 3 weeks ago and they only referred to the 8gig card.

11-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very pleasant surprise while walking through the CBD in little, remote Hobart the other day:

But, when a friend walked in there (Stallards, you know who you are...) the salesperson tried to talk him out of it and (surprise, surprise) sell him a Nikon D7100 instead, saying something like "It's not a very good camera". Why do CRK bother with some of these people, when they deliberately sabotage sales like that?
11-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #243
Veteran Member

Not a very good salesman more like.

Or maybe you could have said "I know it's not a very good camera, but I'll take it off your hands at cost?"
11-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #244
Veteran Member

I like Steve's reply, but I also hope someone from CRK is reading this and keeping and eye on salespeople like this. That's either gross stupidity in not making a sale, personal bias trying to prevent a sale, or a result of a kick-back arrangement.
Regardless, it's crappy service. The salesperson would have better served the customer by getting the camera out for the customer to assess, and simply mentioning what the competitors units were for the customer to make a comparison.
Heck, I wonder if the salespersons manager is aware that a sale may have been lost due to the salespersons bias.

11-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #245
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's pretty disappointing to hear isn't it... I was talking to Walch Optics a few weeks ago too, and asked about the K3, and they made some fairly negative comments - although it was more about Pentax in general than the K3 specifically. Personally my Silver K3 arrived a couple of days ago and I am looking forward to putting it through its paces! First impressions of the live view autofocus are very good Havent been able to get the pics on the computer yet as the old K5 cable doesn't seem to connect to the K3, and there was no new cable in the box...
11-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I like Steve's reply, but I also hope someone from CRK is reading this and keeping and eye on salespeople like this. That's either gross stupidity in not making a sale, personal bias trying to prevent a sale, or a result of a kick-back arrangement.
Regardless, it's crappy service. The salesperson would have better served the customer by getting the camera out for the customer to assess, and simply mentioning what the competitors units were for the customer to make a comparison.
Heck, I wonder if the salespersons manager is aware that a sale may have been lost due to the salespersons bias.
It's a good reply, I agree. I might just go in there and verify my friend's experience for myself.

There was a time when CRK themselves seemed a little diffident about Pentax sales, but from what I can see recently, that attitude is not present now, if it ever was. So, yes, I echo your sentiment about CRK keeping an eye on proceedings in PF, so they can provide advice and feedback to their onsellers, such as the ones we're talking about here.
11-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #247
Veteran Member

I thought most camera sales people did that. That's why there are a range of stores I don't go near. When I purchased my spotmatic F in 1974 they tried desperately to sell me a yashica - a what might you ask? Had the same story plenty of more times. I think it has to do with profit margin or bonus points.

11-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #248
Veteran Member

I think CRK need to be careful the way they are marketing the Flu card with the K-3. There should be a big "This card does NOT support tethering" sticker on the packaging at least.
11-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think CRK need to be careful the way they are marketing the Flu card with the K-3. There should be a big "This card does NOT support tethering" sticker on the packaging at least.
That particular one doesn't but the one that is intended for the camera is supposed to.
11-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #250
Veteran Member

Still waiting for my order from CRK. Just rang and they said they are still waiting for their shipment. Pentax snaps Facebook Page yesterday said some had just been sent out to retailers. Wonder if it is worth cancelling my order and finding one in stock?
11-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Wonder if it is worth cancelling my order and finding one in stock?
Well you could do a ring around to some of the retailers like Digital Camera Warehouse, DigiDirect, or Camera Warehouse, for example, to see if they have any in stock. If CRK were unable to give an arrival date, you could be waiting a while.

But it all depends on whether you got a good deal from CRK, and how keen you are to get ahold of the camera, I guess.
11-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #252

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

They should market the thing as a camera heater for winter use!

That's all I could get mine to do - get very hot.
11-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Well you could do a ring around to some of the retailers like Digital Camera Warehouse, DigiDirect, or Camera Warehouse, for example, to see if they have any in stock. If CRK were unable to give an arrival date, you could be waiting a while.

But it all depends on whether you got a good deal from CRK, and how keen you are to get ahold of the camera, I guess.
A friend of mine just ordered a K-3 from Camera Warehouse, where they were in stock 24 hours ago. I haven't checked since.
11-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A friend of mine just ordered a K-3 from Camera Warehouse, where they were in stock 24 hours ago. I haven't checked since.
Yep... Rang them today and they are holding one for me to process an order tonight. They had 3 when I spoke to him this afternoon (2pm QLD). Just got to hope CRK have no issues and process a refund straight away. Can't afford to buy 2 of these things!

Last edited by dcBear78; 11-27-2013 at 07:13 AM.
11-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been waiting patiently on a pre-order from DCW since before the launch. DCW told me that a shipment was due around the 20/11 and when it arrived it was K3 kits with lens. I am after a body only. I think this may explain why some orders are fulfilled (kits) and some staying on back-order (body only). DCW have said the next shipment is due around 20/12 but they don't know if it is body-only or K3 kits.

Has anybody sourced a K3 body only from Aust re-sellers??