Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A firmware upgrade is what I am hoping for.

10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it needs to be much faster then the transferrate for Eye-Fi to be a real workable tool I think.
Roughly 2MB/sec which is also approximately the same speed as the Eye-Fi.
It's one 802.11n transfer channel (802.11n can do two) bottlenecked by the SD memory speed (at least the Eye-Fi was bottlenecked by that).
The Eye-Fi creator (he was answering questions on model mayhem) said the limit was around 17Mbit/sec which is roughly 2MB/sec.

Transfer smallest JPEG (6MP?)....that's the only way you'll get an acceptable experience.
Even then, the code on the card has to do roughly this:
- do I have stuff to transfer?
- is wifi connected?
- bring up server so others can connect to me
- if memory is not busy (you're not doing image preview or taking photos), do transfer

So the theoretical 2sec for that 4MB file turns into 5sec or more...
10-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The point of the FluCard isn't WiFi transfer. Eye-Fi does that fine and the K-3 carries over all the embedded Eye-Fi functions from the Q and K-50.

The point of Pentax Flu is external monitor (better than articulated LCD) and remote operation (tethering).
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The point of the FluCard isn't WiFi transfer. Eye-Fi does that fine and the K-3 carries over all the embedded Eye-Fi functions from the Q and K-50.

The point of Pentax Flu is external monitor (better than articulated LCD) and remote operation (tethering).
I think, they will transfer the picture of the lcd screen, which may be roundabout 720 * 480 pixel.

So it will be something like the hdmi output, which works fine on a K-5. You get everything on the external Monitor (mine is a 7" one), what is seen on the lcd screen, including settings, histogramm, zooming in....

That is perfect for remote live view and setup. When you trigger, the picture may be transfered or stored on the card. Hopefully you can select the other card to for storing, When you are doing RAW with 36 MBytes it take quite a time to transfer, therefore it would be better to store it on a card.

10-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
When you trigger, the picture may be transferred or stored on the card
I have learned from experience with my Q (and my wife's) the practical use of transferring is limited to low-res jpeg's to a phone or tablet for display or social media sharing. Whether selected ad hoc or simply set to transfer all into a purse or pocket, the transfer is acceptably quick.

When using that feature with an Eye-Fi Mobi making her phone a Wi-Fi Hotspot, my wife shoots jpeg, which is snappy. I use an Eye-Fi Pro and shoot Raw+ and transfer to jpeg's tablet on demand, preferably when a Wi-Fi network is present. I download the RAW files to my laptop for PP the traditional card reader way.

We don't use their cloud site at all..
10-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I have learned from experience with my Q (and my wife's) the practical use of transferring is limited to low-res jpeg's to a phone or tablet for display or social media sharing. Whether selected ad hoc or simply set to transfer all into a purse or pocket, the transfer is acceptably quick.
When I've used P K Tether to shoot tethered with my K-5IIs, I downloaded the DNGs to study details of the photo to make adjustments. So although it would be good to be able to view low resolution versions and view pretty much in real time, I think there is still a use for downloading the entire DNG.
10-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When using that feature with an Eye-Fi Mobi making her phone a Wi-Fi Hotspot, my wife shoots jpeg, which is snappy. I use an Eye-Fi Pro and shoot Raw+ and transfer to jpeg's tablet on demand, preferably when a Wi-Fi network is present. I download the RAW files to my laptop for PP the traditional card reader way.

We don't use their cloud site at all..
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
When I've used P K Tether to shoot tethered with my K-5IIs, I downloaded the DNGs to study details of the photo to make adjustments. So although it would be good to be able to view low resolution versions and view pretty much in real time, I think there is still a use for downloading the entire DNG.
For me it is a time thing. I cannot abide watching the hourglass while my machine is tied up acceopting the transfer. I hate PP and I only actually develop a very few images, and even then only when I'm in the mood. I still have a folder of images from June vacation that I ahven't worked on yet.

And I really hate Lightroom.

In another thread someone asks why we still use film cameras. My real answer is because they have film in them. Someone else develops and prints the film.

10-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm using my cameras with pk-tether in a repro-Stativ. Unfortunately the cameras are above my eyes, so I can't use the live view or the OVF, With the K-5 I'm using an external 7" HDMI-display for focussing an anligning.
I hope that this will become easier with the flu-card, when I can get a liveView on the PC or tablet. Because of the transfer speed I would prefer to store the Pictures on the sd-cards and transfering them after the shooting to the PC. My case is a little special, because i'm digitising books, and I'm doing round about 15 pictures in a minute and that are big books, a slow transfer would be incredible.

I hope that the flu card is at least at the level of pk-tether with liveview added.
10-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
To connect to the device (FLU/K-3) from a PC, you will need WIFI on that PC.

I'm interested to see how you'll do it if your PC is connecting to a Gbit network using Ethernet. That's what I have at home, my PC does not have wireless connection. What I would hope is that the FLU/K-3 can be configured with an IP and connect to my home wireless router so I can connect/map a drive from my PC.
All that is needed is a wireless card or a usb wifi adapter can be bought for less than 10 bucks and does not have to have anything to do with your internet
10-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
All that is needed is a wireless card or a usb wifi adapter can be bought for less than 10 bucks and does not have to have anything to do with your internet
Yep. That's how Eye-Fi works too, as a second choice. Better if it connects to a wireless rounter or WAP, but it can pair with any device's Wi-Fi signal.
10-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
The point and the expectation is to avoid having to get more equipment that I already have. The pc is wired to a router and wireless access point already.

My wireless printer does not require me to add more hardware to my PC...

Last edited by mamethot; 10-10-2013 at 08:07 AM.
10-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Anyway as per my previous post, this was an existing feature of the flu, therefore it is not unreasonable to expect it in Pentax's implementation.
10-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
The point and the expectation is to avoid having to get more equipment that I already have. The pc is wired to a router and wireless access point already.

My wireless printer does not require me to add more hardware to my PC...
If that is the case a Pentax FluCard Pro should connect to your computer through your existing wireless network just as your wireless printer does. If the FLuCard Pro is anything like an Eye-Fi Card itn will have a unique address (MAC address). Your network might assign it an ID (mine did) or you might be set up to manually assign them (less likely) but joining should be as easy as it was for your printer..
10-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Activate device wifi and connect to Flashair card, launch device browser, go to http://flashair/... Done.... LOL!
In the demo video I saw the user can open a browser and connect to the FLUcard web IP and do the same.

I also read somewhere that the FlashAir was developed by the same company that makes the FLU. Review: Trek Flashair wireless LAN SD card
10-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Ihave been thinking about this Flu, and also looking from web, and your conclusions, I'm pretty excited of what I can do with this. Espesially when I'm doing product shots. It would really help me with fine adjustments with lights, product placement holding on something to be in picture, while shooting it...nice. Can't really wait. This same thing would apply for video too.? Right.?