Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Ihave been thinking about this Flu, and also looking from web, and your conclusions, I'm pretty excited of what I can do with this. Espesially when I'm doing product shots. It would really help me with fine adjustments with lights, product placement holding on something to be in picture, while shooting it...nice. Can't really wait. This same thing would apply for video too.? Right.?
Indeed!

Funnily enough I was thinking of playing and learning about lighting by doing "product shoots" with random stuff I have around the house (trying things of different shape, size, etc)... and wireless tethering would definitely help!

10-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would use this to take pictures of my puppets and my shows. Maybe even make small video clips. So I would end up on stage with puppets, now I could see straight away what is in shot and what is not, focus ect. And would not have to shoot with remote and hope for the best. yeah!
10-11-2013, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would find this amazingly useful for macro work - especially ground level stuff on things like small flowers etc, or animals on the ground etc. However, I have three main concerns:

1) Liveview lag - how many fps will this manage
2) Input lag - what will the delay be in camera control from the smartphone - and will it support literally all functionality? or just basic Av etc modes
3) What's the hit on battery life to both the camera and the phone - this could be pretty significant
10-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #64
Veteran Member

This same thing would apply for video too.? Right.?
If you can transfer video at 2MB/sec. That's the speed limit if your phone/tablet are close and less if not.
Video generally needs more than that though you can do it w/ the GoPro and Parrot decently within 40-50'...

10-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If you can transfer video at 2MB/sec. That's the speed limit if your phone/tablet are close and less if not.
Video generally needs more than that though you can do it w/ the GoPro and Parrot decently within 40-50'...
Allrighty...ofcourse you can't just monitor your shooting w/o downloading it... Hmm. Well that is not so important.
10-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Allrighty...ofcourse you can't just monitor your shooting w/o downloading it... Hmm. Well that is not so important.
"monitor" is different from full 30-60fps video.
So let's do some back of napkin calculations...

720x480(rear LCD resolution) x3 (color info) = 1036800 (that's full frame buffer 24-bit color)....roughly 1MB

So you get 2 fps max over a 2MB/sec wifi link.
Add JPEG compression and you'll shrink that data size by roughly 5:1. So you get 10fps...maybe That assumes you're nearby and have no interference so you get 2MB/sec.

You can do the math for 720p and 1080p
10-11-2013, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

720x480(rear LCD resolution) x3 (color info) = 1036800 (that's full frame buffer 24-bit color)....roughly 1MB

Add JPEG compression and you'll shrink that data size by roughly 5:1. So you get 10fps...maybe That assumes you're nearby and have no interference so you get 2MB/sec.

A video stream is more compact than the equivalent number of JPEG frames. The video compression codecs take advantage of the similarity between one frame and the next to achieve further compression. In other words a lot of the information is reused by several subsequent frames. So 25 FPS video at 720x480 will actually consume far less than if you were to transmit 25 jpegs per second of that same resolution.

Just for a sense of scale, DVD quality video (standard, not HD) needs roughly 1 MB per second, including stereo sound. Blue ray quality (full HD) would need about 6 MB per second.

More recent and efficient codecs can do much better. When I watch a streaming HD video (720p) on my smartphone it uses less than 1 MB per second

I think even standard DVD quality should be more than sufficient for viewing on a 3" LCD so I think it should be quite easy to implement even with 50FPS.

10-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Well if this would be possible, it would be great. If not, well it will not rock my boat. Let's see. It would open many doors for me. I'm pretty much ready for this cam to come right this way.
10-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Does anybody know if this Pentax dedicated FLUcard will also work with my other cameras as a regular WIFI-sd card? (Canon and Sony)
10-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Does anybody know if this Pentax dedicated FLUcard will also work with my other cameras as a regular WIFI-sd card?
My guess would be that it would also work as a regular (non Pentax-labelled) FLU card too. If it didn't, it would stop being a FLU card. So I'd say yes.
10-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #71
Veteran Member

My guess would be the same, but I can't find anything concluding.
10-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #72

I think the future is made from body with integrated WiFi while solutions as the use of Flucard would be interesting if they allow to enable any type of digital camera with a WiFi remote control that does not have the WiFi built-in, as a last resort, with no penalty in terms of functionalities. (1)
That would be great since would open great opportunities.

Note:
(1) I don't know if this thing would be technically feasible on old camera but could be nice at least on the entry-level if the integration of the WiFi, as now, is too expensive (but i don't think so).
10-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Hoping that the FLU is as good as seen in this video...

10-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #74
Veteran Member

This function is of extreme interest to me, and might be the only thing that would make me an early adopter of the K3---if it works. I'm very skeptical, because, as Ron pointed out, the performance of these cards of all brands has been very disappointing as portals for downloading images. I hope that the live view performance will be better.
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this card available anywhere? Even for pre-order? I could not find it on B&H.